Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by…

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic (original 1996; edition 1996)

by David Currie

Member:JFDausman
Title:Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
Authors:David Currie
Info:Ignatius Press (1996), Paperback, 215 pages

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David B. Currie (1996)

The author uses the Bible to explain the reasons he became a Catholic. The book is intended for his protestant friends and is meant to explain and to convince. It is clearly written, but I am not sure it would convince determined protestants. I do think recent converts from various protestant denominations would enjoy reading it and would agree with his arguments. But I want more quotations from the Bible that support Catholic theology in a conversion story. ( )
  judithrs | Mar 28, 2011 |
If I could give it 6 stars I would. Bar none, the BEST apologetic book I've read. How this could be topped I don't know. All the major areas are covered in a thorough, but non-combative way. Currie goes out of his way to use the language of those to whom he is speaking, his former Protestant/Evangelical friends.

I especially enjoyed the chapter about eschatology, the end times. I had never read a good explanation, nor really known there was a divide in thinking, regarding the end of time. However, when I heard Evangelicals talk about The Rapture I always wondered why I never learned about that in 12 years of Catholic school. Currie set me straight on the 3 main strands of eschatological thought.

My favorite quote (I'm paraphrasing) is when Currie is asked by one of his Evangelical minister friends why he is converting to Catholicism. Currie responds because his reflection has led him to the truth that the Catholic Church is the one, true church of Christ. His friend responds, "You're doing all that for truth? You must care a lot more about truth than I ever did." ( )
1 vote sergerca | Jul 21, 2009 |
This is the most persuasive argument I've encountered in support of the Catholic religion over Protestantism. Its effectiveness is probably due in part to the similarities between the author's background and my own. Although this book hasn't completely convinced me, it has convinced me there are some strong arguments worthy of consideration. Equally so, I see strong reasons against some of the evangelical perspective. ( )
  jpsnow | Feb 22, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 089870569X, Paperback)

David Currie was raised in a devout Christian family whose father was a fundamentalist preacher and both parents teachers at Moody Bible Institute. Currie's whole upbringing was immersed in the life of fundamentalist Protestantism - theology professors, seminary presidents and founders of evangelical mission agencies were frequent guests at his family dinner table. Currie received a degree from Trinity International University and studied in the Masters of Divinity program. This book was written as an explanation to his fundamentalist and evangelical friends and family about why he became a Roman Catholic. Currie presents a very lucid, systematic and intelligible account of the reasons for his conversion to the ancient Church that Christ founded. He gives a detailed discussion of the important theological and doctrinal beliefs Catholic and evangelicals hold in common, as well as the key doctrines that separate us, particularly the Eucharist, the Pope, and Mary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,520,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible