The Dhammapada (Classics of Indian…

The Dhammapada (Classics of Indian Spirituality) (edition 2007)

by Eknath Easwaran (Translator)

Member:John.Upchurch
Title:The Dhammapada (Classics of Indian Spirituality)
Authors:Eknath Easwaran (Translator)
Info:Nilgiri Press (2007), Edition: 2nd, 256 pages

The Dhammapada by Anonymous

There is wisdom here hidden in verse form and covered over with years of translation. After decoding it is a great insight into Goatama Buddha, ( )
  jefware | Jun 10, 2018 |
This is a lovely translation, but the word choices lean towards the Christan mind set. ( )
  booklove1 | May 31, 2018 |
This is a slim volume of Buddhist teachings- only a page or two per topic. It ranges from Anger, to Old Age. The wisdom presented is easily understood, but difficult to master. Regardless of what you believe, or religion you follow, there will be something for you to ponder on. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 31, 2017 |
Simple is the Dhammapada to read but difficult to live your life by; he who lives by it will have a life that is neat and tidy, like a restaurant kitchen that has just been cleaned at the end of a shift.

Simple is the Dhammapada to read but difficult to live your life by; he who does not live by it will have a life that is chaotic and difficult, like a restaurant kitchen that is filled with dirty dishes and mess in the middle of the dinner rush.
  smallself | Oct 16, 2017 |
I doubt I have anything original to say about The Dhammapada, but I'll offer my tuppence-worth anyway.

Its message is a deceptively simple one, in essence "be kind, be mindful". In that, as the editor of my edition, Juan Mascaró, says, it has a commonality with the essence of every major world religion. I guess the differences between religions are mainly in the particular cultural presentation of universal truths (and, perhaps, the lengths to which we go to justify deviating from the clearly marked path).

The passages in the Dhammapada which particularly resonated for me on this reading were those that chime with the person-centred worldview based on the psychological theory of Carl R. Rogers. So, for example, chapters one and two (Contrary Ways and Watchfulness) had meaning for me in respect of Rogers' quality of Congruence: the awareness of the flow of thought and feeling in ourselves and how they arise and are more or less distorted through the lens of past experience and psychological defensiveness. Other chapters speak to me of the process of personality change and the movement from rigid, pre-defined views of the world, to a more fluid, in-the-moment 'way of being' (to borrow the title of one of Rogers' books). There are, for me, other correspondences (though I wouldn't go so far as to say there are exact matches throughout) which I won't elaborate on, but which added to the richness of my reading this time around.

I find it fascinating that a secular, science-based approach to understanding the nature of being human can arrive at some very similar conclusions to those underlying our oldest religious traditions. This is why, as an atheist, I'm still interested in religion. It's part of who we are and the tendency towards religious ways of experiencing is likely to continue unabated as a part of us.

I'm not personally inclined towards a belief in godhead, but the numinous feeling of universal oneness which I have sometimes (rarely) felt speaks to me of the deep relatedness which, at our best, we can recognise for each other as persons of intrinsic worth, regardless of any other perceived differences. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Feb 20, 2017 |

Juan MascaróTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mascaró, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, Friedrich MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valvanne, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow; our life is the creation of our mind.

"The Dhammapada" is a collection of aphorisms that illustrate the moral teachings of Buddha - the spiritual path to the supreme Truth. Probably compiled in the third century BCE, the verses are arranged according to theme, covering ideas such as self-possession, good and evil, watchfulness and endurance. Together they describe how an individual can attain the enlightenment of Nirvana, the supreme goal of Buddhism. The road to Nirvana, as illustrated in "The Dhammapada", is narrow and difficult to negotiate, but the reward of eternal life gives hope and determination to the traveller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

Easwaran's introduction to the Dhammapada gives an overview of the Buddha's teachings that is reliable, penetrating, and clear--accessible for readers new to Buddhism, but also with fresh insights and practical applications for readers familiar with this text.--Cover, p. [4].… (more)

Nilgiri Press

An edition of this book was published by Nilgiri Press.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible