Touchstone by Laurie R. King

Touchstone (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Laurie R. King

474None21,688 (3.83)42
Member:2thedogs
Title:Touchstone
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2007), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:***

Touchstone by Laurie R. King (2007)

Recently added byprivate library, erinalbion, villagegtown, Nodosaurus, Woollywench, Marissa_Doyle, Turrean
1920s (7) 2008 (9) American (5) British (3) Cornwall (5) ebook (6) England (21) fiction (61) historical (9) historical fiction (18) historical mystery (7) Kindle (6) King (4) Laurie R. King (4) library (4) mysteries (5) mystery (93) novel (5) paperback (3) politics (3) read (6) romance (4) signed (5) suspense (9) terrorism (5) thriller (8) to-read (10) unread (4) war (3) WWI (12)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
This is what happens when editors go on extended vacations.

Touchstone is a great psychological thriller. The reader is right inside of everybody's psyches. We know people's backstories, what makes them tick. King does a great job of evoking a particular time and place in history.

But the great premise makes the novel that resulted even more disappointing. The shifts in point of view are so rapid that they're distracting. Twice the author forgets how many daughters the family that is central to the plot has. She mentions "the third daughter" on a couple of occasions, forgetting that there's actually a fourth. It's unclear, at least to me, which of the two women's points of view is represented in the very first chapter, since it turns out that both women are involved in the incident described there.

There's also the fact that parts of this book felt recycled from some of King's earlier novels. The loving detail she lavishes on descriptions of the Hurleigh house sounds suspiciously like descriptions of the manor house in Justice Hall. Bennett Grey's posttraumatic "abilities" are astonishingly reminiscent of the detective abilities of Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes.

And it was so grim and dark! Spending all that time inside the heads of those poor tormented people makes me want to take a nice long break before I pick up the sequel to this one. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Six-word review:

Slow, suspenseful build to explosive finish. ( )
  Meredy | Oct 19, 2013 |
There are days on which I whap myself on the head. Today is one. Apparently I didn't post a review of this previously. WHAT was I thinking?!!

This is a terrific book and "the next in the story" will be out in September, so go get this one & read it! It's set in the Twenties but it's a post-2001 book and that's all I'm going to tell you about that. After you read it you will understand what I'm saying.

Laurie King writes a lot of her books set in the fascinating and difficult times between the world wars. This one focuses on two male protagonists, one a former-FBI American tough guy and one a British survivor who just barely made it out of the war. As you might expect with LRK, the tough guy is a real person with tender places and you don't want to mess with the fragile survivor.

We spend time in the (Amazing) country house of an aristocratic British family and in the wilder places in the UK. Things blow up. literally. By the end of the book you don't want to stop hanging out with these characters. (Next book, The Bone of Paris, thank goodness). And the plot has faked you out at least twice. I love this book. ( )
  Meredith47 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Reading a Laurie King mystery is relaxing. I do not have to worry about unbelievable plotlines, or the main character making incredibly stupid decisions because it's the only way to move the plot in the right direction. I know that the characters, and the era and setting, will be fully realized. And I know that there will be more substance to the book than simply solving who-dun-it.

The only problem is that I stay up until 3am finishing it. And then thinking about the issues raised in the book for the next several days. ( )
  CateK | Jun 2, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
To Michael and Josefa, with thanks for giving far, far beyond duty's call.

Hailed for her rich and powerful works of psychological suspense as well as her New York Times bestselling mysteries, Laurie R. King now takes us to a remote cottage in Cornwall where a gripping tale of intrigue, terrorism, and explosive passions begins with a visit to a recluse upon whom the fate of an entire nation may rest—a man code-named . . .

It’s eight years after the Great War shattered Bennett Grey’s life, leaving him with an excruciating sensitivity to the potential of human violence, and making social contact all but impossible. Once studied by British intelligence for his unique abilities, Grey has withdrawn from a rapidly changing world—until an American Bureau of Investigation agent comes to investigate for himself Grey’s potential as a weapon in a vicious new kind of warfare. Agent Harris Stuyvesant desperately needs Grey’s help entering a world where the rich and the radical exist side by side—a heady mix of the powerful and the celebrated, among whom lurks an enemy ready to strike a deadly blow at democracy on both sides of the Atlantic.

Here, among a titled family whose servants dress in whimsical costumes and whose daughter conducts an open affair with a man who wants to bring down the government, Stuyvesant finds himself dangerously seduced by one woman and—even more dangerously—falling in love with another. And as he sifts through secrets divulged and kept, he uncovers the target of a horrifying conspiracy, and wonders if he can trust his touchstone, Grey, to reveal the most dangerous player of all ….

Building to an astounding climax on an ancient English estate, Touchstone is both a harrowing thriller by a master of the genre and a thought-provoking exploration of the forces that drive history—and human destinies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:42 -0400)

Left with an extraordinary sensitivity that allows him to determine the lies and deceptions of everyday life with a mere touch after the Great War, Bennett Grey lives a reclusive life until he is called in by the British government to find a terrorist.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible