Cassie's Word Quilt by Faith Ringgold

Cassie's Word Quilt

by Faith Ringgold

Series: Cassie

I love finding books with African-American characters to keep my classroom multicultural and allowing my students of color to see characters who look like themselves, which isn't always easy to find. But this book will also be a great mentor text when I teach the labeling lesson during writers workshop. It will also be great for introducing setting and will help my ELL students practice their vocabulary! I love the bright, colorful illustrations too and am exciting to share them with my students! ( )
  lmckenzie | Aug 29, 2015 |
This book is for young readers. It has many pictures, labels and the quilt is a great way for students, especially ESL students to learn a little vocabulary. Teachers could benefit from using this book to teach a few sight words as we;;. It's suggested reading level is Pre-K through Kinder.
  Natoya | Apr 26, 2015 |
This book is aimed for very young children. I like it because it is simple and describes Cassie’s daily life and places she likes to go. In addition, it includes beautiful illustrations that are labeled. The illustrations are colorful, engaging, and continue a theme of having a quilt for every setting. This book is great for young children trying to learn new vocabulary. I feel that this book does not really have a plot or character development because it is so simple and repetitive in its language. However, the language is patterned. It states a setting that Cassie like to go, shows a quilt of words that have to do with that setting, and then shows a detailed scene with labels all over the page. For example, “Cassie’s school is a good place to learn and have fun,” is the start of a new setting and the following page has squares with pictures and words such as “classmates,” “desk,” and “clock.” Overall, this is a very good book for begging readers. ( )
  kriley5 | Feb 10, 2015 |
This is an incredible book to use for students learning vocabulary because the book takes a different strategy by making words into a quilt. This is a great book for meaning of words as well.
  KayceBivins | Apr 30, 2014 |
In this book we take the main character from Tar Beach and join her on her journey across harlem. as we see the images she has words to identify the objects. ( )
  lnfranklin | Nov 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553112333, Paperback)

In Cassie's Word Quilt, a young African American girl takes early readers on a remarkable tour of her 1930s-era Harlem home, school, and neighborhood. The tour serves as a vocabulary jaunt, as well. Dozens of objects are clearly labeled; the youngest viewers of this big lap book can point to familiar images as older readers read the captions: "doll," "quilt," "father," "subway," "jump rope." Ringgold's vibrant art captures the excitement of urban life in an era gone by. Gorgeous spreads feature a richly textured quilt motif, with illustrations picking up on the patterns in the squares of fabric bordering the pages. Seldom have we seen a word identification book as artful as Cassie's Word Quilt.

Ringgold's other titles include Caldecott Honor Book Tar Beach (on which Cassie's Word Quilt is based), and companion volumes Counting to Tar Beach and Cassie's Colorful Day. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

Names the people and objects that make a girl's New York City apartment, school, and neighborhood special.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,951,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible