Half the Blood of Brooklyn: A Novel by…

Half the Blood of Brooklyn: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Charlie Huston

Info:Del Rey (2007), Paperback, 223 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, urban fantasy, noir, vampires, New York

Half the Blood of Brooklyn by Charlie Huston

Recently added byNickpickle05, private library, -sunny-, dm13, vrullan, WhiteHaven, kpn
2009 (3) Already read (2) Book 3 (3) Brooklyn (6) crime (5) detective (6) ebook (8) fantasy (12) fiction (33) hardboiled (3) horror (24) Joe Pitt (24) Kindle (5) mystery (24) New York (10) New York City (7) noir (17) novel (3) paperback (3) paranormal (9) read (7) read in 2007 (3) series (6) signed (3) supernatural (7) to-read (12) unread (4) urban fantasy (21) vampires (73) wishlist (3)

Well, kids, the gloves are off. Sure, ALREADY DEAD and NO DOMINION were pretty tough books - lots of heartless jockeying for power, lots of bones breaking, a few corpses at the end of it all - but by the end of HALF THE BLOOD IN BROOKLYN those were the good old days.

First of all, Joe's taken a job with the Society. It's the safe way to go, but Joe just isn't cut out for that kind of teamwork. His pride has suffered - and so have his morals. He's back to being a hired gun, and for the first time we see him killing indiscriminately. The bodies pile up fast.

Second of all, Evie is dying. She's physically a wreck, and she's not all there mentally, either. The crisis we've seen coming for the past couple of books has arrived: Joe has to let her die, or try to save her by making her a vampire. Naturally, things don't go as planned.

Meanwhile, Joe's sent across the river to Brooklyn. The Society is reaching out to the boroughs for allies and they've found a rag-tag band of carnival freaks who need support. They find out why soon enough: a clan of conservative Jewish vampires is well on its way to owning Brooklyn, and the circus freaks are getting in the way. Sounds simple enough - but when the Coalition and the Society are both involved, everything is complicated. Wheels within wheels.

I read with my heart in my throat for most of the book - too anxious about what would happen next to put it down for even a minute. The ending is definitely a cliffhanger - and I look forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was a disappointment to me, as someone who really enjoyed the first two Joe Pitt novels. There was a stretch of about 50 pages which started off okay, and then someone was killed, and then someone else was killed, and on and on and on. I lost track of why all of these people were dying; it just got sort of boring after awhile. I'm not averse to violence or bloodshed in a novel, but it really felt pointless to me.
Joe Pitt also started to annoy me in this book. Never a very chatty guy, he was downright monosyllabic here, and rather flat as a character.
All in all, a book that sort of meandered and never felt like it had much plot. I wish I had liked it more, as the other reviewers seem to have, but I just didn't feel the love. ( )
  AlaMich | May 30, 2012 |
This is the third in the Joe Pitt vampire/noir series of books so if you're thinking of reading these it might be a good idea to miss out the next paragraph if you want to avoid potential spoilers as it is definitely one best read in order.

Now working for The Society, Joe is sent to Brooklyn on a recruitment mission. Something big is brewing and his boss, Terry, wants some new allies to help when it comes down. As Manhattan is pretty much squared off that leaves over the bridge and Joe is sent to bring back a representative from a clan called the Freaks. Even by vampyre standards these guys really do deserve their name. But with Joe being involved events don't transpire smoothly and he finds himself caught up in a local family squabble. Along with that little problem he also has the ongoing struggle of his rapidly dying Aids infected girlfriend to deal with. The decision to try and replace one disease with another is rapidly approaching and there's no guarantee that she'll survive the process or be happy about the outcome if she does. Added to all this is the complication of Amanda, the girl Joe saved in the last book. She wants to use her inheritance to find a cure for the vyrus and she wants Joe to be a part of it. So there's quite a lot going on in this book and I've not even mentioned the usual complications of The Coalition or Enclave dealings that Joe has.

Despite having quite a few blood and guts moments I feel this book is more of a set-up novel for the remainder of the series and although it leaves you wanting to jump into the next book to find out what happens next I think I'll wait until I have the final volume on tap as well before I do. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Mar 2, 2012 |
It wasn't as exciting as the earlier ones in the series. Joe is still Joe, and the story is still noir with vampires being a 'normal' addition to the world, but there was a lot of - well, I guess discussion is the best word - of relgious-political factions in the vampire world. Of course, Joe is caught in the middle of it all, but... there was too much talk-talk (the Rabbi sharing his politics, Bird sharing his politics, Lydia sharing her politics, the Enclave sharing its politics, Amanda sharing hers and so on...) I wanted more action-story, less talking-story.

That and some of the suspense seemed put-on for the sake of the story: Joe didn't have to go through what he did go through, all he had to do is speak up and much of it wouldn't have happened. But then there'd be no story, huh...

Of course, it was still good, just not as thrilling as I had hoped. ( )
  crazybatcow | Mar 14, 2011 |
I can't get enough of Charlie Huston's vampire-noir mixture. He delivers a unique texture of fantasy riding on the hairy edge of reality. And there isn't much sugar plum fairy stuff going on here. Mostly deep dark disturbing action.

Joe Pitt is a great anti-hero. He has some characteristics that make us like him. With him, what you see is what you get. He gives everyone a fair shake, doesn't hold a grudge, and sees a larger picture than his night-to-night grind to find blood (even if he is a little slow to grasp it at times). And if brutality is called for, Joe's still your man... er, vampire. Sometimes it is hard to believe Joe continues to survive. At one time or another he alienates, um, everyone!

Complaints? The plotting around the Jewish vampires was a bit rough, almost too subtle and harder to follow than most of what Huston writes. Sometimes Huston resorts to sparsely described action even as it crescendos. I'm thinking of the death of the vampire Rabbi. The whole sequence is described in too few brush strokes to me.

I enjoy how the whole series evolves around some key plot elements such as the clans and Pitt's girlfriend. It helps us understand why Joe even bothers to stick around Manhattan. There has to be enough blood across the country, no? Joe's activity keeps bringing him in the faces of the clan leaders and we get to puzzle out the politics and motivations of the larger story.

Huston's work is hugely entertaining to me. ( )
  Penforhire | Jan 12, 2011 |
To Mr. Stoker and Mr. Chandler. With my greatest thanks. And apologies for the liberties taken.
I don't like him. I don't like the way he smells. I don't like the way he looks. I don't like his shoes. If I stuck a blade in him and drank the blood that shot out of the open wound, I wouldn't like the way he tastes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549587X, Paperback)

“One of the most remarkable prose stylists to emerge from the noir tradition in this century.”
–Stephen King

“Hard-boiled horror, pulp noir vampires, decaying urban souls– you’re gonna need a shower after this one. . . . [Huston] kicks down the door of horror.”
–Fangoria, on Already Dead

There’s only so much room on the Island, only so much blood, and Manhattan’s Vampyre Clans aren’t interested in sharing. So when the Vyrus-infected dregs of New York’s outer boroughs start creeping across the bridges and through the tunnels, the Clans want to know why.

Bad luck for PI and general hard case Joe Pitt.

See, Joe used to be a Rogue, used to work off his own dime, picked his own gigs, but tight times and a terminally ill girlfriend pushed him into the arms of the renegade Society Clan. Now he has all the cash and blood he needs, but at a steep price. The price tonight is crossing the bridge, rolling to Coney Island, finding the Freak Clan, and figuring out what’s driving that bunch of savages to scratch at the Society’s door. No need to look far. The answer lies around the corner in Gravesend. Convenient, all those graves.

From uptown to the boardwalk, war drums are beating. Murderous family feuds and personal grudges are being drawn and brandished, along with the long knives. Blood will spill and, big surprise, Joe’s in the middle. But hey, why should this night be different from any other?

Sunset to sunrise: put off a war, keep your head attached to your neck, and save your girl. Check. Joe’s on the case.

Praise for Charlie Huston and his Joe Pitt novels

“In conceiving his world (a New York City divided by vampire clans, each with different reasons to hate Pitt), Huston gives a fading genre a fresh afterlife. [Grade:] A.”
–Entertainment Weekly

“[Huston] creates a world that is at once supernatural and totally familiar, imaginative, and utterly convincing.”
–The Philadelphia Inquirer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:47 -0400)

"There's only so much room on the Island, only so much blood, and Manhattan's Vampyre Clans aren't interested in sharing. So when the Vyrus-infected dregs of New York's outer boroughs start creeping across the bridges and through the tunnels, the Clans want to know why. Bad luck for PI and general hard case Joe Pitt." "See, Joe used to be a Rogue, used to work off his own dime, picked his own gigs, but tight times and a terminally ill girlfriend pushed him into the arms of the renegade Society Clan. Now he has all the cash and blood he needs, but at a steep price. The price tonight is crossing the bridge, rolling to Coney Island, finding the Freak Clan, and figuring out what's driving that bunch of savages to scratch at the Society's door. No need to look far. The answer lies around the corner in Gravesend. Convenient, all those graves." "From uptown to the boardwalk, war drums are beating. Murderous family feuds and personal grudges are being drawn and brandished, along with the long knives. Blood will spill and, big surprise, Joe's in the middle. But hey, why should this night be different from any other? Sunset to sunrise: Put off a war, keep your head attached to your neck, and save your girl. Check. Joe's on the case."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

57 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible