The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

The London Eye Mystery (2007)

by Siobhan Dowd

Recently added byASlibraries, kazancapi, 5th_Grade, 6th_Grade, private library, EdgarsBooks, AKBuechereiPoett, ASIJ
    Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with the relationship between an autistic adolescent and a sibling.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (Ciruelo)
    Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce (foggidawn)

English (81)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (83)
A thoughtful mystery for kids with plenty of complexity and plot twists to keep readers guessing. Although it's not explicitly stated, it seems that Ted's "syndrome" is Asperger's and it's his different thinking style and passion for weather terms that helps crack the mystery of Salim's disappearance. This put me very much in mind of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Ted and Kat allow their visiting cousin Salim to decide how they spend the day. Salim decides they should fly the London Eye, a giant Ferris Wheel that is a popular tourist attraction.

A stranger offers them a free ticket and Ted and Kat decide that since Salim is visiting, he should use it. When the London Eye finishes circling and Salim’s pod empties out, he is no where to be found. Evidently, what goes up doesn’t necessarily come down. And so the mystery begins.

The police are brought in but even they are mystified by Salim’s vanishing into thin air. Ted has some theories though. Maybe Salim spontaneously combusted? Or maybe he entered a time-warp? Or maybe there is a more logical explanation for what happened to Salim? Ted and Kat work together to follow the clues and try and solve Salim’s mysterious disappearance.

Check this one out if you like to work through mysteries.
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
When Ted and Kat's cousin Salim disappears from the London Eye ferris wheel, the two siblings must work together--Ted with his brain that is "wired differently" and impatient Kat--to try to solve the mystery of what happened to Salim.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
When Kat and Ted's cousin Salim comes to visit them, they take him to the London Eye. He goes up, but doesn't come down again. Ted sets his logical, careful mind to figuring out this mystery. The problem is, he has a difficult time socially, so his family doesn't always listen to him. He and his sister have to be quite sneaky to put their theories to the test.

Interesting premise, interesting narrator (he's somewhere on the autism spectrum and both likes how different he is and wishes he was more "normal") but it didn't grab me. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 26, 2015 |
This is a great mystery story set in London, told by a young boy, Ted, who suffers from Asperger's syndrome, although he never actually mentions the name of the syndrome. It is interesting to have the story of Ted's cousin's disappearance told from this perspective, and also to see how Ted and his family and the police try to find the cousin. We get to learn a lot about Ted's family members and how they interact with each other, and we also learn a lot about the area. I thought it was a very good read. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
For Donal
My favorite thing to do in London is to fly the Eye.
Mum's lips pressed up tight. I figured out that Kat made her cross. But I didn't care. I know I'm a weirdo. My brain runs on a different operating system from other people's. I see things they don't and somethings they see things I don't. As far as I'm concerned, if Andy Warhol was like me, then one day I'd be a cultural icon too. Instead of soup cans and movie stars, I'd be famous for my weather charts and formal suits and that would be good.

A five-star mystery now in paperback!

Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim board the London Eye, but after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off—except Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air? Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleuthing partners, since the police are having no luck. Despite their prickly relationship, they overcome their differences to follow a trail of clues across London in a desperate bid to find their cousin. And ultimately it comes down to Ted, whose brain works in its own very unique way, to find the key to the mystery.

This is an unput-downable spine-tingling thriller—a race against time.

★ “Everything rings true here, the family relationships, the quirky connections of Ted’s mental circuitry, and, perhaps most surprising, the mystery.”—Booklist, Starred

★ “The best mysteries have at their centers gifted but very human sleuths—their abilities balanced by equally significant flaws or idiosyncrasies. This one is no exception.”—The Horn Book Magazine, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,905,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible