Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (1997)

by Mitch Albom

English (251)  Spanish (7)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (263)
Conversations and observations on life ad death.
  PendleHillLibrary | Feb 10, 2016 |
I found this book to be an easy and well written read. I found the story heartwarming and inspirational. The one Tuesday I thought was missing out of this book however, was the Tuesday of Truth. Who's Truth? Morrie's Truth and no one else's. Although I agree with most of what Morrie had to say. I do not agree with all of it. After all, he had his life, I have mine.

I am happy to see that this book has inspired so many people. I think that we are all somewhat consciously coming to the same conclusion. The conclusion that we are more alike than we would like to admit.

I highly recommend this book and hope that whomever reads it is inspired by it. If it has the power to turn someone's life around even in the small way, it will have fulfilled its purpose. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
I loved the portrait of Morrie. I hope I can face the end with the same spirit.[br/][br/]jerry-book ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom - Excellent

Usually, I know exactly what I'm going to 'read next' and move seamlessly from book to book. Other times, I'm not so sure and pick a handful off the shelf, reading the back and then the first para or or two to see which capture my interest. Tuesdays with Morrie captured me so much I sat and read the whole thing in a day!

It is a true story of the author and his old Professor. They lose touch after his graduation until a chance viewing of a tv show brings them together. Morrie has been diagnosed with ALS - MND to us (funnily enough didn't know they were the same thing until all this ice-bucket stuff!) - and his strength in the face of his inevitable demise is inspiring. I rarely cry, but this one had me desperately trying not to at the end.

Beautiful book and so moving. An inspiration!
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Wonderful, wonderful. So much to be learned and put into practice from a man who has lived a full life and embarks to make sure he dies a full death. Death really separates the wheat from the chaff of life, and Morrie had much of it down before his diagnosis. After his diagnosis, he simply honed his life more quickly. A great tale of friendship, redemption, life lessons and living with as few regrets as possible. This one will stay on my shelf, ready to be read again and again. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,155,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible