Back to Basics by Reader's Digest Editors

Back to Basics (edition 1981)

by Reader's Digest Editors

819616,941 (4.26)4
Member:lettermen
Title:Back to Basics
Authors:Reader's Digest Editors
Info:Readers Digest (1981), Hardcover, 456 pages
Tags:edit2, doityourself

Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills by Readers Digest

lots of traditional skills, pioneer style and later ( )
  Mikenielson | Oct 28, 2018 |
How to create just about anything. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
This book contains excellent descriptions of how various trades and crafts were performed in Colonial and frontier America. Chapters cover, buying land and building on it, getting energy from wood and other sources, growing crops and livestock and harvesting, homestead skills and trades, and finishes with a chapter on recreation. Being a spinster and a weaver, I looked at the sections on spinning, warping, and weaving and found the descriptions and accompanying drawings and photos of spinning wheels, warping boards, and looms was very thorough and accurate. An excellent reference for anyone wanting to learn about the past or take part in a historic recreation for a museum or club. ( )
1 vote drj | May 13, 2009 |
There is a broad spectrum of information in this publication and while much of the information is basic, it is still a must have book especially for beginners to self sufficiency. ( )
  hellhound | Jun 27, 2008 |
This book is amazing, and it's amazing to see how many everyday skills have been lost to the majority of Americans--- our ancestors would be probably horrified not at our laziness but at our ignorance. And me, they'd be horrified at me at my complete lack of ability, even with directions in front of me, I fear. ( )
  moiraji | Feb 25, 2008 |

This particular book is as it's title implies Back To Basics. It is an excellent book which will give you a historic view of how things were done in the past and give you a foundation to build your skills on. In the event of a disaster, it will give you guide lines on how to do tasks and build skills to help you come out on top of many situations that can result from a natural disaster, a financial disaster and hone your survival skills. I recommend it for this reason.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

At head of title: Reader's digest. Describes a variety of traditional skills and handicrafts, including projects with illustrations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,374,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible