The Blair Years by Alastair Campbell

The Blair Years (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Alastair Campbell

Member:tristanf
Title:The Blair Years
Authors:Alastair Campbell
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2008), Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Fiction, Anuska's books, Your library, To read
Tags:non-fiction

The Blair Years: The Alastair Campbell Diaries by Alastair Campbell (2007)

Campbell is a talented writer. But this book is overly long for the casual reader. Yet, this book will be indispensable for the academic wanting to study British politics. It will also be interesting to compare with the complete editions (vol one and two) that are out now. ( )
  rory1000 | May 4, 2011 |
It took me too long to get through this book. I seemed to be reading it forever. Some of it was interesting, some of it less so. I found Campbell's constant name dropping and love of himself too much at times. Perhaps it's all just a front for a lack of confidence? It was interesting to get a bit of a grasp of what goes on in politics behind the scenes though and you begin to realise just how much you have to give up to be Prime Minister, or the PM's strategy manager at any rate. ( )
  Fluffyblue | Mar 18, 2010 |
This book took ten days to read: a long time for me. The reason is simple, my speed reading kept breaking down and I found that I was sucked into the fascinating story of the most significant positive history of my country during my lifetime.
Bevan and the NHS was important but just pre-dates me, Thatcher was crucial but mostly negative and Blair was a breath of fresh air.
Alastair Campbell was the bête noire of the right wing British press but, as so often, comes across as a caring man who gave nine years of his, and his family's, life for the good of the country.
This book gave me a great insight into recent British history and is a definite recommendation for anyone with an interest in British politics, or just wants a better idea of how Britain is run.
If it were possible, I would introduce a six star rating for this book! ( )
1 vote the.ken.petersen | Aug 12, 2009 |

A revelatory account of Tony Blair’s tumultuous leadership, The Blair Years gathers extracts from the diaries of the man who knew him best: Alastair Campbell—Blair’s spokesman from 1994 to 2003, his press secretary, strategist, and closest confidant. It is a compelling chronicle of contemporary British politics and the rise of New Labour, providing the first important record of a remarkable decade in Britain’s history.

Here are the defining events of the time, from the Labour Party’s new dawn to the war on terror; from the death of Princess Diana to negotiations for peace in Northern Ireland; from Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq to the Hutton Inquiry of 2003, the year Campbell resigned his position. Here also are Blair’s relationships with world leaders and heads of state, including presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. But above all, here is Tony Blair up close and personal, making the decisions that affected the lives of millions, under relentless and frequently hostile pressure.

Often described as the second most powerful figure in Britain, Alastair Campbell is no stranger to controversy. Feared and admired in equal measure, hated by some, he was pivotal to the founding of New Labour and the sensational election victory of 1997. Campbell spent more waking hours alongside the prime minister than anyone, and his diaries—at times brutally frank, often funny, always engrossing—take the reader right to the heart of government.
The Blair Years is a story of politics in the raw, of progress and setback, of reputations made and destroyed, under the relentless scrutiny of a 24-hour media. Unflinchingly told, it covers the crises and scandals, the rows and resignations, the ups and downs at No. 10 Downing Street. But amid the landmark events are insights and observations that make this a remarkably human portrayal of some of the most influential people in the world.

A completely riveting book about life at the very top, told by a man who saw it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:46 -0400)

Presents excerpts from the diary of the man who was Tony Blair's press secretary from 1994 to 2003, providing insight into the prime minister's relationship with leaders around the world and into his decision making process as he dealt with a series of international crises.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible