Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler:…

Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir (edition 2008)

by Wade Rouse

Member:GirlsSentAway
Title:Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
Authors:Wade Rouse
Info:Three Rivers Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir by Wade Rouse

43 (1) 2008 (1) biography (3) class (1) college (1) DONE (1) education (1) entitlement (1) expose (1) fiction (1) homosexuality (1) humor (4) lgbt (1) meh (1) memoir (11) moms (1) NF (1) non-fiction (5) popularity (1) prep school (5) read (1) READ AND REMOVED (1) read in 2009 (1) read in 2011 (1) satire (1) school (1) St. Louis (1) teaching (1) to-read (3) wealth (1)

I read an essay by Rouse on-line that was hysterical, this book.... not so much. Too many bad metaphors. ( )
  InDreamsAwake | Apr 5, 2013 |
I thought this would be a guilty pleasure, a fun portrait of the rich women who make the lives of the little people miserable. Instead, or actually in addition to that, I found a well-written memoir. Rouse was a closeted gay man working at an exclusive prep school at the start of the book. The journey he takes is memorable. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I have to confess to a weakness for school-based novels so I probably enjoyed this more than I should have. On the other hand, the writing was good enough to keep me interested. I also believe the story was probably based on real life; nothing that happened hasn't already happened in real life. Private schools, helicopter parents, and scheming to attain Ivy League acceptances are all that's important to a certain class of people. Interesting, quick reading. ( )
  kageeh | Dec 25, 2011 |
Personally, I really enjoyed this book. Wade Rouse is a hilarious author, and he writes about a time in his life where he was doing something that he was great at (PR at a Prep School) by sacrificing one very important thing (his dignity). I've seen mothers like this, and I thought it was a very honest and entertaining portrayal. Luckily for him, it seems like this was his big turning point that led him to his next experience in life, moving to the country with his partner (At Least in the City Someone Would Hear me Scream). Can't wait for more books by this author. ( )
  Zeppelin25 | Jul 29, 2011 |
This book starts out deliciously catty and entertaining. Every few pages I had to share bits and pieces with my husband, to underscore why I'd made the right choice in not sending our kids to an elitist institution. I wanted to relish this book, but after a while, the author's passive aggressive doormat persona just grew tiresome. ( )
  smbmom | Jun 1, 2009 |

When Wade Rouse—a rural, public school graduate who grew up more Hee Haw than Dynasty—was hired as the director of publicity at the prestigious Tate Academy, he quickly discovered his real job was to make a few of the very pretty, very rich, very mean mommies of the elite students happy.

Enter former Tate beauty queen and sports star Katherine Isabelle Ludington—Kitsy to her friends—who went to an Ivy, married an Ivy, and made a lot of money. Now, she is Wade’s VIP volunteer and a perfectly coiffed nightmare.

In between designing Louis Vuitton–inspired reunion invitations, dressing as Ronald Reagan for Halloween, and surviving surprise Botox parties, Wade tries to tame Kitsy and her pink Lilly Pulitzer–clad posse while reclaiming his self-esteem.

Following a year in the life of the super rich and super spoiled, Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler is hilarious, heartbreaking, and deliciously catty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:35 -0400)

A memoir of life among the super rich--and super spoiled--describes how the author's job as director of publicity at a prestigious prep school became translated into an effort to keep some of the wealthy, pretty, and mean mothers of the elite students happy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible