From the back cover:
From "a" and "an" to a "zero" that means something and a "zero" that means nothing, this book guides you through the labyrinth of the American language to the goal of clear expression and communication. Ideal for practical reference as well as for entertaining browsing, it includes:
* More than 2,000 words that are frequently mistaken for one another with sometimes hilarious or even horrific results.
* The fine shades of meaning that distinguish words close to each other in definition.
* The modern American usage of words.
* Alphabetical organization, with cross-referencing and indexing, that allows you to resolve confusion quickly.
* Clear examples of correct usage, and fascinating and authoritative commentary.
The New American Dictionary of Confusing Words is an invaluable aid in avoiding the pitfalls that words can pose, and achieving the mastery of nuance that they can provide.