Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Betsy-Tacy (1940)

by Maud Hart Lovelace

Series: Betsy-Tacy (1)

Oh gosh. It is just as adorable as so many of you have said. As I was reading it, and enjoying the charm of the Lois Lenski illustrations, I kept having the sense I had read it as a child. I think the thing is that I read some of the series when I was a child, but probably not this first one. In any case, ah, such an idyll. Recommended if you're feeling sad or mad and in need of a hug and a piece of cake. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Very nostalgic about Betsy-Tacy. These books had a huge impact on me as a kid--I read them all (I don't know if the whole series is even in print anymore) and still love them. They may be too old-fashioned for today's little girls--but not for me. ( )
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
After many, many, many tries, I finally convinced my kids that listening to a chapter book over a series of nights was actually fun. I had never read this series before, but it was recommended as a good, gentle read, and it is. There is one sad part, but nothing scary or alarming, just a nice, everyday tale of two five-year-olds navigating a friendship and their town. If your kid likes explosions and superheroes, this might be too gentle, but it was perfect for my sensitive kindergartner and her preschool brother. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Re-read of a beloved favorite! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Maud Hart Lovelaceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lenski, LoisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was difficult, later, to think of a time when Betsy and Tacy had not been friends.

Best Friends Forever

There are lots of children on Hill Street, but no little girls Betsy's age. So when a new family moves into the house across the street, Betsy hopes they will have a little girl she can play with. Sure enough, they do—a little girl named Tacy. And from the moment they meet at Betsy's fifth birthday party, Betsy and Tacy becoms such good friends that everyone starts to think of them as one person—Betsy-Tacy.

Betsy and Tacy have lots of fun together. They make a playhouse from a piano box, have a sand store, and dress up and go calling. And one day, they come home to a wonderful surprise—a new friend named Tib.

Ever since their first publication in the 1940's, the Betsy-Tacy stories have been loved by each generation of young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

After Tacy Kelly moves into the house across the street from Betsy Ray, the five-year-olds become inseparable friends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,879,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible