Swimming without a Net (Fred the Mermaid,…

Swimming without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by MaryJanice Davidson

Member:TMMD
Title:Swimming without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, Book 2)
Authors:MaryJanice Davidson
Info:Jove (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Swimming Without a Net by MaryJanice Davidson

A fun, funny, light-hearted read. I love Fred. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Hilariously silly. A little too much Jonas & Barb, but overall a great continuation to an adorable series. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
Passable. The first was better. Still, it's Davidson's quirky take on merpeople. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
When you have nothing else to read.... this is OK: Having read the 1st in this series, [[ASIN:0515142220 Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, Book 1)]], I went ahead and put this on hold at the library to read while waiting on better books. ( [[ASIN:0441015891 From Dead to Worse (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 8)]] )

While the mermaid mythos is an interesting one, this book cares less for the character's magical existance and more for her grouchiness. Now, I happen to like girls with a little sass, but one finds it hard to care much for Fred because of her nasty attitude. Possibly the best character in the books is her BFF Jonas who is a crack up - yet all the characters are very flat, 2-d.

This is a fast read as there is little meat to sink your teeth into and at the end of the book what could have been monumental was anti-climatic in an effort to prolong the series. This is def. a 'planned' series, menaing you get very little growth in each book to ensure the printing of the next. I've begun getting all of Ms. Davidson's books via the library as they are not worth the money for a one-time read. Her Betsy series started off well and now merely repeats itself to get you to pony up more moolah. I don't mind buying into a series, but there must be real character growth or I grow bored. I'm already bored with Fred.
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
I enjoyed this book, although the 3rd book was the best for me. This book just seemed to be the same thing... Fred going between Arthur and Thomas. The language was a little much too. ( )
  millett23 | Oct 15, 2010 |
Not everything is a mermaid that dives into the water.
- Russian Proverb
I declare that civil war is inevitable and is near at hand.
- Sam Houston, American general
I started early, took my dog,
And visited the sea;
The mermaids in the basement
Came out to look at me.
And frigates in the upper floor
Extended hempen hands,
Presuming me to be a mouse,
Aground, upon the sands.
- Emily Dickinson, Part II, Nature
To Jove, and all the other Deities,
Thou must exhibit solemn sacrifice;
And then the black sea for thee shall be clear.
- The Odysseys of Homer
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
- Baudelaire, Le Joueur genereux
This book is for everyone who was ever irritated by a Disney heroine. Detox with Fred, and rejoice! It is also for my dear friend Cathie Carr, who had a crummy year, was lied to (repeatedly) by loved ones, deceived by friends (who had good intentions, but still), did everything she could to save her marriage only to be rewarded with a boot in the face (repeatedly), and managed to pick up the pieces anyway. I'm thirty-eight now, and I never thought I'd meet someone with a bigger pair of plums than mine. Cathie plums make mine look like raisins. Or is that an overshare?
Fredrika Bimm trudged down Comm Ave. (known to tourists and other mysterious creatures as Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts and tried not to think about the Prince of the Dark Sea, or famed romance novelist Priscilla D'Jacqueline.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515143812, Mass Market Paperback)

As Fred the Mermaid tries to fit in with her own kind, she finds herself hooked on both Artur, the High Prince of the undersea realm, and Thomas, a hunky marine biologist. She's also caught between two factions of merfolk: those happy with swimming under the radar-and those who want to bring their existence to the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

While trying to fit in with her own kind, Fred, a mermaid who hates being out in open water, is torn between Artur, the High Prince of the merpeople, and Thomas, a gorgeous marine biologist who has the opportunity to explore where no "lander" has gone before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible