First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

First Among Sequels (edition 2007)

by Jasper Fforde

4,2311561,176 (3.96)1 / 312
Member:MissMac
Title:First Among Sequels
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2007), Hardcover, 416 pages

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

Recently added byprivate library, JessicaHudkins, AbbyClara, readinghideout, pcs69, BriarRose88, Kylwell, kathipink
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Funny, fantasy/alternative celebrations of books and writers and the magical worlds they create.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    The Wee Musketeers by Robert Bresloff (FMRox)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (153)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All (156)
What an amazing series! I still love it as much this second time through.

Have you ever considered a Stupidity Deficit, or the method for reversing it? What if the second law of thermodynamics could be altered, and what if all of the future weighed upon that alteration? Thursday Next tackles these issues and so much more. What's amaxing is how much fun it is to experience all of this right along with her. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 10, 2017 |
Don’t want to spoil the book so I will not go into much detail but one part of this book made me dislike the protagonist its added nothing to the plot and made her seem cold hand heartless. Thats why it gets a 2 ( )
  Graeme.Dyas | May 3, 2017 |
High-larious. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | May 1, 2017 |
Um... I don't even know what to say about this one. Trying to talk about any of the Next novels is hard, but this one has just got too many things going on. It's not bad, but I didn't like it. It got better towards the end, but it felt like Fforde was writing this like it was the last one until the last 1/3. I also got the impression that he was making future book-writing easier on himself:

Destroying the ChronoGuard has to make future plotting easier; some of the time paradoxes that are in these 5 books hurt to read about - I can't imagine creating them.

But while a few big issues are tied up in bows (see spoiler above - or don't if you haven't read this yet), there were a LOT of things left unanswered, like the Holmes and Brennen issues and what has he done to Pickwick!!!

So I didn't like Pickwick's lack of page time and when he was in scenes he was marginalised. I didn't like the time jump either - I get why Fforde might have done it, but I imagine Thursday as a bit of an action/adventure heroine, and it's rather hard to maintain that image when Thursday is in her 50's trying not to notice her greying hair. I'm not saying I didn't get there in the end, (I'm in Thursday's demographic myself and I'd like to think I could keep on adventuring) but Fforde made me work harder for it than seems reasonable. Aornis Hades' manipulation of Thursday added to my struggle to get behind this story. I also didn't like the multiple Thursday Nexts; they were just over-the-top caricatures.

So really, there was a lot I didn't like. But I did love the bookworld scenes, and whenever there was any interaction with the book characters, I had a lot of fun. The final scenes in the Bookworld were excellent too - I really enjoyed reading about TN's time spent on that ship. I also love how he segued into the next book's plot (and it made me laugh).

So not really a useful review, really - the book is just such a departure in so many ways from the previous 4 books. I'm still looking forward to the next one but not as much as I looked forward to the earlier books. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 6, 2016 |
I struggled to see how Fforde could follow the last Thursday Next book when everything was tied up so well and unfortunately my fears were realised; I liked it the least of the Thursday books I've read so far. I don't like the time-skip (I really hate when authors do that, it often feels completely unnatural), I don't like the characterisation of her children, particularly the part where Tuesday solves Fermat's Last Theorem (why are authors so obsessed with relating intelligence back to that particular proof?), and the first hundred pages or so are just a retread of what we already know about the book world. I'll probably read the next one (hehe, Next) but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it would have been better if he'd just stopped after four. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
By the time we reach the fifth volume, First Among Sequels, Fforde has firmly regained his footing, and the plot moves along like a well-turned simile.
added by Katya0133 | editYale Review, David Galef (Oct 1, 2008)

First Among Sequels is for adults who want sophisticated wit with their fantasy, but who still possess an appreciation for the intricate worldbuilding of a well-imagined children’s novel.
added by Katya0133 | editNew Statesman, Jean Edelstein (Aug 13, 2007)

While Fforde's humor can be affecting, it can also grate with its self-consciousness, as the author nudges readers to admire his verbal dexterity.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Jul 23, 2007)

It's an ingenious premise that makes for a thrill ride of a read. And it's not entirely necessary — though perhaps more fun — to read the books in the proper order. Fforde gives enough background in "Thursday Next" to inform readers of all they need to know to find both books hilarious, exhilarating and just a bit exhausting.

Fans of satiric literary humor are in for a treat.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 14, 2007)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meconis, DylanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mudron, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cressida,
the bestest sister in the world
The dangerously high level of the stupidity surplus was once again the lead story in The Owl that morning.

Fourteen years after she pegged out at the 1988 SuperHoop, Thursday Next is grappling with a host of problems in the BookWorld: a recalcitrant new apprentice, the death of Sherlock Holmes, and the inexplicable departure of comedy from the once-hilarious Thomas Hardy novels. The Council of Genres is trying to broker a peace deal between certain antagonistic genres: Racy Novel has been recklessly placed between Ecclesiastical and Feminist, and they are at each other's throats. Meanwhile, back in Swindon, the government is reporting a dangerously high stupidity surplus, and Thursday's idle sixteen-year-old son would rather sleep all day than follow his destiny as a member of the ChronoGuard. Not only does she captain the ship Moral Dilemma to the very limits of acceptable narrative possibilities, but Thursday also finds she must face down her most vicious enemy yet: herself.

Literary sleuth Thursday Next is out to save literature in the fifth installment of Jasper Fforde’s wildly popular series

Beloved for his prodigious imagination, his satirical gifts, his literate humor, and sheer silliness, Jasper Fforde has delighted book lovers since Thursday Next first appeared in The Eyre Affair, a genre send-up hailed as an instant classic. Since the no-nonsense literary detective from Swindon made her debut, literature has never been quite the same. Neither have nursery rhymes, for that matter. With two successful books of the Nursery Crime series under his belt, Fforde takes up once again the brilliant adventures of his signature creation in the highly anticipated fifth installment of the Thursday Next series. And it’s better than ever.

It’s been fourteen years since Thursday pegged out at the 1988 SuperHoop, and Friday is now a difficult sixteen year old. However, Thursday’s got bigger problems. Sherlock Holmes is killed at the Rheinback Falls and his series is stopped in its tracks. And before this can be corrected, Miss Marple dies suddenly in a car accident, bringing her series to a close as well. When Thursday receives a death threat clearly intended for her written self, she realizes what’s going on—there is a serial killer on the loose in the Bookworld. And that’s not all—The Goliath Corporation is trying to deregulate book travel. Naturally, Thursday must travel to the outer limits of acceptable narrative possibilities to triumph against increasing odds.

Packed with word play, bizarre and entertaining subplots, and old-fashioned suspense, Thursday’s return is sure to be celebrated by Jasper’s fanatical fans and the critics who have loved him since the beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

Fourteen years after the 1988 SuperHoop, Thursday finds herself entangled in cases involving the murders of Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple before receiving a death threat of her own.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible