Day Of The Dragon-King (Magic Tree House 14,…

Day Of The Dragon-King (Magic Tree House 14, paper) (edition 1998)

by Mary Pope Osborne, Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Member:parkerthompson
Title:Day Of The Dragon-King (Magic Tree House 14, paper)
Authors:Mary Pope Osborne
Other authors:Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1998), Edition: First, Paperback, 68 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction

Day Of The Dragon-King by Mary Pope Osborne

English (12)  French (1)  All languages (13)
I find this to be a really engaging story. I love how the author incorporates real facts in the story, along with the fictional story-line. For example, I like how the author uses the character of the Dragon King. She states how he was as a ruler, letting children see how different China was in the past. I also like how she incorporated the building of the Great Wall. This is interesting for children to see when it first started to come around and why. I also enjoy the plot of the story. For instance, I find it great that the author chose to have the children go back in time to save a book. This makes the book a great influence on young children. This shows them the importance of literature and it teaches them to value it. Overall the main message of this story is to push readers to think about a different time period. It teaches readers to value literature, as well as have them learn a bit about history. ( )
  jsanfi1 | May 9, 2014 |
This time Jack and Annie received the mission to China to rescue the lost book the Dragon King tried to burn because he was afraid of scholars. By the help of certain Chinese scholar, Jack and Annie found the story right before it got burn. In their dark hour, they called upon the ancient legend and the ball of silk to helped them back home safely. ( )
  thuvan0301 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Summary: Jack and Annie travel back to Ancient China and come face to face with the "Dragon King" who ironically is afarid of books.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoy all the Magic Treehouse books, I have not found a Magic Treehouse book yet that I didn't enjoy and even sometimes learn from! I love the way they can be used to enrich almost any subject!

Classroom Extention:
Use craft sticks to make Bamboo Books
Litature Circle ( )
  parkerthompson | Dec 3, 2012 |
I picked this book up expecting to feel brain cells dying as I read it. I was very wrong; I can see why my students enjoy this series so much. It's very well written (albeit extremely simplistic) and interesting. It was an extremely quick read and is educational, to boot! ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
This story is about Jack and Annie who are brother and sister. They live in the now, but they go to their magic tree house in the woods. They go on many adventures. This time they are going back about 2,000 years to China. Their mission this time is to save a bamboo book from burning.The Dragon King is against books being read. So he has ordered the burning of the Imperial Library.
This story reminded me of learning about the Great Wall of China. It mentions it in this story as well.
This story could be used to introduce the wheel of progress in history. (What was there to write on before paper?)
It could also be used to teach students to a new higher order of thinking? (Why was the scholar dressed as a farmer? Why was he in hiding? Why was the Dragon King afraid to let everyone learn?)
  mortensen | Mar 18, 2012 |
For Peter and Andrew Boyce
Annie peeked into Jack's room. "Ready to go to China?" she asked.

This book describes another of Jack and Annie's adventures into the realm of history. There goal is to undo bad judgement and to create a happy ending with much activity throughout the story.

Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Who would burn books?

Jack and Annie find out when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to ancient China. There, a powerful emperor called the Dragon King has ordered that all books be burned. Will Jack and Annie be able to save at least one book? Or will they be captured by the emperor's soldiers?

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:39 -0400)

The magic treehouse takes Jack and Annie back two thousand years to ancient China where they must find the original copy of an old legend before the Imperial Library is burned down by the evil Dragon King.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,664,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible