The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
    The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are totally fluffy, guilty-pleasure historical romances, although The Luxe is aimed at a slightly younger audience than Pink Carnation (teens vs. adults).
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa De la Cruz (Joles)
    Secrets & Sapphires by Leila Rasheed (foggidawn)
    The Season by Sarah MacLean (rebecca191)
    Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen (HollyMS)
    Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)

English (148)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (151)
Wonderful young adult historical fiction! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899.

I admit; I was a bit of a book snob about this book, something that I strive not to be, but sometimes, I just can’t help it! As usual, I really bought it more for the cover and after trying to read it THREE times and not being able to get into it, I was ready to give up. But so many of by book buddies on Twitter were raving about the book and pushed me to read it, so I gave it one more chance. I had to push myself past page 50, but once I got there something clicked. I am so glad I did because I was SO WRONG ABOUT THIS BOOK. It’s like Edith Wharton married to Gossip Girl and its LIKE CRACK. Or CHOCOLATE which is, you know, better for you.

It is what it is. Don’t go in expecting grand literature or historical accuracy. But if you want a quick, engrossing, page-turner of a book, if predictable because oh my gosh, I totally saw the ending coming, THIS is your girl. She’ll treat you to backstabbing socialites, illicit romantic trysts in the stable, on the kitchen table and anywhere else they can find a spot, loveless engagements, and sumptuous descriptions of dresses, fabrics, foods, and décor.

And really, have you seen a more gorgeous cover??? Give it a try next time you need a mindless bit of fluff to get you by. It’s totally worth it. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
I read this book while in high school and I was hooked within the first few pages ( )
  Anisadara36 | Jan 16, 2018 |
From Kirkus Reviews

A big, sumptuous tale of catty girls, dark secrets and windswept romance unfurls in this compulsively readable novel of late-19th-century New York City socialites. Godbersen weaves a tenuous web of deceit, backstabbing and pretense that follows four teens: Elizabeth Holland, a prim and proper lady of old-money society, is betrothed to one man, though furtively loves another; Henry Schoonmaker, a debauched playboy who must marry Elizabeth or be disinherited; Diana Holland, Elizabeth's younger sister who is in love with her fiancé; and Penelope Hayes, a member of the nouveau riche who will stop at nothing to win Henry's affections. As Elizabeth and Henry's wedding approaches, the spectacle unfolds in a wondrously grandiose scene, making for a fun, though not entirely unexpected announcement. A delicious new twist along the Gossip Girl vein, readers will clamor for this sharp, smart drama of friends, lovers, lies and betrayal.
  MBacon | Nov 19, 2017 |
I started reading this once and absolutely detested it, but I do want to give it another try. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
added by khuggard | editKirkus

The dialogue has its clunky moments, and the plot twist that drives the tale is telegraphed from the very start, but readers caught up in the fancy dress intrigue are unlikely to mind much:
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

It was the old New York way...the way of people who dreaded scandal more than disease, who placed decency above courage, and who considered that nothing was more ill-bred than "scenes," except the behaviour of those who gave rise to them. -Edith Wharton, "The Age of Innocence"
For Suzanne and Gordon
Prologue: On the morning of October 4, 1899, Elizabeth Adora Holland--the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Edward Holland and his widow, Louisa Gansevoort Holland--passed into the kingdom of heaven.
Chapter 1: The Richmond Hayes Family requests the pleasure of your company at a ball in honor of the architect Webster Youngham on the evening of Saturday the sixteenth of September at nine o'clock at their new residence No. 670 Fifth Avenue in the City of New York. Costumes are required.

Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899.

Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone—from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud—threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.

With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...

In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

In Manhattan in 1899, five teens of different social classes lead dangerously scandalous lives, despite the strict rules of society and the best-laid plans of parents and others.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,756,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible