Marune: Alastor 933 by Jack Vance

Marune: Alastor 933 (1975)

by Jack Vance

Series: Alastor (2)

319454,067 (3.54)6
POD 49 Marune: Alastor 933The Connatic rules the three thousand inhabited planets of the Alastor Cluster from his palace Lusz on the world Numenes. Though his military force can bring considerable might to bear where necessary, the Connatic often wanders among his subjects incognito, intervening to right a wrong, or leaving well enough alone.A young man knows nothing of his origins or his name. He is identified at the Connatic's hospital as a Rhune, one of the ruling class of Marune. On Marune he resumes his identity as Efraim, Kaiark of Scharrode, and must relearn the pomp and protocol of the Rhunes, then determine who was responsible for his amnesia-and the death of his father. The mystery leads to the realm of the inscrutable Fwai-chi.Marune is Book III in the Alastor sequence, and Volume 49 of the Spatterlight Press Signature Series.Released in the centenary of the author's birth, this handsome new collectionis based upon the prestigious Vance Integral Edition. Select volumes enjoyup-to-date maps, and many are graced with freshly-written forewords contributedby a distinguished group of authors. Each book bears a facsimile of theauthor's signature and a previously-unpublished photograph, chosen from family archives for the period the book was written. These uniquefeatures will be appreciated by all, from seasoned Vance collector to new reader sampling the spectrum of this author's influential work forthe first time. - John Vance II… (more)

I’m not sure why I picked this one off the shelves for a reread, given that previous Vance rereads haven’t gone so well. But I had fond memories of his Alastor Cluster series, and if the books were going to go back into storage I might as well remind myself of those fond memories. And… Marune: Alastor 993 was a much better book than I’d remembered it. Or rather: I’d remembered it as middling Vance, but it was a better put-together narrative than Star King, which I’d remembered as good Vance. The plot is one Vance has used several times: the amnesiac who has to research his origin and background, and discovers that his amnesia was deliberately induced in order to improve his rivals’, or enemies’, lot. Of course, the book’s real charm lies in the bizarre society the amnesiac belongs to. And, of course, his experiences away from his people have given him a broader outlook, which allows him to think past his family’s customs and traditions, and so he takes his rightful place as head of the family and overcomes his rivals and the family’s enemies. Although his amnesia does get in the way at times… Vance wrote two other Alastor Clusters books: Trullion: Alastor 2262 and Wyst: Alastor 1716. I might give them a reread before they go into storage. ( )
  iansales | Jan 9, 2019 |
This is a minor Vance work. Still entertaining, of course.
  d.r.halliwell | May 8, 2010 |
A fine example of Jack Vance's prose and even philosophy. It's a simple story, one not unfamiliar in sf, but Vance makes it his own. ( )
  wirkman | Mar 24, 2007 |

Jack Vanceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, EddieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruiter, PonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torres, EnrichCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,984,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible