The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People…

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (1986)

by Stephen R. Covey

9,778None294 (3.85)36

English (76)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
A great book. It invites us to think deeply about our goal in life and cultivate habits that will aid us in achieving it across all our life roles. ( )
  Adewoye | Feb 20, 2014 |
I deduct a half-star because the word paradigm makes me itch, but I would have to grant that it is in some sense the very type of a life-altering book. You could definitely trim some fat and read it in "princess bride, the good parts" mode though. ( )
  sprite | Jan 8, 2014 |
I haven't finished this book yet. I want to know how he got to his position of IBM CEO, not about his mid life crisis. ( )
  SpaceyAcey | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is not a quick fix book. I will take time and focus for any of the advice given in the book to make big changes. That said I've just finished the book and noticed some positive changes in myself.

This book does have "buzzwords" that other reviews have complained about but that is because the book made them that way. People just repeat the words instead of doing the hard work.

This book does have one flaw the writer talks about not projecting your paradigms on others Covey forgot that not all his readers will be Christian. ( )
  Briarthorn | Sep 22, 2013 |
It's a classic. So many books have been based off of the core values set in this book so if you've read any productivity, self help, leadership, or anything similar you're likely to know some of the content in this book.

I like to occasionally go "back to the basics" or hit the classics as a reminder of some of the things I can/should be doing to be a better business person or a family man and I tend to find this book helps me reset my habits. That's not a bad thing at all. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
Borrowing slightly from the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People begins with the astute observation that people perceive the world differently, and because we view the world with our own unique "lens," it is difficult to separate the observation from the observer.

Covey says that we all have our own paradigm, which is our own map of how we perceive the world and how we think the world should be in our ideal view. Covey writes, "The way we see things is the source of the way we think and the way we act."

There is no real excellence in all this world which can be separated from right living

DAVID STAR JORDAN
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
ARISTOTLE
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
HENRY DAVID THOREAU
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
OLIVER WENDALL HOLMES
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
GOETHE
In more than 25 years of working with people in business, university, and marriage and family settings, I have come in contact with many individuals who have achieved an incredible degree of outward success, but have found themselves struggling with an inner hunger, a deep need for personal congruency and effectiveness and for healthy, growing relationships with other people.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743269519, Paperback)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change was a groundbreaker when it was first published in 1990, and it continues to be a business bestseller with more than 10 million copies sold. Stephen Covey, an internationally respected leadership authority, realizes that true success encompasses a balance of personal and professional effectiveness, so this book is a manual for performing better in both arenas. His anecdotes are as frequently from family situations as from business challenges. Before you can adopt the seven habits, you'll need to accomplish what Covey calls a "paradigm shift"--a change in perception and interpretation of how the world works. Covey takes you through this change, which affects how you perceive and act regarding productivity, time management, positive thinking, developing your "proactive muscles" (acting with initiative rather than reacting), and much more. This isn't a quick-tips-start-tomorrow kind of book. The concepts are sometimes intricate, and you'll want to study this book, not skim it. When you finish, you'll probably have Post-it notes or hand-written annotations in every chapter, and you'll feel like you've taken a powerful seminar by Covey. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:53 -0400)

A leading management consultant outlines seven organizational rules for improving effectiveness and increasing productivity at work and at home.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible