Confessions Of A Jane Austin Addict by…

Confessions Of A Jane Austin Addict (edition 2008)

by Laurie Viera Rigler

Member:coolmama
Title:Confessions Of A Jane Austin Addict
Authors:Laurie Viera Rigler
Info:Plume / Penguin Books (2008), Edition: 1ST, Paperback
Tags:fiction, finished

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

This book was actually better than I thought it was going to be. I grabbed it onsale at BAM and decided to bring it in to work and listen to it. I found myself just sitting and listening, not even working quite often.

The plot is pretty structured, but it has some tiny twists you don't quite expect. The main character is a tad bit predictable, and I wanted to smack her a couple of times for not editing her behavior to fit regency England, but she is a strong women and a very good character in my opinion. The plot slowed down a tad but right at the middle, around the trip to Bath, but other than that, everything flowed well and worked together I am definitely going to read the next book in this duo. Can't wait actually. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
When a 21st century woman wakes up to find herself in Jane Austen's England, she discovers that her romanticized view she has of the world might have left out a few things. She did recognize a woman's place in her reading, but had not realized just how rigid the class and gender constrictions were. She had no idea of the smell or the conditions, such as chamber pots and having to haul water to take a bath. A well written, readable story that does leave quite a few plot holes. Not a bad read for a quiet afternoon when you don't want to work too hard. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Sep 10, 2014 |
This had an interesting premise, but it pretty much just fizzled out. Not impressed. ( )
  2wonderY | May 16, 2014 |
Chick-lit time-travel fluff about a modern California girl who was prone to “self-medicate with Jane Austen” plunked down into the body of a daughter of a Regency England family. Ok if you’re an Austenite seeking a fix. ( )
  countrylife | Jan 27, 2014 |
I wet back and forth about giving this 3 or 4 stars. I settled on 3 because, though it was a fun read, I didn't finish the book feeling like my life had been changed by it.

It's a fun and easy read - so I definitely recommend it if you want something entertaining that you can veg out with and not have to think too hard about. I liked it enough I will check out the sequel "Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict". ( )
  VikingBunny | Dec 15, 2013 |

Laurie Viera Riglerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlagh, CassidyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till this moment, I never knew myself.
--Jane Austen,
Pride and Prejudice
I dedicate this book to Austen addicts past, present, and future; and most of all, to Jane Austen, whose bit of ivory is an endless source of wisdom and joy for this humble admirer. If there is any justice in the world, Miss Austen, then there is a parallel reality in which that lovely young man from the seaside didn't die young, you lived to write at least six more novels, and the two of you grew happily old together, preferably without children.
Why is it so dark in here?
This is a story of characters changing bodies and lives with Courtney Stone in Jane Mansfield's body. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict is the parallel story of Jane Mansfield in Courtney Stone's body. It is probably best to read this book first.

In this Jane Austen–inspired comedy, love story, and exploration of identity and destiny, a modern LA girl wakes up as an Englishwoman in Austen’s time.

After nursing a broken engagement with Jane Austen novels and Absolut, Courtney Stone wakes up and finds herself not in her Los Angeles bedroom or even in her own body, but inside the bedchamber of a woman in Regency England. Who but an Austen addict like herself could concoct such a fantasy?

Not only is Courtney stuck in another woman’s life, she is forced to pretend she actually is that woman; and despite knowing nothing about her, she manages to fool even the most astute observer. But not even her love of Jane Austen has prepared Courtney for the chamber pots and filthy coaching inns of nineteenth-century England, let alone the realities of being a single woman who must fend off suffocating chaperones, condomless seducers, and marriages of convenience. Enter the enigmatic Mr. Edgeworth, who fills Courtney’s borrowed brain with confusing memories that are clearly not her own.

Try as she might to control her mind and find a way home, Courtney cannot deny that she is becoming this other woman—and being this other woman is not without its advantages: Especially in a looking-glass Austen world. Especially with a suitor who may not turn out to be a familiar species of philanderer after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:51 -0400)

A modern young woman wakes up one morning in the nineteenth-century England, in the bed (not to mention the slim and svelte body) of a girl called Jane Mansfield. At first she thinks this has to be some sort of weird dream, but slowly she becomes used to the absence of toothpaste and fat-free food, and finds herself actually enjoying Jane's life.… (more)

Laurie Viera Rigler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible