Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt! by Jean…

Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt! (edition 1991)

by Jean Fritz

Member:BrynDahlquis
Title:Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt!
Authors:Jean Fritz
Info:Putnam Juvenile (1991), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:nonfiction, history, biography

Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt! by Jean Fritz

Summary:
This book is a wonderful example of the life of Teddy Roosevelt. "Bully for you Teddy" was what he said when he had done something that he was proud of himself for. The chronological order of this book makes it easy to follow and for the reader not to get lost.

Personal Reaction:
I liked this book but it is really not up my ally. I do not like to read about history. But for those that do this is a great book that will walk them step my step through the life of this amazing man who seemed to come from nothing and rise up to become president.

Classroom extensions:
I would as my students to write me a short paragraph about what the would would be like if they were president.
I would also use this as a transition to learn about more famous presidents and to talk about out current president and how the world has changed from when Teddy Roosevelt was present to now.
  chesireelynn | Nov 14, 2013 |
This book does an excellent job of depicting Teddy Roosevelt's adventurous life. It gives the smallest of details (such as his speech patterns) that helps us to understand him better. His life is kind of an under-dog story seeing as how he started out as a small, sickly child and adventured his way to being president.
  AmyLu | Dec 9, 2012 |
A nice little book about Theodore Roosevelt. Well-written and easy to read. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Nov 29, 2012 |
If you dare to saddle up for this feisty read...you won't be disappointed! This book about one of America's greatest hero's will leave your head spinning with questions about "How'd he do that?"
Classroom Use: Make a map of all the places Teddy went and create a legend that describes each place. ( )
  Jdonldsn | Dec 7, 2010 |
Fritz, J. (1991). Bully for you, Teddy Roosevelt! New York, NY: G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

“Bully” was the word that Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt said whenever something was especially “splendid.” Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt provides a chronological account of Teddy Roosevelt’s life. The biography begins with his birth. Roosevelt was a sickly, scared child. He frequently had asthma attacks. He thought that “zeal” was a ferocious animal. Then the biography describes his first marriage to Alice Lee and his political career. Initially Roosevelt was interested in the district’s Republican headquarters. Soon he became an assemblyman, police commissioner, Secretary of Navy, governor of New York, and eventually president of the United States.

The overriding theme in this biography is unrelenting determination. It is Roosevelt’s perseverance that will interest today’s young children, especially those who have encountered many obstacles in their lives. Roosevelt did not let his physical ailments prevent him from enjoying life. In fact, he pushed himself to learn, to take risks, and to be physically active.

Fritz provides a bibliography and notes to support her documentation. She gracefully weaves significant and interesting quotes, which bring the biography to life. She tries to offer a multidimensional account of Roosevelt by describing his strengths and weaknesses.

Although the book was enjoyable to read, I felt that the biography somewhat glossed over certain key events. She only briefly mentions how some people criticized the way the United States obtained the Panama Canal. She omitted how the Canal damaged our relations with Colombia. Fritz also discussed how Roosevelt broke up corporations. This is only partially true. While he was called a “trust buster,” he did not dissolve all trusts.

Aside from these two points, the biography is engaging. It was listed as one of School Library Journal’s Best Books of 1989. It is appropriate for upper elementary students.
  ewang109 | Aug 13, 2010 |
What did Theodore Roosevelt want to do?
"Theodore," his father said, "you have to mind but you have not the body, and without the help of the body, the mind cannot go as far as it should. You must make your body. It is hard...but I know you will do it."

Today's preeminent biographer for young people brings to life our colorful 26th president. Conservationist, hunter, family man, and politician, Teddy Roosevelt commanded the respect and admiration of many who marveled at his energy, drive and achievements. An ALA Notable Book. A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:21 -0400)

Follows the life of the dynamic twenty-sixth president, discussing his conservation work, hunting expeditions, family life, and political career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible