The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

The London Eye Mystery (2007)

by Siobhan Dowd

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine (kaledrina)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with the relationship between an autistic adolescent and a sibling.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (Ciruelo)
    Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce (foggidawn)

English (78)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (80)
This is a great mystery story set in London, told by a young boy, Ted, who suffers from Asperger's syndrome, although he never actually mentions the name of the syndrome. It is interesting to have the story of Ted's cousin's disappearance told from this perspective, and also to see how Ted and his family and the police try to find the cousin. We get to learn a lot about Ted's family members and how they interact with each other, and we also learn a lot about the area. I thought it was a very good read. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
3.5 stars maybe. I didn't know it was about a kid with Asperger's when I picked it up.

I agree with other readers that his self-awareness and his abilities and challenges seemed inconsistent - but I believe, based on the several memoirs I've read, that the portrayal of the boy is close enough. Grandin and Robinson's memoirs reveal that they have inconsistent understandings, too, depending on circumstances and context. I also believe we did have enough clues to solve the mystery ourselves.

But all that nitpicking (imo) aside - if it gets more kids, especially boys, to read books about kids who are 'different' - and I think it might because it is an exciting story in and of itself - well, that's a good thing.

Despite the fact that I gave it four stars I don't recommend it to just anybody. If you're not interested, really, don't bother. I do wonder if anybody who has Asperger's has read it, or if the author has done research. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The main character, Ted, is a twelve-year-old boy with what appears to be Asperger's Syndrome. He and his sister solve the mystery when their cousin disappears while on the London Eye. This was an engaging, heartwarming tale with really likeable characters and credible family interactions. Working Asperger's Syndrome into the story made it more interesting. Recommended highly for young teens/tweens. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Dec 9, 2014 |
(6.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this tale of a family member disappeared. Dowd does a wonderful job of introducing the reader a uniquely talented teenager and his interactions with and/or perceptions of his family, friends, his own brain, and the world around him. This tale surprised me in that Ted discovered how Salim disappeared before I did. Truly, The London Eye Mystery is a gem of the mystery realm. ( )
  abcrane | Jun 8, 2014 |
For Donal
My favorite thing to do in London is to fly the Eye.
Mum's lips pressed up tight. I figured out that Kat made her cross. But I didn't care. I know I'm a weirdo. My brain runs on a different operating system from other people's. I see things they don't and somethings they see things I don't. As far as I'm concerned, if Andy Warhol was like me, then one day I'd be a cultural icon too. Instead of soup cans and movie stars, I'd be famous for my weather charts and formal suits and that would be good.

A five-star mystery now in paperback!

Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim board the London Eye, but after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off—except Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air? Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleuthing partners, since the police are having no luck. Despite their prickly relationship, they overcome their differences to follow a trail of clues across London in a desperate bid to find their cousin. And ultimately it comes down to Ted, whose brain works in its own very unique way, to find the key to the mystery.

This is an unput-downable spine-tingling thriller—a race against time.

★ “Everything rings true here, the family relationships, the quirky connections of Ted’s mental circuitry, and, perhaps most surprising, the mystery.”—Booklist, Starred

★ “The best mysteries have at their centers gifted but very human sleuths—their abilities balanced by equally significant flaws or idiosyncrasies. This one is no exception.”—The Horn Book Magazine, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

When Ted and Kat's cousin Salim disappears from the London Eye ferris wheel, the two siblings must work together--Ted with his brain that is "wired differently" and impatient Kat--to try to solve the mystery of what happened to Salim.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,302,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible