Confessions of a Jane Austen addict : a…

Confessions of a Jane Austen addict : a novel (edition 2007)

by Laurie Viera Rigler

Member:annie-b
Title:Confessions of a Jane Austen addict : a novel
Authors:Laurie Viera Rigler
Info:New York : Dutton, c2007.
Rating:**
Tags:time travel, overdrive ebook

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

The last thing Courtney Stone can remember is nursing her recently broken heart with a Jane Austin Novel and some Absolut. Now she has awoken in Austin’s England living the life of Jane Mansfield (yes, the reader and the character both realize the implications of the name) and living it quite well. This was a clever time travel/body swap story. I especially liked Courtney/Jane’s reactions to things such as chamber pots and personal hygiene. All of a sudden Austin’s England was just a tad less romantic. It was a fun read and apparently there is a second installment telling Jane’s adventures in L.A. in Courtney’s life. I’ll definitely be picking it up to wile away another pleasant Sunday afternoon. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I’d be more proud of the fact that it is only January 2 and I have already commenced and completed a 300 page novel, but well, I confess to having skimmed bits of it and generally found it a little on the “too easy” reading side. It felt like the style of writing was geared toward the junior high set. I mean, the vocabulary wasn’t adolescent but the depth of emotion, description and general-roundness in the writing was decidedly lacking.

And yet, I won’t completely pan (but almost) Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. It’s an interesting idea, better done than some others (I wish I could remember the name of the horrible one I read where a modern girl becomes Jane Austen and has something going on with a guy on a horse… not memorable I guess). Here a modern thirty-ish “independent” girl from LA magically swoops into Jane Mansfield’s life in Regency England. (I say “independent” because the girl seems to base her LA life value on the horrible man she was attached to there out of desperation not to be lonely, and that is really not all that independent, is it?) There is no real attempt to show how this happened other than a very random psychic she chases down in Bath (no, really).

I think the author tried to deal with the practicality parts of living in that time as most fan fics seem to glibly gloss over or fail to mention at all, which I would like to applaud. But it is all so disjointed and in fits in starts that for nearly the first half of the book I felt like Ms. Rigler had some sort of “checklist for what would be weird if a 21st century girl landed in 19th century times.” The bit about her “monthly courses” was a bit much. Although, in the same vein, Jane’s horror at the thought of bathing in the waters in Bath next to some old broad with exposed pustules on her leg was pretty bang on.

The supposed love story between Jane and her “man” Edgeworth was just strange and really nothing more than intense lust she was trying to deny out of trust issues (poor man actually seemed to love her). And yet, with those same trust issues, she eschews polite strictures between men and women of that time meeting a servant in a public place and allowing him to touch her (or her to touch him??) and almost has sex with some guy she meets at a raucous London party. I get that the point of that was for her to have a revelation about sex and sloppy seconds or one night stands, but the whole approach to Jane’s fitting into the 19th century yet fighting against it was just off–too unbelievable.

If you’re a Jane Austen freak, then you’ll feel compelled to read it. You just will–you know it; I know it, and nothing I can say here will dissuade you. For those not quite at the obsessed or freakish status–skip it and start reading something else. The only message in this book that I could see was that letting your fears guide your decisions is no way to live and makes you look at the world with a stilted point of view. And you’ll never find happiness until you trust yourself and those around you enough to let go of those fears and just revel in the world as it really is. Maybe that’s a good message; I don’t know–maybe it’s crap. All I can say is that the book is a hearty waste of time.

I did like one thing about the book tremendously–this quote:

“Then, somehow, without preamble, I go into that semi-mediative state that I have experienced several times while embroidering, and I am completely at piece.”

Truly? Perhaps Ms. Rigler is a fellow-embroiderer? Even so, I still wouldn’t like this book.

This all reminds me that I need to commit to a reading goal for the year some time soon. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
Jane Austen meets chick lit. And time travel.

Confessions: Courtney, who used to live in today's Los Angeles, wakes up in the body of Jane, somewhere in England, about 200 years earlier. Being thrown into the world of her favorite author (guess who?), she has to learn the social norms of the time, and sort out the new life she has inherited, including suitors.

Awakenings: Meanwhile, in another time, Jane finds herself in Courtney's appartment, without servants, but with lots of strange devices. Fortunately, she's a quick learner, unlike [Catweazle].

A fun introduction to Victorian culture and it's not so obvious side effects. Now I feel compelled to watch the Pride and Prejudice reruns on TV... ( )
  hnau | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book was actually better than I thought it was going to be. I grabbed it onsale at BAM and decided to bring it in to work and listen to it. I found myself just sitting and listening, not even working quite often.

The plot is pretty structured, but it has some tiny twists you don't quite expect. The main character is a tad bit predictable, and I wanted to smack her a couple of times for not editing her behavior to fit regency England, but she is a strong women and a very good character in my opinion. The plot slowed down a tad but right at the middle, around the trip to Bath, but other than that, everything flowed well and worked together I am definitely going to read the next book in this duo. Can't wait actually. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
When a 21st century woman wakes up to find herself in Jane Austen's England, she discovers that her romanticized view she has of the world might have left out a few things. She did recognize a woman's place in her reading, but had not realized just how rigid the class and gender constrictions were. She had no idea of the smell or the conditions, such as chamber pots and having to haul water to take a bath. A well written, readable story that does leave quite a few plot holes. Not a bad read for a quiet afternoon when you don't want to work too hard. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Sep 10, 2014 |

Laurie Viera Riglerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlagh, CassidyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till this moment, I never knew myself.
--Jane Austen,
Pride and Prejudice
I dedicate this book to Austen addicts past, present, and future; and most of all, to Jane Austen, whose bit of ivory is an endless source of wisdom and joy for this humble admirer. If there is any justice in the world, Miss Austen, then there is a parallel reality in which that lovely young man from the seaside didn't die young, you lived to write at least six more novels, and the two of you grew happily old together, preferably without children.
Why is it so dark in here?
This is a story of characters changing bodies and lives with Courtney Stone in Jane Mansfield's body. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict is the parallel story of Jane Mansfield in Courtney Stone's body. It is probably best to read this book first.

In this Jane Austen–inspired comedy, love story, and exploration of identity and destiny, a modern LA girl wakes up as an Englishwoman in Austen’s time.

After nursing a broken engagement with Jane Austen novels and Absolut, Courtney Stone wakes up and finds herself not in her Los Angeles bedroom or even in her own body, but inside the bedchamber of a woman in Regency England. Who but an Austen addict like herself could concoct such a fantasy?

Not only is Courtney stuck in another woman’s life, she is forced to pretend she actually is that woman; and despite knowing nothing about her, she manages to fool even the most astute observer. But not even her love of Jane Austen has prepared Courtney for the chamber pots and filthy coaching inns of nineteenth-century England, let alone the realities of being a single woman who must fend off suffocating chaperones, condomless seducers, and marriages of convenience. Enter the enigmatic Mr. Edgeworth, who fills Courtney’s borrowed brain with confusing memories that are clearly not her own.

Try as she might to control her mind and find a way home, Courtney cannot deny that she is becoming this other woman—and being this other woman is not without its advantages: Especially in a looking-glass Austen world. Especially with a suitor who may not turn out to be a familiar species of philanderer after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:10 -0400)

A modern young woman wakes up one morning in the nineteenth-century England, in the bed (not to mention the slim and svelte body) of a girl called Jane Mansfield. At first she thinks this has to be some sort of weird dream, but slowly she becomes used to the absence of toothpaste and fat-free food, and finds herself actually enjoying Jane's life.… (more)

Laurie Viera Rigler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,059,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible