The True Story of Pocahontas by Lucille…

The True Story of Pocahontas

by Lucille Recht Penner

This is a biography of Pocahontas for readers in the first to third grade. I was interested in learning more about Pocahontas, I think there is lots of good information, but I also think the flow and plot of the story was choppy and a bit dry. It covered a lot of events, and would have been easier to follow if it had more details, I felt as if it jumped around too much and there were some holes in the story. I think this is an interesting topic, but the writing style did not appeal to me. The main idea of this story is about Pocahontas’ life, and how it changed forever when the English came to America. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | May 10, 2014 |
This book is great for young readers wanting to learn about our history. For those that have seen the Disney version of Pocahontas (myself included), it does a good job with setting the record straight on what actually happened since the movie is so inaccurate and that is the majority of the information we receive on the account of Pocahontas. It also does a very nice job of softening some of the more violent aspects of the events without completely excluding them. Great for a younger student's social studies project, a start on a biography study, or just if they are interested in history. ( )
  adscrim | May 7, 2014 |
This "Step into Reading" book is aimed for readers in grades 1-3. However, as an adult this book seemed like it was too long to read for that age group. The story is written in simple vocabulary which children would understand. However, unless they have a good amount of prior knowledge about this time period in America, the story can be hard to follow. They draw the story out so long that I was getting confused about all the different names and Indian words that they were using. This book could have been written better if it was a more abbreviated version of the story that was easier to follow along. It also should have included more about Pocahontas and less about American history because her character was not even introduced until the middle-end of the story. ( )
  DannieN | Nov 15, 2013 |
Summary:
A young girl in a Native American tribe is the chiefs daughter and shows her life in a different society and how she handle her daily tasks and interactions with the Americans

Personal Reaction:
This book was different than what i thought it was going to be. I knew about Pocahontas, but it was interesting to see it from a different perspective.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. This book could be a way to introduce Native American Culture into the classroom especially around thanksgiving. Children could make headdresses like she wore and even shoes out of fabric. The children could pretend that they were living in a Native American Tribe
  CaitlinJones | Mar 30, 2013 |
As part of the Step-into-Reading series, this book does a good job of presenting a basic, readable text for young readers age 5-8 to enjoy. The problem is that none of the information presented here is cited. Many generalizations are made. Pocahontas is called an "Indian Princess." This book reinforces stereotypes and does little to promote critical thought. While it serves its purpose as a tool for students learning how to read, I would not recommend using it with any student due to its very questionable content. While the text is a step above Disney's "Pocahontas" film, the illustrations are far inferior. ( )
  DayehSensei | Mar 22, 2012 |

Illus. in full color. Filled with suspense, romance, and historical details, here's a very young biography of the Powhatan Indian princess who played a vital role in early Colonial and Native American relations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:49 -0400)

An introduction to the life of Pocahontas, a seventeenth-century Powhatan Indian known for befriending Captain John Smith and the English settlers of Jamestown.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible