Everything That Rises Must Converge by…

Everything That Rises Must Converge (original 1965; edition 1965)

by Flannery O'Connor

Member:pdworkin
Title:Everything That Rises Must Converge
Authors:Flannery O'Connor
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (1965), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Southern Fiction

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor (1965)

I read/listened to A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories and Everything That Rises Must Converge back-to-back and have to say that I found the tone of this book a bit softer than A Good Man. While both books share a dearth of characters vying for sainthood, this last volume written before her death at least seems to offer some hope for humanity. Still O'Connor’s prose offers us an insight into the human condition that is unparalleled in American literature. As Thomas Merton said after her death in 1964, “I write her name with honor, for all the truth and all the craft with which she shows man’s fall and his dishonor.”

I suspect that her stories will stay with me for many years to come. Some, like the tragic The Lame Shall Enter First, may never leave me.

FYI: On a 5-point scale I assign stars based on my assessment of what the book needs in the way of improvements:
*5 Stars – Nothing at all. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
*4 Stars – It could stand for a few tweaks here and there but it’s pretty good as it is.
*3 Stars – A solid C grade. Some serious rewriting would be needed in order for this book to be considered great or memorable.
*2 Stars – This book needs a lot of work. A good start would be to change the plot, the character development, the writing style and the ending.
*1 Star - The only thing that would improve this book is a good bonfire. ( )
  Unkletom | Mar 13, 2016 |
My first taste of this author. Interesting dark humor. I want to read something else by her. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Discussed on the A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast, Episode 99.

http://agoodstoryishardtofind.blogspot.com/2015/01/good-story-099-everything-tha... ( )
  ScottDDanielson | Oct 15, 2015 |
"Everything that Rises Must Converge" is a collection of Flannery O'Connor's short stories. Some of these were familiar to me.... I know we read a few in high school and I've probably read some in short story collections over the years.

O'Connor's stories focus on the deep south and on questions of race. Her characters are all unlikeable and troubled, and the stories usually have a turning point where the characters basically get what's coming to them. Sometimes this is incredibly effective, other times it seems pretty obvious where the story is going.

I like her work, but often had a hard time discerning what the overall message is supposed to be. It was very uncomfortable to read so many stories with the n word uttered over and over... so perhaps they aren't aging well. ( )
1 vote amerynth | Apr 28, 2015 |
My first Flannery O'Connor, and now I know where Olive Kitteridge comes from. There is something in the style and her character portrayal that I can trace right back to these O'Connor characters.
It's a collection of stories Flannery O'Connor was working on when she died. They are all exceptionally good and deal with the South, race and morality. They are occupied by the bygone world of people, stragglers who haven’t noticed that the world had moved forward and left them behind. It's as if they couldn't help themselves. They are the world the world left behind. We perceive them as bigoted and obnoxious but they can only be pitied as they are much more lost in it than anybody else. ( )
1 vote Niecierpek | Feb 28, 2015 |

Flannery O'Connorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Connor, Flannerymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Flannery O'Connor was working on Everything That Rises Must Converge at the time of her death. This collection is an exquisite legacy from a genius of the American short story, in which she scrutinizes territory familiar to her readers: race, faith, and morality. The stories encompass the comic and the tragic, the beautiful and the grotesque; each carries her highly individual stamp and could have been written by no one else.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

Nine stories of the fierceness and struggle of life among white people in the new South.

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,244,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible