The Dhammapada by Anonymous

The Dhammapada (edition 1973)

by Anonymous, Juan Mascaro (Translator)

Member:gbill
Title:The Dhammapada
Authors:Anonymous
Other authors:Juan Mascaro (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics (1973), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Dhammapada by Anonymous

I doubt I have anything original to say about The Dhammapada, but I'll offer my tuppence-worth anyway.

Its message is a deceptively simple one, in essence "be kind, be mindful". In that, as the editor of my edition, Juan Mascaró, says, it has a commonality with the essence of every major world religion. I guess the differences between religions are mainly in the particular cultural presentation of universal truths (and, perhaps, the lengths to which we go to justify deviating from the clearly marked path).

The passages in the Dhammapada which particularly resonated for me on this reading were those that chime with the person-centred worldview based on the psychological theory of Carl R. Rogers. So, for example, chapters one and two (Contrary Ways and Watchfulness) had meaning for me in respect of Rogers' quality of Congruence: the awareness of the flow of thought and feeling in ourselves and how they arise and are more or less distorted through the lens of past experience and psychological defensiveness. Other chapters speak to me of the process of personality change and the movement from rigid, pre-defined views of the world, to a more fluid, in-the-moment 'way of being' (to borrow the title of one of Rogers' books). There are, for me, other correspondences (though I wouldn't go so far as to say there are exact matches throughout) which I won't elaborate on, but which added to the richness of my reading this time around.

I find it fascinating that a secular, science-based approach to understanding the nature of being human can arrive at some very similar conclusions to those underlying our oldest religious traditions. This is why, as an atheist, I'm still interested in religion. It's part of who we are and the tendency towards religious ways of experiencing is likely to continue unabated as a part of us.

I'm not personally inclined towards a belief in godhead, but the numinous feeling of universal oneness which I have sometimes (rarely) felt speaks to me of the deep relatedness which, at our best, we can recognise for each other as persons of intrinsic worth, regardless of any other perceived differences. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Feb 20, 2017 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Over the summer I've collected Penguin's Little Black Classics, a collection of 80 little booklets from all parts of world literature. Now, I'm reading them in a random order.

This booklet contains 'Captivating aphorisms illustrating the Buddhist dhamma, or moral system. '

I must admit that I read and rated it purely based on reading it as a piece of literature, rather than spiritual. And, to be quite frank, it was not an easy read. It was not even a nice read. The aphorisms (at least the ones collected) are often almost the same and just stated slightly different, or one is stating it positively and another one negatively. This made it so far my least favourite of the Little Black Classics even though I thought it was interesting to read something for a change that I perhaps wouldn't have picked up on my own. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This was only the 2nd of these that annoyed / disgusted / bored me so much I was just unable to finish
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
This is a golden nugget of a book - a tiny paperback containing tons of wisdom. Dhammapada (Dhamma in Pali, Dharma in Sanskrit - both meaning the Truth), the 423 aphorisms of the way of the Buddha, the Perfect Path, is translated from Pali language. The Introduction by Juan Mascaro, covering one third of the tiny book, is in itself a wonderful interpretation of what is to follow. A must book on one's bedside table. ( )
2 vote Clara53 | Nov 7, 2015 |
Great translation and very readable. ( )
1 vote David.Cooper | Oct 5, 2013 |

Anonymousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lal, P.Translatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mascaro, JuanTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Babbitt, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mascaró, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mascaro, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, Friedrich MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow; our life is the creation of our mind.

"The Dhammapada" is a collection of aphorisms that illustrate the moral teachings of Buddha - the spiritual path to the supreme Truth. Probably compiled in the third century BCE, the verses are arranged according to theme, covering ideas such as self-possession, good and evil, watchfulness and endurance. Together they describe how an individual can attain the enlightenment of Nirvana, the supreme goal of Buddhism. The road to Nirvana, as illustrated in "The Dhammapada", is narrow and difficult to negotiate, but the reward of eternal life gives hope and determination to the traveller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

Translation of one of the most popular texts in the Buddhist canon. Collection of verses regarded as the utterances of Buddha.

4 free

Nilgiri Press

An edition of this book was published by Nilgiri Press.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,185,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible