Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite…

Brighty of the Grand Canyon (1953)

by Marguerite Henry

Other authors: Wesley Dennis (Illustrator)

This is one of the few books by this author that I'd not read as a youth, but I enjoyed reading it as an adult. Brighty is a not-quite wild burro that lives partly in an offshoot of the Grand Canyon, and partly with those humans he likes. He deals with challenges including mountain lions, and those who would abuse his good nature.

Though somber in parts, and with some brief mentions of violence, it is an entertaining read for young and older animal lovers alike. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 20, 2017 |
When I was a girl I read every Henry horse story I could find. I sure do wish our tiny town library had owned this one, too. I don't think it's as good as King of Wind (the very best), Justin Morgan had a Horse, or probably even Black Gold - but everything by her is worth reading. And everything illustrated by Dennis is worth viewing. Sorry I can't be more objective or specific - all I can do is recommend you read whichever you can get yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Henry is well known for her children’s book focusing on horses and other animals. This was one of my favorites as a child.

Bright Angel was a wild burro named for the creek along which he made his home. In the early 1900s he befriended tourists and naturalists who visited what was to become our 17th National Park – The Grand Canyon. He had a sixth sense about people’s characters and would kick at or run from anyone he deemed unfriendly or a threat. But he was gentle with children and helped carry water and other supplies for those he trusted.

Henry uses the historical facts and embellishes the story to create a murder mystery with some valuable lessons in natural history. Reading it as an adult, I can definitely see why I loved her books as a child. There are some darker moments in this book, including animal cruelty, but the murder occurs off text and Henry keeps the violence to a bare minimum and uses humor and joy to temper any negative images.

Illustrations by Wesley Dennis add to the charm of the book.

NOTE: "Date read" is the approximate time I first read this ... I must have read it 3 or 4 times as a child, as I did with all of Henry's books. Most recent re-read was in March 2013.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I first learned about Brighty from Cleveland Amory in his Save the Burros of the Grand Canyon campaign. It was this introduction that has intrigued me to someday read the story about Brighty to learn about him and it was just plain luck my sister me this story.

For anyone who has read any of the Misty stories Marguerite Henry continues with her own style of writing. The reading is to-the-point, entertaining and a bit on the dry side as the book gets a bit lengthier. But for the dryness of the plot at times she makes a wonderful story that otherwise captures your imagination while staying with you.

The characters in here didn't really seem to have much of a personality while they were a bit on the flat side. Even Brighty after the first introduction seemed to be introduced rather strong before thinning out in the latter half of the book.

Definitely would interest any child that is interested in horses, ponies and possibly donkeys or even a introductory book to the Grand Canyon for a family trip. Some parts of the book although not gruesome by most standards of today may cause an issue for the smallest of audiences but otherwise it didn't botch the story. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
Hardcover, DJ, First edition, autographed by MH and WD
  EllenBeu | Aug 12, 2015 |

Marguerite Henryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dennis, WesleyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Harold C. Bryant Superintendent Grand Canyon National Park and Ernie Appling Uncle Jim's friend and a cowboy's cowboy
A shaggy young burro lay asleep in the gray dust of the canyon trail.

Long ago, a lone little burro roamed the high cliffs of the Grand Canyon and touched the hearts of all who knew him: a grizzled old miner, a big-game hunter, even President Teddy Roosevelt. Named Brighty by the prospector who befriended him, he remained a free spirit at heart. But when a ruthless claim-jumper murdered the prospector, loyal Brighty risked everything to bring the killer to justice.

Brighty's adventures have delighted generations of readers, and he has become the symbol of a joyous way of life. Some people say that you can even see his spirit roving the canyon on moonlit nights-forever wild, forever free.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

Relates the adventures of a little burro who blazed trails through the Grand Canyon and met many famous people in the process.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,864,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible