Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by…

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1989)

by Stephen R. Covey

Series: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

English (111)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (121)
At the very beginning I have to admit, this is not the kind of book I usually read. While I don’t think I’m perfect (far from it!), I never had any faith in “become successful in 100 days”-type of book. However, a good friend of mine asked me to read it and here we are.
I think it is a quite solid book with great suggestions because it doesn’t sell itself as a quick fix. Moreover, the author himself admits that he not always manages to adhere to the habits he describes as vital, for it is a life-long journey to the horizon of perfection.
The habits are created in order to construct your life and approach to others inside out, by building your character (not an image), so that later this character can affect the world around him/her. It is not a story how to make people interested in you, it is how to make you interesting to people, not only in your working environment, but in social and personal life as well.
One minus of the book (which is I guess is common in such guides) is “sales talk” i.e. here is a guy who followed the rules and done great, and here is a gal who haven’t and didn’t. just like all the training cannot make you an Olympic champion (while doing you a lot of good) there are ‘natural’ limits and not seeing them doesn’t make them disappear.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
I heard a lot of good things about this book so decided to give it a try. I was very pleased with the content, particularly Habit 1 - Be Proactive.
You'll find much more eloquent reviews than mine elsewhere on the web, I'll just say that the key to this and other books of it's type is to follow through. "To know and not do is not to know" ( )
  MickBrooke | Jan 3, 2019 |
Not 7 habits. More like 7 strategies.

Honestly, before I started this book, I thought that 7 effective habits were
1. read more
2. Speak more
3. exercise
4. eat healthily
5. Planning
6. Meditate
7. Give more

but it turned out the book is not like this and is different. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
(original review, 2004)

"To learn and not to do is really not to learn. To know and not to do is really not to know."

"Love is a verb. Love – the feeling – is the fruit of love the verb or our loving actions. So love her. Sacrifice. Listen to her. Empathize. Appreciate. Affirm her."

"At some time in your life, you probably had someone believe in you when you didn't believe in yourself."

In “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey

The above-mentioned quotes are some of the pearls of wisdom we can find in the book.

There's a story, probably apocryphal, about an Amazonian tribe's reaction to a group of Westerners (possibly miners or farmers or similar) who had created a settlement close to their village some time in the 1960s. The settlers built a makeshift runway, and the tribe watched from afar in amazement as, shortly after the runway was complete, a plane arrived carrying supplies. The tribe immediately set about building a runway beside their village, believing that once it was complete, a plane would arrive on it with supplies. They had a long, fruitless wait. Obviously, there's a lot that doesn't ring true about this story, however it illustrates well the fruitlessness of adopting other people's actions in the hope of replicating their results, without really sharing or understanding their motivations. Presumably most of the rituals described above have one thing in common; they're the author's own.That's why they worked, they were what the author genuinely felt worked for them, they weren't adopted in an attempt to recreate the conditions of someone else's success. I've a creative friend who drinks whisky in the mornings when he's writing, because that's what Hunter S. Thompson did. He is not and never will be anything like Hunter S. Thompson. The overarching advice from this book should be: find your OWN rituals and routines. Forget about crappy books like these.

A friend of mine used to say he could write at any time of the day or night, but there came a point - after about three hours - when he didn't achieve much more by working longer. The best time, he said, is early morning, 5 or 6am. He could look again at something that seemed hard to write the previous evening, and suddenly everything just fell into place... As for myself, I can write any time I'm awake, but nobody would want to read it. Seriously now, I have realised that my most creative and productive hours are 3 -6 am. This is when my genius will fizz and pop, worlds are created, and my art manifests itself, seemingly without effort. At these magical hours, I will become a conduit for creative forces beyond my ken. At this special time, unfortunately, I always seem to be unconscious and dribbling, stretched out amongst bottles, filth and pools of damp...

But at the end, don't forget that: "quod natura non dat, Salmantica non praestat". Who could ever forget that...?LOL ( )
  antao | Oct 5, 2018 |
So, had to read this for work (as one might guess, judging by my other reading material). It's interesting. I liked the anecdotes, although I am inclined to doubt that they all really happened. They do too good a job at getting the appropriate points across! ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | Jul 13, 2018 |
Borrowing slightly from the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People begins with the astute observation that people perceive the world differently, and because we view the world with our own unique "lens," it is difficult to separate the observation from the observer.

Covey says that we all have our own paradigm, which is our own map of how we perceive the world and how we think the world should be in our ideal view. Covey writes, "The way we see things is the source of the way we think and the way we act."

Stephen R. Coveyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duchateau, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no real excellence in all this world which can be separated from right living

DAVID STAR JORDAN
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
ARISTOTLE
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
HENRY DAVID THOREAU
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
OLIVER WENDALL HOLMES
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
GOETHE
In more than 25 years of working with people in business, university, and marriage and family settings, I have come in contact with many individuals who have achieved an incredible degree of outward success, but have found themselves struggling with an inner hunger, a deep need for personal congruency and effectiveness and for healthy, growing relationships with other people.
ISBN 0738504106 - WorldCat and Amazon both return for Rochester Neighborhoods by Shirley Cox Husted and Ruth Rosenberg-Naparsteck
Do not combine with any of the abridged audiobooks, ISBNs are: 188321937X, 0671315285, 1883219973, 0671687964, 0802514553, 0743538528, 0671869469, 1616574925, 1455892823, 0671853236, 0743501071, 0743501535, 1933499397
Unabridged audiobook ISBNs are: 1491586761 [1 CD, MP3, 14 hrs.], 1929494750 [3 CDs, 14 hrs.], 188321923X [8 cassettes and 1 workbook], 1480568317 [14 CDs, 14 hrs.], 1455892807 [MP3, 13 hrs.], 1455892785 [13 CDs, 13 hrs.], 1469200716 [7 CDs, 8 hrs., 15 min.], 1455893560 [7 CDs, 8 hrs.]
Unknown whether abridged or unabridged: 1883219027 [4 CDs, 4 hr., 30 mins. OR 4 cassettes, 6 hrs.], 1929494157 [6 CDs, 5 hrs.], 1599128284, 1883219337 [6 cassettes], 1933976004, 1442354895, 8360313563 [MP3, 12 hrs., 30 min.], 9992006684 [cassette]
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged
Audiobook - unknown if abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743269519, Paperback)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change was a groundbreaker when it was first published in 1990, and it continues to be a business bestseller with more than 10 million copies sold. Stephen Covey, an internationally respected leadership authority, realizes that true success encompasses a balance of personal and professional effectiveness, so this book is a manual for performing better in both arenas. His anecdotes are as frequently from family situations as from business challenges. Before you can adopt the seven habits, you'll need to accomplish what Covey calls a "paradigm shift"--a change in perception and interpretation of how the world works. Covey takes you through this change, which affects how you perceive and act regarding productivity, time management, positive thinking, developing your "proactive muscles" (acting with initiative rather than reacting), and much more. This isn't a quick-tips-start-tomorrow kind of book. The concepts are sometimes intricate, and you'll want to study this book, not skim it. When you finish, you'll probably have Post-it notes or hand-written annotations in every chapter, and you'll feel like you've taken a powerful seminar by Covey. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

A leading management consultant outlines seven organizational rules for improving effectiveness and increasing productivity at work and at home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,535,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible