Belles on Their Toes by Frank B. Gilbreth,…
683None13,952 (3.95)16
Recently added byterrelli, marissa-osborne, testVSFS, pussreboots, Dabacfa, DWalterLib, njcur, suzyrez, private library

The sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen is nearly as good as the first. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read [b:Cheaper by the Dozen|764903|Cheaper by the Dozen (Perennial Classics)|Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178154137s/764903.jpg|1925199] decades ago, and it stuck with me; the humor, and the deeply moving sadness at the end. I recently read to it to my nine-year-old son, who loved it (we watched the 1950 movie of the book immediately after; for his own sake, we are not watching the trashy and completely unrelated Steve Martin movie of the same name).

He wants to move on to the sequel, and so did I. Fortunately our library was able to obtain a copy. Just to be safe, I decided to read it through before deciding if it was appropriate to read to him.

It is. The humor isn't as rich as it was in Cheaper by the Dozen, but that's because this is the story of the family after Frank Gilbreth died, and he was apparently a font of humor. That said, I smiled, laughed, and chuckled many times throughout the book. It's as well-written as the first, and nearly as enjoyable. The ending isn't as moving as the ending of Cheaper by the Dozen, but it's both touching and thought-provoking. I liked this book, and I'm going to search out other books by the authors and about the Gilbreths as well.

There was one jarring point. Just as the family minstrel show suddenly brought home just how much time has passed since the events of Cheaper by the Dozen, in this case my jaw dropped when I read the following. The two oldest girls had taken up smoking, and were caught by their mother:
"I've been trying to think up some good arguments against smoking," Mother said, "but when you analyze them, they don't seem too convincing."

She started to enumerate the arguments, counting them off on her fingers.

...

"It's bad for your health. That's open to debate. Not so bad as overeating, or not getting enough sleep."

She ends up reluctantly giving them permission to smoke - quite a shock to a modern reader. Or at least it was to me! But then, I wasn't alive in the 1920s. Oh I knew, intellectually, that the attitude towards smoking was very different then, but after getting to know the Gilbreth family through their books it's strange to suddenly realize how long ago they lived. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
Lovely book. I had to get this after rereading Cheaper by the Dozen, and it did not disappoint. I was really impressed by Mother - she continued to work as a professional work study consultant and teacher, she became one of the faculty at Purdue University (before 1950 - a real feat at an engineering college, I think), she traveled to keep up her speaking engagements... but she kept her large family together and put them all through college - and didn't neglect them or refuse to give them attention. The authors' note in the beginning says a lot - although most of the family stories are about the hijinks the children get into and how they work together.... the book is really about Mother, and how much she did. I now want to do a little net searching on the Gilbreth children and the Gilbrethmotion study. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 29, 2013 |
This sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen takes the Family into the terrors of the teen years and mother as a single parent.
Overcoming castor oil just isn't in them, though. If you loved the first one, don't forget the sequel, whether in book or moive.
  nolak | Jun 12, 2009 |
Much funnier and engaging than I expected from a 1950 title. Follows the Gilbreath/Cheaper by the Dozen family after father's suddent death. The Gilbreaths come off as a fairly sophisticated family, where even women and girls were able to pursue their life goals without typical constraints of the era. I was pleased to see that it's still on my library's shelf and still checking out. ( )
  tinfoilraccoon | Sep 20, 2008 |

Gilbreth Jr., Frank B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carey, Ernestine Gilbrethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Mother
who deserves better treatment
Mother was going to Europe and leave us [sic] by ourselves.
Written by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr. and his sister Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

Life is very different now in the rambling Gilbreth house.When the youngest was two and the oldest eighteen, Dad died and Mother bravely took over his business. Now, to keep the family together, everyone has to pitch in and pinch pennies. The resourceful clan rises to every crisis with a marvelous sense of fun -- whether it's battling chicken pox, giving the boot to an unwelcome boyfriend, or even meeting the President. And the few distasteful things they can't overcome -- like castor oil -- they swallow with good humor and good grace. Belles on Their Toes is a warm, wonderful, and entertaining sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

The pleasure continues as the Gilbreths return, a little older, a little wiser, but no less delightful! Father has passed away, but the antics of this resourceful clan continue unabated.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible