The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

The London Eye Mystery (2007)

by Siobhan Dowd

869None10,345 (3.93)60

English (65)  German (1)  All languages (66)
Recommended for anyone interested in autism and Asperger's, this story is told from the perspective of a boy on that spectrum. It is a good little mystery, written for 8-12 yr olds, and a quick trip inside the mind of the main character, Ted. He describes his mental processes very well, in a manner that adds to rather than detracts from the story. The interactions between family members and other characters are also well done and realistic. I especially appreciate that the strengths as well as the difficulties that come with some forms of autism are described. The author also illustrates how those with and without autism can work together well, with the different perspectives and talents creating a strong base that makes up for the weaknesses in each character. I recommended this book to my daughter for my granddaughter. I think it can teach them how to integrate different abilities into their Girl Scout troops to everyone's advantage. Then when they are all adults they will be able to do the same in life and work environments. There are many fields where it is advantageous to have people with these perspectives on staff together. Five stars. ( )
  mkboylan | Apr 11, 2014 |
The main characters are Ted, his sister Kat, and their cousin Salim and the story is told by Ted, who is fully aware that his brain doesn't work quite like everyone else's. While reading this I was reminded a bit of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time although Ted is younger.

This was a very good mystery for children around 10 years old and up and would be especially good for discussions of differences among people and how different isn't a bad thing. Recommended.
  hailelib | Mar 23, 2014 |
What absolutely sold me on The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd was the voice of the main character, Ted, a twelve year old boy with probably Asperger’s Syndrome, although it is never defined as such. Ted just tells us that he has a different brain from other people. When Salim, a cousin comes to visit and disappears while riding the London Eye, it is up to Ted and his older sister, Kat to solve the mystery as they blame themselves for the disappearance. By developing theories that they step-by-step eliminate, along with Ted’s unusual way of looking at things, they are eventually able to put the pieces together. But even then, something is still not quite right, Salim is still missing and as the clock ticks down, Ted and Kat must once again put their heads together and figure this out.

This is a great YA mystery that I think would fully draw in kids between 10 and 12, but it is still an enjoyable read for any age. I think the author’s respect for both her target audience and the mystery genre itself shines through the pages, and she is able to deliver a fresh, dynamic story with a unique narrator. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Story told by an autistic boy as they search for their cousin who never got off of the London Eye. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This book is really compelling – it's hard to stop reading it. Every time I thought, 'just one more page,' it ended up as 'just one more chapter'. And then I stayed up far too late finishing it off. Which I think is always a sign of a good book.

So the plot's interesting. The mystery is intriguing, and I wanted to know what happened. But it's more than just a page-turner. For one thing, the narration is brilliant – Ted's high functioning autistic spectrum disorder makes him a very idiosyncratic narrator, and shows you the world from a new light, makes you re-evaluate commonplace assumptions and behaviours from a new perspective. It's honest and sometimes very funny. And for another thing, the characters feel genuine and authentic. Ted's family's not perfect, they're sometimes cruel, sometimes adorable. Their stress and emotion is tangible, but because we see it all from Ted's point of view, we're at one remove from it, and although we're affected by it, it doesn't take over the story. We keep our critical distance, our investigatory perspective.

Yes, the narrator and main character has ASD, and you learn loads about that through reading it, but this isn't a book about autism. Ted's involved in the story, he's not the subject of an investigation but the detective. It's not patronising or so overly sensitive that it won't say what it wants to.

If I had one criticism, I'd say it was probably that it was impossible to work it out – there weren't enough clues. But perhaps I just didn't see them. I'm not Ted, after all. ( )
  tim_halpin | Oct 2, 2013 |
For Donal
My favorite thing to do in London is to fly the Eye.
Mum's lips pressed up tight. I figured out that Kat made her cross. But I didn't care. I know I'm a weirdo. My brain runs on a different operating system from other people's. I see things they don't and somethings they see things I don't. As far as I'm concerned, if Andy Warhol was like me, then one day I'd be a cultural icon too. Instead of soup cans and movie stars, I'd be famous for my weather charts and formal suits and that would be good.

A five-star mystery now in paperback!

Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim board the London Eye, but after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off—except Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air? Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleuthing partners, since the police are having no luck. Despite their prickly relationship, they overcome their differences to follow a trail of clues across London in a desperate bid to find their cousin. And ultimately it comes down to Ted, whose brain works in its own very unique way, to find the key to the mystery.

This is an unput-downable spine-tingling thriller—a race against time.

★ “Everything rings true here, the family relationships, the quirky connections of Ted’s mental circuitry, and, perhaps most surprising, the mystery.”—Booklist, Starred

★ “The best mysteries have at their centers gifted but very human sleuths—their abilities balanced by equally significant flaws or idiosyncrasies. This one is no exception.”—The Horn Book Magazine, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

When Ted and Kat's cousin Salim disappears from the London Eye ferris wheel, the two siblings must work together--Ted with his brain that is "wired differently" and impatient Kat--to try to solve the mystery of what happened to Salim.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible