Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Cheaper by the Dozen by Jr. Frank B.…

Cheaper by the Dozen (1948)

by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

Series: Gilbreth Family (1)

Life with Father / Life with Mother by Clarence Day (atimco)
    atimco: Funny family stories with a larger-than-life father, fun mother, and redheaded kids.
    Time Out for Happiness by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Also by Frank Gilbreth - a slightly more serious look at the Gilbreth family - particularly at Frank Sr. and Lillie before they started their family and at Lillie's successful struggles to support the family after Frank's death.
    Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth -- A Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen" by Jane Lancaster (infiniteletters)
    Eight Is Enough by Tom Braden (infiniteletters)

English (65)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (67)
This classic has lost nothing of its appeal. Unfortunately the new reprint by Power of the Pen Publishing is a shoddy job. There are many misspellings and the letters are very unsharp. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | May 16, 2019 |
What do twelve kids, a dog, and two motion study experts for parents add up to? Total chaos and pure fun. With a family that is run like clockwork, there’s never a dull moment in the Gilbreth household. Their lives were regimented, but fun. Efficiency is the key here, and every moment is a teaching moment. Whether this is your first time reading this classic or your twelfth, you’re sure to get a laugh as the children endure the assembly call, family council meetings, rides in Foolish Carriage, and chaperoned dances.

The Bottom Line: This classic book has delighted generations of readers and is still relevant today. Filled with lots of humorous anecdotes, this is a very quick read. Highly recommended reading for everyone! This is sure to bring a smile to your face and brighten your day.

For the complete review including Book Club Notes, please visit the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog. ( )
  aya.herron | Apr 14, 2019 |
In my first management course in graduate school I learned about scientific management and motion study. This wasn’t my first introduction to Frank Gilbreth, Sr., and Lillian Moller Gilbreth, though. I had already met them as the parents of a dozen children through the memoir written by two of their children and the movie based on the book. It’s been long enough since I’ve read the book that it was a fresh experience for me. The brother and sister who co-authored the book tell stories from their childhood episodically rather than chronologically. They write of parents and siblings with genuine affection. Many of the stories are laugh-out-loud funny. I had a happy childhood myself, and yet I found myself wishing I could have been among the Gilbreth dozen. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 7, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book immensely as a teen, and believe that I read it twice. I found it entertaining, and sometimes laugh out loud funny. I am glad to see that it's not been forgotten by LT readers, though I'm sure it must seem dated in an age when, in post-millennial US, large families headed by a male wage-owner and female home-maker are a thing of the past. What a fun experience it must have been to be a member of such a family -- and quite enjoyable to read about. ( )
1 vote danielx | Dec 29, 2018 |
Por Dúzia É Mais Barato é uma biografia deliciosamente cômica da família Gilbreth e de todas as loucuras que se passam todos os dias com uma família tão grande, composta por 12 crianças - Fred, Dan, Ana, Bob, Bill, Frank, Marta, Lil, Ernestine, Jack, Jane e Mary - e seus pais. Todas as 12 têm cabelos ruivos ou loiros e muitas sardas. O entrecho passa-se em Mont Clair, Nova Jersey, EUA. Não há maiores enredoe nem clímax, mas esta é uma das razões para gostar do livro. Pontos altos: Mr. Gilbreth impedindo Anne e Ernestine de usarem maquiagem, saltos altos ou saias menos compridas; os Gilbreths indo à Califórnia para visitarem a família de Mrs. Gilbreth. Um conselho: NÃO alugue a versão cinematográfica com Steve Martin; pode alugar sem maiores prejuízos, se a achar, a que tem Clifton Webb. ( )
  jgcorrea | Dec 29, 2018 |

Gilbreth, Frank B., Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carey, Ernestine Gilbrethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
McKay, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dad, who only reared twelve children and To Mother, who reared twelve only children.
Dad was a tall man, with a large head, jowls, and a Herbert Hoover collar.

No growing pains have ever been more hilarious than those suffered loudly by the riotous Gilbreth clan. First, there are a dozen red-haired, freckle-faced kids to contend with. Then there's Dad, a famous efficiency expert who believes a family can be run just like a factory. And there's Mother, his partner in everything except discipline. How they all survive such escapades as forgetting Frank, Jr., in a roadside restaurant or going on a first date with Dad in the backseat or having their tonsils removed en masse will keep you in stitches. You can be sure they're not only cheaper, they're funnier by the dozen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:34 -0400)

"The classic story of an oversized family and the parents who held them together"--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible