The Frontier Stories, Volume 1 by Louis…
167None70,785 (3.87)6

This collection of short stories hooked me at the first page. L'Amour is the master of Western writing, with battles of good and evil, inperfect humans testing themselves in tight spots, learning to live and work with the land rather than subdue it, and women who are both feminine and capable. The short story is one of the more difficult literary formats for a writer because plot and character development and resolution must occur within a few pages. L'Amour proves he is the master again with this collection that keeps me turning pages way past my bedtime. The premise is pretty much the same in all the stories: the protaganist (usually a stranger, untested and underestimated youth or codgy elder) has challenges or troubles that he must face using his own intellect and abilities, usually against great odds. Often a sympathetic woman shows her own grit as his partner in a successful result and a future life. Good triumphs every time, and this is part of the satisfaction of the stories; we know that integrity and hard work will prevail. Sometimes there are echos of L'Amour novels, but I don't know which came first, the novel or the short story. ( )
  brickhorse | Mar 6, 2012 |
It was fun to read these again after having done so over the years in the many Bantam paperback versions. There are a few stories that I do not remember so either I had totally forgotten them, or they were new to me. At any rate, most are page turners that I could not put down. The opening story, "The Gift of Cochise", is a delightful story of a lone woman's stand against the threat of an Apache attack and how she gains the respect of the Apache chief, Cochise and then tricks him when he tries to marry her off to one of his warriors. The others tell stories of men & women traveling in wagon trains, fighting to keep their ranches & gold mines safe from nature & criminals and making a living in frontier towns. ( )
  lamour | Jun 4, 2009 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

Mr. L'Amour's characters are engaging: the frontier women are strong and the outlaws are sensitive. His historical settings of deserts, frontier towns and mining shacks are memorable. And his plots are fun, suspenseful and unforgettable.

I couldn't put it down. I'm officialy a L'Amour convert. ( )
  sherton | Apr 14, 2009 |
The Gift of Cochise
Tense, and white to the lips, Angie Lowe stood in the door of her cabin with a double-barreled shotgun in her hands.

With more than 120 titles still in print, Louis L'Amour is recognized the world over as one of the most prolific and popular American authors in history. Though he met with phenomenal success in every genre he tried, the form that put him on the map was the short story. Now this great writer—Wall Street Journal recently compared with Jack London and Robert Louis Stevenson—will receive his due as a great storyteller. This volume kicks off a series that will, when complete, anthologize all of L'Amour’ s short fiction, volume by handsome volume.

Here, in Volume One, is a treasure-trove of 35 frontier tales for his millions of fans and for those who have yet to discover L'Amour’s thrilling prose—and his vital role in capturing the spirit of the Old West for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:18 -0400)

Presents a collection of tales of danger, hardship, and adventure in the Old West.

10 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible