Travelling to Infinity: The True Story…

Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind The Theory of Everything (1999)

by Jane Hawking

Essentially a biography of Stephen Hawking written by his first wife, primarily covering the years of their marriage. This is a personal account, with lots of details of their home life and the circumstances of Stephen's career, though little technical detail, making entirely approachable by a lay person. One has to bear in mind that it is written by his ex-wife, so certainly not an impartial witness, however I found that the author generally acknowledged her own bias and limitations. Very interesting. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Sep 4, 2015 |
I've always had a deep appreciation and admiration for Stephen Hawking and his discoveries. When I heard of the movie, "The Theory of Everything", I wanted to see it. I'm glad I didn't have an opportunity before reading this book. As always, the book is better than the movie. I finished the book last week, and two days later watched the movie. The movie is good as far as it goes and I was interested to hear that both Stephen and Jane were impressed by the actors who portrayed them. Their comments are part of the bonuses on the DVD. The movie was enjoyable but as always, there is a lot that has to be left out. The book is so much more interesting and intense. To read Jane Hawking's story of their meeting and subsequent life together is nothing short of amazing. One cannot help but feel for this brilliant young man when he is diagnosed with ALS and given two years to live. Boy did he ever prove them wrong! One also cannot help but admire his and Jane's strength and determination through everything to make it work no matter the cost. Jane is herself a very intelligent, strong and determined woman who loved Stephen dearly and worked hard to give him everything she could throughout all their trials. Maybe I'm saying to much...maybe not enough. Would you read this book if I say you won't regret it? I know I won't. ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jun 9, 2015 |
La película que se hizo de este libro, La Teoría del todo, me pareció muy mala. Bah, en realidad, no es terrible, pero mínima (muy inferior) para tratarse del genio de quien se trata; un intento desesperado por emocionar que resulta en un melodrama digno de Hallmark--de no ser por la actuación maravillosa del que hace de Stephen Hawking.

¿Capaz es libro es mejor....?
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is a book about the twenty-five year marriage of Jane and Steven Hawking, and I almost feel like I've experienced every minute of it. It is greatly detailed with many boring references to Jane's doctoral thesis which could have easily been left out. They were, however, easy to skim over. I have always been interested in Steven Hawking and how he was able to function with severe motor neuron disease. He is a genius with a big ego and Jane is obviously a saint with a fantastic memory. I found the book for the most part very interesting, and even though it could have been a lot shorter, it was a worthwhile read. I am looking forward to seeing the movie. ( )
  slsmith101 | Feb 2, 2015 |
For my family.
Wings to Fly
The story of my life with Stephen Hawking began in the summer of 1962, though possibly it began ten or so years earlier than that without my being aware of it.

'My Life With Stephen' is a moving and engaging memoir written by Stephen Hawking's first wife about the turbulent years of her marriage with the astro-physics genius, her traumatic divorce and their recent reconciliation.

118 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible