Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Betsy-Tacy (1940)

by Maud Hart Lovelace

Other authors: Lois Lenski (Illustrator)

Series: Betsy-Tacy (1)

A simpler time and place. When you are 5 the difference between what you pretend and what is real is not clear. So it makes sense that Betsy's story are real to Betsy and Tacy.

I was surprised to find this book also had something as serious a the death of a baby in it.

I loved how Tacy helps Betsy deal with her feeling displaced by her new little sister. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 5, 2016 |
Oh gosh. It is just as adorable as so many of you have said. As I was reading it, and enjoying the charm of the Lois Lenski illustrations, I kept having the sense I had read it as a child. I think the thing is that I read some of the series when I was a child, but probably not this first one. In any case, ah, such an idyll. Recommended if you're feeling sad or mad and in need of a hug and a piece of cake. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I loved these books as a child. The story line is wonderful for little girls just starting to have best friends. I have re-read them several times and still enjoy them as an adult. I wish life was still this simple. ( )
  MillieC | Apr 23, 2016 |
Very nostalgic about Betsy-Tacy. These books had a huge impact on me as a kid--I read them all (I don't know if the whole series is even in print anymore) and still love them. They may be too old-fashioned for today's little girls--but not for me. ( )
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |

Maud Hart Lovelaceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lenski, LoisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It was difficult, later, to think of a time when Betsy and Tacy had not been friends.

Best Friends Forever

There are lots of children on Hill Street, but no little girls Betsy's age. So when a new family moves into the house across the street, Betsy hopes they will have a little girl she can play with. Sure enough, they do—a little girl named Tacy. And from the moment they meet at Betsy's fifth birthday party, Betsy and Tacy becoms such good friends that everyone starts to think of them as one person—Betsy-Tacy.

Betsy and Tacy have lots of fun together. They make a playhouse from a piano box, have a sand store, and dress up and go calling. And one day, they come home to a wonderful surprise—a new friend named Tib.

Ever since their first publication in the 1940's, the Betsy-Tacy stories have been loved by each generation of young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

After Tacy Kelly moves into the house across the street from Betsy Ray, the five-year-olds become inseparable friends.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible