Dark Night of the Soul by Of the Cross John,…

Dark Night of the Soul (edition 2002)

by Of the Cross John, Saint

A 16th-century mystic, St. John of The Cross was also a Carmelite monk who helped reform the Order. In this book, he addresses pride, avarice, envy, and other human imperfections. He also provides an extended explanation of Divine love, and describes methods of conversion through prayer, submission, and purification.… (more)
Member:raak
Title:Dark Night of the Soul
Authors:Of the Cross John, Saint
Info:Rider & Co (2002), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover

The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
I fear I've understood only a small bit of this book, but I'm glad I worked my way through it. It's a view into a mind and religious worldview that is completely foreign to me but still worth trying to internalize. ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
This book is a Christian classic. It is somewhat like a commentary on a poem. The reading requires contemplation, and it really should not be rushed. The fact I was in a rush to complete it probably influenced my lower rating. I found the language a bit "stilted" and the sentences too long for most modern readers. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 28, 2017 |
This book offers incredible and honest insights into spiritual growth and development. It consists of an explanation of a poem by the same author, also called the Dark Night of the Soul, and although it ends abruptly, the wisdom the reader can draw from it seems unlimited.

Summary from Amazon:
The great Spanish mystic St. John of the Cross became a Carmelite monk in 1563 and helped St. Teresa of Avila to reform the Carmelite order — enduring persecution and imprisonment for his efforts. Both in his writing and in his life, he demonstrated eloquently his love for God. His written thoughts on man's relationship with God were literary endeavors that placed him on an intellectual and philosophical level with such great writers as St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.
In this work — a spiritual masterpiece and classic of Christian literature and mysticism — he addresses several subjects, among them pride, avarice, envy, and other human imperfections. His discussion of the "dark night of the spirit," which considers afflictions and pain suffered by the soul, is followed by an extended explanation of divine love and the soul's exultant union with God. ( )
  CORobb | Jan 14, 2017 |
Listening to this audiobook as part of the KC Public Library Winter 2013 Adult Reading Program 'While the City Sleeps' ( )
  mossjon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Songs of the Soul

On a dark night,
Inflamed by love-longing -
O exquisite risk! -
Undetected I slipped away.
My house, at last, grown still.
Secure in the darkness,
I climbed the secret ladder in disguise -
O exquisite risk! -
Concealed by the darkness.
My house, at last, grown still.

That sweet night: a secret.
Nobody saw me;
I did not see a thing.
No other light, no other guide
Than the one burning in my heart.

This light led the way
More clearly than the risen sun
To where he was waiting for me

- The one I knew so intimately -
In a place where no one could find us.

O night, that guided me!
O night, sweeter than sunrise!
O night, that joined lover with Beloved!
Lover transformed in Beloved!
Upon my blossoming breast,
Which I cultivated just for him,
He drifted into sleep,
And while I caressed him,
A cedar breeze touched the air.

Wind blew down from the tower,
Parting the locks of his hair.
With his gentle hand
He wounded my neck
And all my senses were suspended.

I lost myself. Forgot myself.
I lay my face against the Beloved's face.
Everything fell away and I left myself behind,
Abandoning my cares
Among the lilies, forgotten.
  Mary_Overton | May 24, 2012 |

St. John of the Crossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Backhouse, Halcyon C.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peers, E. AllisonEditor, Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This treatise deals with the manner in which a soul may prepare itself to attain to union with God.

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,771,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible