Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict

by Laurie Viera Rigler

Series: Jane Austen Addict (1)

Transported through time to Regency England, heartbroken Jane Austen fan Courtney Stone is forced to live the discouragingly difficult life of a nineteenth-century woman and finds herself experiencing memories that are not her own.

Not quite as good as I had hoped upon starting. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book. I’m not super knowledgeable of Jane Austen’s works, having only read Emma, but that didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Of course, had I known all the references, my experience would have been richer, but it didn’t disrupt the flow of the book or render confusion.

I think humor is one of the hardest things to write about and the author did so well with it, making me laugh out loud at times, which not every book can boast!

There was one scene that drove me and my froomie (friend/roomie) crazy, and it was the scene in London where the main character meets someone coming out of a shop. Saying no more because I don’t want to give spoilers, but good gravy, that was nuts!

Time travel, literature, love, humor, sassy women, sensitive men: This book is quite complex in certain areas. I wonder if the author wrote a book from the actual Jane’s perspective, as a companion to this Courtney-centric story? Hmmmm...

coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
This book wasn't very well written. I listened to it on my ipod touch. It was really entertaining though. It was a "Freaky Friday" adventure for adults. A god listen for sure! ( )
  Jeanene_KP | Apr 6, 2020 |
1.5 stars ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Mar 28, 2020 |
Digital audiobook narrated by Orlagh Cassidy.

From the book jacketAfter nursing a broken engagement with Jane Austen novels and Absolut, Courtney Stone wakes up and find herself not in her Los Angeles bedroom, or even in her own body, but inside the bedchamber of a woman in Regency England. Who but an Austen addict like herself could concoct such a fantasy? Not only is Courtney stuck in another woman’s life, she is forced to pretend she actually is that woman, and despite knowing nothing about her, she manages to fool even the most astute observer.

My reactions
I should have read the book jacket and put the book aside. This was just ridiculous on so many levels, and Courtney was a total idiot whom I wanted to slap on about every other page.

Okay, at least Rigler disabused fans of the Regency era of some of their more romantic notions with some in-your-face reality (outdoor privy, chamber pots, body odor, greasy hair, etc). The plot line was mildly entertaining, and played with time travel, identity and memory. The reader is asked to believe that Courtney has really become Jane Mansfield and that NO ONE in her circle realizes she is really a different person in Jane’s body.

Oh well, it was a fast read (or listen).

Orlagh Cassidy does a great job despite the poor material. I’ve listened to several of her narrations and come to appreciate her gift f ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 3, 2020 |

Laurie Viera Riglerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Orlagh, CassidyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Till this moment, I never knew myself.
--Jane Austen,
Pride and Prejudice
I dedicate this book to Austen addicts past, present, and future; and most of all, to Jane Austen, whose bit of ivory is an endless source of wisdom and joy for this humble admirer. If there is any justice in the world, Miss Austen, then there is a parallel reality in which that lovely young man from the seaside didn't die young, you lived to write at least six more novels, and the two of you grew happily old together, preferably without children.
Why is it so dark in here?
This is a story of characters changing bodies and lives with Courtney Stone in Jane Mansfield's body. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict is the parallel story of Jane Mansfield in Courtney Stone's body. It is probably best to read this book first.

Laurie Viera Rigler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,841,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible