The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

The London Eye Mystery (2007)

by Siobhan Dowd

Recently added byHCKLibrary, mirandafte, earthsinger, darnia, dorriebarr, private library, Neonwaterlily

English (76)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (78)
Only a few pages in and I realized that Ted was a person with Asperger's. This is a credit to the vivid and realistic descriptions of Ted's actions and thought patterns. In solving the London Eye Mystery readers also come to appreciate another unique view of the world. This book reminded me in many ways of Cynthia Lord's Rules. ( )
  ohdrat | Aug 15, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this tale of a family member disappeared. Dowd does a wonderful job of introducing the reader a uniquely talented teenager and his interactions with and/or perceptions of his family, friends, his own brain, and the world around him. This tale surprised me in that Ted discovered how Salim disappeared before I did. Truly, The London Eye Mystery is a gem of the mystery realm. ( )
  abcrane | Jun 8, 2014 |
Ted frequently tells people that his brain runs on a different operating system than most people’s. As a teenager with Asperger’s, Ted often struggles to understand and connect with other people. But the different operating system he works on makes him very good at solving puzzles, and he’s just come across a big one. His cousin, Salim, went up on the London Eye and never came down. With his older sister, Kat, Ted hones his theories, follows leads, and proves to his family and himself that if there’s anything he’s good at, it’s seeing the patterns and clues in this page-turning mystery. This book has it all – an engaging plot, a clever, nuanced narrator, and the perfect blend of sibling rivalry and teamwork. This book is perfect for teens looking to learn more about those on the spectrum or anyone looking for an answer to the riddle – what goes up, must come down. Even and especially cousins. ( )
  Thea-Ploetz | May 19, 2014 |
A great look inside the mind of someone "on the spectrum" and a great mystery in general. Really loved the relationship between Ted and his sister Kat, and the mystery kept me guessing almost until the end. ( )
  ArynO | May 19, 2014 |
The London Eye Mystery follows Ted, a boy diagnosed with a 'syndrome,' who sees things in patterns and uses that unique ability to help solve the mysterious disappearance of his cousin, Salim. His sister, all about action, knows how to put Ted's patterns and logical theories into actual steps that accomplish the detective work.

This book gives a really unique perspective and validates it, and will also have a really wide appeal, given it's gripping mystery.

Great for the younger end of the YA population and beyond! ( )
  SpiritFireDew | May 19, 2014 |
For Donal
My favorite thing to do in London is to fly the Eye.
Mum's lips pressed up tight. I figured out that Kat made her cross. But I didn't care. I know I'm a weirdo. My brain runs on a different operating system from other people's. I see things they don't and somethings they see things I don't. As far as I'm concerned, if Andy Warhol was like me, then one day I'd be a cultural icon too. Instead of soup cans and movie stars, I'd be famous for my weather charts and formal suits and that would be good.

A five-star mystery now in paperback!

Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim board the London Eye, but after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off—except Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air? Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleuthing partners, since the police are having no luck. Despite their prickly relationship, they overcome their differences to follow a trail of clues across London in a desperate bid to find their cousin. And ultimately it comes down to Ted, whose brain works in its own very unique way, to find the key to the mystery.

This is an unput-downable spine-tingling thriller—a race against time.

★ “Everything rings true here, the family relationships, the quirky connections of Ted’s mental circuitry, and, perhaps most surprising, the mystery.”—Booklist, Starred

★ “The best mysteries have at their centers gifted but very human sleuths—their abilities balanced by equally significant flaws or idiosyncrasies. This one is no exception.”—The Horn Book Magazine, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

When Ted and Kat's cousin Salim disappears from the London Eye ferris wheel, the two siblings must work together--Ted with his brain that is "wired differently" and impatient Kat--to try to solve the mystery of what happened to Salim.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible