dismiss

Seattle's Beacon Hill (WA) (Images of America)

by Frederica Merrell

Series: Images of America (Washington)

821,650,475 (4)None
Ride the trolley up the ridge of Beacon Hill and discover one of South Seattle's most interesting districts. Unique among Seattle neighborhoods, Beacon Hill is a community where immigrants from all over the globe have settled side by side for over 100 years. This new book tells the story of the people and businesses of Beacon Hill in vintage photographs, the majority of which date before World War II. Readers will learn about the immigrants who worked on farms, opened shops, and labored in shipyards, the building of Jefferson Park, as well as the activism and political struggles that shaped the Beacon Hill neighborhood.… (more)

WA/COMM/BEAC/Washington, King, Seattle - History - Pictorial works/ Beacon Hill (Seattle, Wash.) -.History -- Pictorial works/Washington, King, Seattle - Biography - Pictorial works

# Beacon Hill (Seattle, Wash.) -.
  SGSLibrary | Aug 31, 2010 |
I don't move much, but when I do I get an impulse to explore--to drive and walk about the area and read up on the local history. So when I heard that folks were writing up a history of my neighborhood, I knew that this was a book I had to read. (Hmmm. Now that I think about it, maybe the urge isn't tied in to moving. I've been living here for ten years and I still want to know more.) So often I think of what is as the way it always has been, but of course, even a cursory glance at history will show you how wrong that thought is. So, of course, as I read the book and looked at the many pictures, I kept being surprised at what changes have occurred here and how young some of the familiar neighborhood institutions really are. All in all, "Seattle's Beacon Hill" is everything I would have hoped for, except it's too darn short. Definitely one to put on my shelf.
(Oh, and the church on 13th Avenue South is Byzantine Catholic, not Greek Orthodox. We made the same mistake before we visited it and found out the truth.)
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Sep 8, 2006 |

Belongs to Series

Images of America (Washington)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,175,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible