Betsy-Tacy (1940)

by Maud Hart Lovelace

Other authors: Lois Lenski (Illustrator)

Series: Betsy-Tacy (1)

After Tacy Kelly moves into the house across the street from Betsy Ray, the five-year-olds become inseparable friends.

Recommended by Ethel, a member of the Betsy-Tacy Society, from my Children's Literature book group.

A delightfully old-timey (early 1900s) story of Betsy and Tacy, who become lifelong best friends at Betsy's fifth birthday party. The girls walk to and from school together, play in the piano box in Betsy's backyard, comfort each other (Tacy's baby sister Bee dies; Betsy acquires a new little sister, displacing her as the baby of the family), color Easter eggs together, and go calling. Set on Hill Street in Deep Valley (MN).

From "Easter Eggs":
But Tacy's lip was shaking. That made Betsy feel queer. So she said quickly, "Heaven's awful nice."
"Is it?" asked Tacy, looking toward her. Her eyes were big and full of trouble.
"Yes," said Betsy. "It's like that sunrise. In fact," she added, "that's it. We can't see it during the day, but early in the morning they let us have a peek." (61) ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 6, 2020 |
00002054
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Read aloud to my 9yo son, 7yo daughter, and 5yo daughter. Son liked it, 4.5 stars. 7yo didn't like it, and 5yo liked it.

This is a character-driven story and the girls are 5 and 6 at the time. That is one reason my 7yo didn't like it, sigh. Also, we were surprised and upset at one event in the book, and I think that is also why my 7yo didn't like it.

I thought it was well-written, sweet, and I'll read the next book with my kids. ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |

Maud Hart Lovelaceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lenski, LoisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It was difficult, later, to think of a time when Betsy and Tacy had not been friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,689,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible