The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive…

The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film

by Jonathan W. Rinzler

This book was sent to me as a review book, which puts me in a rather unique place. I am a fan of the films, I have them all on DVD, and I remember being fascinated when I watched a documentary concerning the making, the special effects etc. However, this isn’t the sort of book that I would usually buy for myself, and I certainly don’t call myself an expert.

With all this said, my initial reaction upon seeing the book was simply “wow” - it’s a large hardback, with a grand total of 357 pages. That feeling of awe remained as I flicked through the pages.. there are some fantastic photos and drawings, many of which are early versions of characters etc, who never made it to the film. Others, however, are very well known.. seeing an early drawing of Darth Vader had me grinning like a child!

There’s also a wealth of information within the book, most of which I haven’t had a chance to read yet. For some fans, they may wish to sit and read from cover to cover, but for me, the joy of this book is dipping in and out, reading a little at a time. Having not read any other books about the film, I have no idea how much of this is fresh information, but the publisher say that included is information from many previously unseen interviews.

If you’re a casual fan, wishing to take a deeper look at the history of the film, then this book must be highly recommended, it’s certainly something that I will be going back to again and again. Even at full price, as this is a book full of information and photos, and one that you will want to keep, it’s value for money.

If a dedicated fan, you can find more information about the content at the publishers site. Various reviews, however, from those with a deeper knowledge than myself, seem to believe that this is a premium book on the subject.

The cover looks fantastic, the photos inside look fantastic, and the content certainly appears impressive. For anyone with an interest in the film, I would urge you to buy it. :0)
1 vote michelle_bcf | Aug 25, 2008 |
A truly comprehensive narrative of the conception and execution of the first Star Wars film. Those discouraged by the George Lucas of 2007 needn't worry, because the George Lucas of 1977 is even more of an inspiring figure than you ever knew, and this book brings that Lucas back to life. A must-have for fans of the original film. ( )
1 vote Dystopos | Jun 4, 2007 |

Jonathan W. Rinzlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, PeterForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"After the 1973 success of American Graffiti, filmmaker George Lucas made the fateful decision to pursue a longtime dream project: a space fantasy movie unlike any ever produced. Lucas envisioned a swashbuckling science fiction saga inspired by the Flash Gordon serials of the thirties, classic American westerns, the epic cinema of Japanese auteur Akira Kurosawa, and mythological heroes. Its original title: The Star Wars. The rest is history, and how it was made is a story as entertaining and exciting as the movie that has enthralled millions for thirty years - a story that has never been told as it was meant to be. Until now." "Using his unprecedented access to the Lucasfilm Archives and its trove of never-before-published "lost" interviews, photos, production notes, factoids, and anecdotes, Star Wars scholar J. W. Rinzler hurtles readers back in time for a one-of-a-kind behind-the-scenes look at the nearly decade-long quest of George Lucas and his key collaborators to make the "little" movie that became a phenomenon." "This book includes the interviews conducted before and during production and immediately after the release of Star Wars - in which George Lucas, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Sir Alec Guinness, Anthony Daniels, composer John Williams, effects masters Dennis Muren, Richard Edlund, and John Dykstra, Phil Tippett, Rick Baker, legendary production designer John Barry, and a host of others share their fascinating tales from the trenches and candid opinions of the film that would ultimately change their lives." "No matter how you view the spectrum of this thirty-year phenomenon, The Making of Star Wars stands as a crucial document - rich in fascination and revelation - of a genuine cinematic and cultural touchstone."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible