The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by…

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1986)

by Stephen R. Covey

Recently added byrachels.cpa, private library, books6cats, ACTS_Library
Legacy LibrariesPresidential Study (1997)

English (94)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Arabic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
This version of The 7 Habits was the first of many, many iterations that Stephen Covey published under the 7 Habits umbrella. No doubt due to the success of the franchise. As a self-help reader I can vouch for the worth of the original though I have not read any of the others.

It's too easy to scoff at the habits as obvious, just as it's too easy to scoff at self-help in general. Actions speak louder than words, and putting habits like Covey's into practice is hard work. If you're curious about self-help, or maybe a little skeptical about its usefulness, then I recommend starting here. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Sep 15, 2015 |
There's some solid advice here. Covey's Mormonism has strongly influenced him. He talks about "natural laws" as set up by God. While this makes me skeptical, I still think there's some useful tools in the 7 habits. As with any self-help book I try to find the advice that resonates most strongly with me. There were several habits that I thought I could integrate into my life, especially about always seeking first to understand, then to be understood. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jul 25, 2015 |
Audio book (only) available through Christchurch City Libraries
If you don't have membership of Christchurch City Libraries use the CORE Library card H228848301 PIN 1234

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is recognised as one of the most influential audiobooks ever recorded. In this seminal work, Stephen R. Covey presents a holistic, integrated, principle-centred approach for solving personal and professional problems. With penetrating insights and pointed anecdotes, Covey reveals a step-by-step pathway for living with fairness, integrity, honesty and human dignity, principles that give us the security to adapt to change, and the wisdom and power to take advantage of the opportunities that change creates.
  COREEducation | Jul 19, 2015 |
Just got back from a great, short trip to Ankara where I've secured housing for my family. But my departure coincided with the end of a road trip and family reunion in Chicago which means I had time to knock out a couple more books before New Years.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey. I had never read Covey's book, but I assume that almost everyone I know who has held some type of leadership or management position has read it as it's probably the all-time bestselling management/leadership book and easily one of the most influential.

The Seven Habits:
1. Be Proactive - means not blaming others for your circumstances but owning up to them yourself.
2. Begin with the End in Mind - Character matters and underlies everything else. You should have a mission statement that sets out your goal. Each day you "flex your proactive muscles" to make it happen.
3. Put First Things First - Tasks fall into one of four categories and you should focus on the ones that are important but not necessarily urgent. That will help guide your organization and keep things from becoming important and urgent, ie: a crisis.
4. Think Win-Win - Negotiate hard. It's a little like Adam Smith or David Ricardo's idea that two parties don't enter a transaction unless both benefit. So, maximize your benefit and make sure the other party feels it is winning too.
5. Seek First to Understand, Then be Understood - This helps generate Win-Win, and is a basic sales technique. Don't expect to get what you want without respecting the other party's wants.
6. Synergize - Be an effective leader that fosters teamwork and brings out the best in everyone. It's more than the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, but that's the basic idea.
7. Sharpen the Saw - Take time to rest and do activities that improve your physical health and spiritual well-being.

I don't know how many hundreds of books are out there that have built on Covey's concepts. There are a lot of basic, timeless truths that he puts simply and I guess that's why this book is so hugely popular. I'd like to put him in a room with Frederick Taylor and see how it goes.

Reading this book tempts me to size up leaders of organizations by how well they follow the seven habits. I like thinking about the first three the best, particularly in evaluating my time management. Is what I'm doing right now important, and how urgent is it?

I give it 3.5 stars. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
This book has something for everyones self development. Do you want to remake yourself into a better person, improve your relationship with a spouse, develop better communication skills with you kids, refine your business expertise, enhance your leadership capabilities, prioritize your life, I could go on and on. To quote the book, you learn, that the gate to change can only be opened from the inside. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is very well written, There are stories, examples, forms, diagrams and even interactive areas within the book to help you understand concepts. The book breaks down how to be effective in whatever goal you choose. You learn how to prioritize, expand listening skills (great to help you understand your children and spouse), why you must admit mistakes, and how what you say impacts others. By the end of the book you will understand how to develop good attitudes and a winning behavior. I highly recommend his book. ( )
  LarryGerovac | Mar 9, 2015 |
Borrowing slightly from the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People begins with the astute observation that people perceive the world differently, and because we view the world with our own unique "lens," it is difficult to separate the observation from the observer.

Covey says that we all have our own paradigm, which is our own map of how we perceive the world and how we think the world should be in our ideal view. Covey writes, "The way we see things is the source of the way we think and the way we act."
There is no real excellence in all this world which can be separated from right living

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
In more than 25 years of working with people in business, university, and marriage and family settings, I have come in contact with many individuals who have achieved an incredible degree of outward success, but have found themselves struggling with an inner hunger, a deep need for personal congruency and effectiveness and for healthy, growing relationships with other people.
ISBN 0738504106 - WorldCat and Amazon both return for Rochester Neighborhoods by Shirley Cox Husted and Ruth Rosenberg-Naparsteck
Do not combine with any of the abridged audiobooks, ISBNs are: 188321937X, 0671315285, 1883219973, 0671687964, 0802514553, 0743538528, 0671869469, 1616574925, 1455892823, 0671853236, 0743501071, 0743501535, 1933499397
Unabridged audiobook ISBNs are: 1491586761 [1 CD, MP3, 14 hrs.], 1929494750 [3 CDs, 14 hrs.], 188321923X [8 cassettes and 1 workbook], 1480568317 [14 CDs, 14 hrs.], 1455892807 [MP3, 13 hrs.], 1455892785 [13 CDs, 13 hrs.], 1469200716 [7 CDs, 8 hrs., 15 min.], 1455893560 [7 CDs, 8 hrs.]
Unknown whether abridged or unabridged: 1883219027 [4 CDs, 4 hr., 30 mins. OR 4 cassettes, 6 hrs.], 1929494157 [6 CDs, 5 hrs.], 1599128284, 1883219337 [6 cassettes], 1933976004, 1442354895, 8360313563 [MP3, 12 hrs., 30 min.], 9992006684 [cassette]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743269519, Paperback)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change was a groundbreaker when it was first published in 1990, and it continues to be a business bestseller with more than 10 million copies sold. Stephen Covey, an internationally respected leadership authority, realizes that true success encompasses a balance of personal and professional effectiveness, so this book is a manual for performing better in both arenas. His anecdotes are as frequently from family situations as from business challenges. Before you can adopt the seven habits, you'll need to accomplish what Covey calls a "paradigm shift"--a change in perception and interpretation of how the world works. Covey takes you through this change, which affects how you perceive and act regarding productivity, time management, positive thinking, developing your "proactive muscles" (acting with initiative rather than reacting), and much more. This isn't a quick-tips-start-tomorrow kind of book. The concepts are sometimes intricate, and you'll want to study this book, not skim it. When you finish, you'll probably have Post-it notes or hand-written annotations in every chapter, and you'll feel like you've taken a powerful seminar by Covey. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

A leading management consultant outlines seven organizational rules for improving effectiveness and increasing productivity at work and at home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible