Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Everything That Rises Must Converge by…

Everything That Rises Must Converge (original 1965; edition 1965)

by Flannery O'conner

Member:KABLOOEY
Title:Everything That Rises Must Converge
Authors:Flannery O'conner
Info:Signet Classic (1965), Paperback

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor (1965)

Wickedly concise and bone-true, these stories have given me a lot to think about. Flannery O'Connor sets up these infallible situations where awful people only get what they deserve, but usually at the expense of the good people around them. Didn't I feel just terrible laughing sometimes.

This edition had a glossy photograph of O'Connor in the opening pages and its a great shot. Its up close in her face and she has an almost nervous grin. You can see her thin hands just knitting together in front of her and, most telling of all, her eyes are shifted to the right. She knows what you're about to get into it and she wishes she could see your face.

Because there were more than a few characters who were sympathetic, O'Connor wrote with such clarity about their thought processes that sympathy for their positions was natural. They scheme, they gloat, they judge, they resent - they're human. Many of them their troubles onto themselves, some are victims of bizarre fate. I do not question the reviewer who compared her to Sophocles.

Flannery O'Connor was a huge talent. There is bleakness and cruelty in these stories, but there's humor and wisdom too. I've got a lot to think about. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Mrs. O'Connor is an uncompromising woman. She does not like racism, doesn't like northern liberals, but mostly hates hypocrites. The last one I mentioned is to designate catastrophes and sometimes violent and terrible death, on which only enlightenment and revelation came.

The stories O'Connor wrote on her deathbed do not compromise and do not make assumptions to the innocent reader. She did not come to please anyone but to hit you with her words, sometimes the blow so hard that you remain dizzy and helpless.

All the stories in the book are good but the five stars she received from me on the story with the ironic name "comforts of the house." Her hero is not as condemned to death as most of her other heroes, but when he longs for the release of Death, she is discussing him for an even worse fate, for life. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 20, 2019 |
A collection of short stories about the most miserable assemblage of humanity imaginable.

I’m giving myself permission not to like Flannery O’Connor. I read some of her work in college, and later picked up this volume in a used bookstore. It took me years to get around to it, and I must admit that I found reading it a struggle. It’s so very depressing. There’s not a likable character in the book, and reading about deplorable people getting what they deserve is not exactly uplifting. Lots of people like O’Connor’s writing; I am not one of them. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 1, 2018 |
AUDIO REVIEW. I never thought as highly of these stories as the ones in A Good Man Is Hard to Find, but listening to them was a revelation close to the one had by Mrs. Turpin. The readers are all top-notch: who knew that Bronson Pinchot had it in him? And the person who reads "A View of the Woods" and "Judgement Day," Mark Bramhalland, is perfect. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
The classic O'Connor themes are all here and the ugliness of humanity is on full display and is all the more palpitations-inducing because of how realistic and relatable it is, rooted as it is in the universal misguided sense of moral superiority of oneself.

This collection is more narrow-focused than her first collection A Good Man, probably reflective of O'Connor's illness, displaying a particular preoccupation with the idea of death serving as ironic justice (in the first half of the book) and the idea of salvation (in the second half).

Aside: the blurb speaks highly of a writer called Katherine Anne Porter, another name to watch out for when browsing books. ( )
1 vote kitzyl | Jun 30, 2017 |

O'Connor, Flanneryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, HermioneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Flannery O'Connor was working on Everything That Rises Must Converge at the time of her death. This collection is an exquisite legacy from a genius of the American short story, in which she scrutinizes territory familiar to her readers: race, faith, and morality. The stories encompass the comic and the tragic, the beautiful and the grotesque; each carries her highly individual stamp and could have been written by no one else.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

Nine stories of the fierceness and struggle of life among white people in the new South.

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,508,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible