HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Hawks In Flight by Clay Sutton
Loading...

Hawks In Flight (1988)

by Clay Sutton

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
200258,750 (3.84)1
  1. 00
    Hawks at a Distance: Identification of Migrant Raptors by Jerry Liguori (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Dunne got you 80% there. This book should take care of the remaining 20% of ID challenges. It includes some real fine-tuned, esoteric field marks among the various ages/sexes of hawks.
None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 1 mention

Showing 2 of 2
A terrific guide on the finer points of IDing hawks in the wild, and in the way they're most often seen - far above head, in flight. Sometimes it's still a challenge, but this book helped me a lot in getting to know what to look for when IDing these sometimes difficult birds. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 10, 2007 |
The book that really compiled years of hawkwatchers' sage advice and identification tips. A must read for a beginner and intermediate hawkwatcher. Once the "gestalt" is nailed down, you can move on to any of the several other more recent hawk guides. Unlike HAWKS IN FLIGHT these other books emphasize molt and plumage characteristics. That's a big help for the remaining 2% or so of other ID challenges. This book will handle the first 98%. Enjoy Pete Dunne's humor and wit. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jan 7, 2007 |
Showing 2 of 2
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
This book is dedicated to the Memory of
Maurice Brown
Hawk Mountain's first curator;
And to those who remember him.
First words
Foreword:
From March through May, and especially from August into the short days of December, thousands of birders and other observers clamber onto ridge tops or position themselves on lake shares and coastal concentration points to witness a ritual pageant - the migration of North America's raptors.
There is nothing magical about identifying distant, soaring birds of prey, although more than one casual passerby, observing a throng of how watchers in action, has suspected the whole business of having origins in the occult.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Hawks - probably the most popular birds among birders - are notoriously difficult to identify using hte traditional field-mark method. Hawks in Flight shows how to recognize hawks the way we often recognize our friends at a distance: by their genral body shape, the way they move, and hte places they are most likely to be seen.

PEte Dunne's clear, lively text brings to life each species' distinctive characteristics, and their visual essence is captured in David Sibley's elegant drawings and Clay Sutton's photographs.

Hawks in Flight covers the twenty-three (23) most common diurnal raptors of North America, including buteos, accipters, falcons, kites, eagles, vultures, and the osprey and harrier.

Pete Dunne author of Tales of a Low-Rent Birder is director of Natural history information of the New Jersey Audubon Society
Clay Sutton is an environmental consultant in Cape May, New Jersey
David Sibley is a noted bird artist
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0395510228, Paperback)

This guide shows how to recognize hawks the way we recognize friends at a distance: by body shape, movements, and locale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

(see all 3 descriptions)

A field guide to 23 species of North American birds of prey. Annotation. Subtle characteristics allow identification of 23 species of raptor.

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.84)
0.5
1
1.5
2
2.5
3 7
3.5 2
4 8
4.5 1
5 4

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,357,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible