Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler:…

Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Wade Rouse

Member:GirlsSentAway
Title:Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
Authors:Wade Rouse
Info:Three Rivers Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

Confessions of a prep school mommy handler by Wade Rouse (2007)

21st century (1) 43 (1) American (1) beautifully written (1) biography (4) class (1) college (1) DONE (1) education (1) expose (1) fiction (1) have read (1) humor (4) lgbt (1) meh (1) memoir (11) NF (1) non-fiction (5) NYC (1) popularity (1) prep school (5) read (1) rich people (1) satire (1) school (1) St. Louis (1) teaching (1) to-read (4) USA (2) wealth (1)

This book is very dependent on the reader's sense of humor; seeing the cover and reading the blurbs, I expected it to be funny. On the contrary, I thought it was terribly sad; other people disagree with me. I never found it either amusing or inspiring. More of a cautionary tale to stay with me own middle class.

I once had someone ask me why I worked since I hated my job so much. When I mentioned food, clothing, and shelter, they looked astounded. People often seemed to assume that surely someone would support me if I decided to quit. I didn't have a husband, but surely my family . . . -- no, only while I was in the mental hospital getting it through my head that adults are self-supporting.

So while I can see that Rouse could do with some more moral courage, dignity and truth have to weighed against the reality of bills, and the fear of jumping into a new, and possibly no better situation. Some people find that easy, the rest of us accept some suffering. And of course, a woman that I know who changed jobs frequently found out that it weighed against her in later life.

I never thought that The Great Gatsby was the great American novel. I kept thinking about it as I read this book. It is supposed to be about "us," but I see it as being about "them," the social class to which Daisy belongs and Gatsby has worked his way into, the class of the mean mommies of "Tate," people I don't know, and don't want to. ( )
  juglicerr | Jun 5, 2017 |
I read an essay by Rouse on-line that was hysterical, this book.... not so much. Too many bad metaphors. ( )
  InDreamsAwake | Apr 5, 2013 |
I thought this would be a guilty pleasure, a fun portrait of the rich women who make the lives of the little people miserable. Instead, or actually in addition to that, I found a well-written memoir. Rouse was a closeted gay man working at an exclusive prep school at the start of the book. The journey he takes is memorable. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I have to confess to a weakness for school-based novels so I probably enjoyed this more than I should have. On the other hand, the writing was good enough to keep me interested. I also believe the story was probably based on real life; nothing that happened hasn't already happened in real life. Private schools, helicopter parents, and scheming to attain Ivy League acceptances are all that's important to a certain class of people. Interesting, quick reading. ( )
  kageeh | Dec 25, 2011 |
Personally, I really enjoyed this book. Wade Rouse is a hilarious author, and he writes about a time in his life where he was doing something that he was great at (PR at a Prep School) by sacrificing one very important thing (his dignity). I've seen mothers like this, and I thought it was a very honest and entertaining portrayal. Luckily for him, it seems like this was his big turning point that led him to his next experience in life, moving to the country with his partner (At Least in the City Someone Would Hear me Scream). Can't wait for more books by this author. ( )
  TBRetc | Jul 29, 2011 |

Wade Rouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dong, LaurenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fotheringham, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaffney, EvanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am getting to know the rich."

"I think you'll find the only difference between the rich and other people is that the rich have more money."

-- Mary Colum's response to Ernest Hemingway
For Gary, my muse --

I promise 'the dream' will get easier
To be perfectly transparent from the start, a personal disclosure: I highlight my hair. (Author's note)
Deep cleansing breath iiiiinnnn . . .

When Wade Rouse—a rural, public school graduate who grew up more Hee Haw than Dynasty—was hired as the director of publicity at the prestigious Tate Academy, he quickly discovered his real job was to make a few of the very pretty, very rich, very mean mommies of the elite students happy.

Enter former Tate beauty queen and sports star Katherine Isabelle Ludington—Kitsy to her friends—who went to an Ivy, married an Ivy, and made a lot of money. Now, she is Wade’s VIP volunteer and a perfectly coiffed nightmare.

In between designing Louis Vuitton–inspired reunion invitations, dressing as Ronald Reagan for Halloween, and surviving surprise Botox parties, Wade tries to tame Kitsy and her pink Lilly Pulitzer–clad posse while reclaiming his self-esteem.

Following a year in the life of the super rich and super spoiled, Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler is hilarious, heartbreaking, and deliciously catty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

In this memoir showcasing the ugly side of the affluent mothers of the pseudonymous Tate Academy, among the country's most prestigious prep schools, Rouse, the school's director of public relations, explains that his job is that of the Mommy Handler keeping the families and benefactors of the institution happy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,264,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible