Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Before I Die (2007)

by Jenny Downham

1,9351333,533 (3.82)1 / 60
Recently added byRena37, alykat94, private library, el.morse, atreic, mel4dov, IdaKeller22, Kassiah, peterpetcarp, xholocene

English (120)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  All (133)
This is a book about a girl with terminal cancer, working her way through a list of things she wants to do before she dies. It's a very honest book - Tessa is not always very likable, and the things she does are not always wise (casual sex, shop lifting etc) - and it's not a book with a comforting ending, it ends at the point of Tessa's death. But it is a comforting story of love being worthwhile even in the face of death, and yes, it did leave me weepy. ( )
  atreic | Jul 10, 2017 |
it was good in the beginning. then i got bored and skimmed through it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I have been reading this for the past 2 days and have not been able to put it down. I knew it was going to be sad and morbid, but man was it so much more. It is definitely in my top 5. What a great book. What a great love story. This will be a re-read soon:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Yes, it's as depressing as it sounds. A teenage girl is diagnosed with a terminal disease and you hear the heart wrenching side of her story. Everything from crazy shopping trips, to time spent with her little brother, and a new boy will tear your heart out of your chest. However, I felt like it put a new spin on the ever popular topic of terminal teens. ( )
  beckylynn | Jun 14, 2016 |
Totally not believable. Sixteen year old girl dying of cancer creates a bucket list of things to do before she dies. The first is have sex--believable. The second is take drugs so her neighbor gives her mushrooms--not believable. The third is say 'yes' to everything for a day--somewhat believable but wasted. Fourth is break the law-wouldn't be on my bucket list. That's where I stopped.

I read this because I just finished Unbecoming by the same author--Jenny Downham which was wonderful, touching. This got decent reviews but really was disappointing. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Apr 5, 2016 |

Jenny Downhamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parry, CharlotteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Louis and Archie, with love
I wish I had a boyfriend.

16-vuotias Tessa sairastaa parantumatonta leukemiaa. Mutta hän ei aio jäädä sänkyyn odottelemaan kuolemaa vaan tekee listan asioista, jotka haluaa vielä kokea. Hän tahtoo menettää neitsyytensä, rikkoa lakia, tulla kuuluisaksi ja saattaa eronneet vanhempansa takaisin yhteen.Kun kuvioihin ilmestyy naapurinpoika Adam, Tessa pääsee kokemaan asioita, joista ei olisi koskaan osannut haaveillakaan. Vaikka sairaus syö päivä päivältä Tessan voimia, viime kuukausinaan hän tuntee olevansa vahvemmin elossa kuin koskaan ennen.

Tessa has just months to live. Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It’s her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is Sex. Released from the constraints of ‘normal’ life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa’s feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, and her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallised in the precious weeks before Tessa’s time finally runs out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:56 -0400)

A terminally ill teenaged girl makes and carries out a list of things to do before she dies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible