Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (1997)

by Mitch Albom

English (233)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (244)
I would strongly recommend anyone planning to read this book to watch all "Nightline Morrie" videos on YouTube. This will help put face and voice to person about whom this book is and make the reading little more personal experience.

I am not much fan of self-help and sermonizing books so my approach towards 'Tuesdays with Morrie' was not an optimistic one. And I am sorry to report that this book didn't help me dispel the notion. Author Mitch's attempt at finding reverence in anything mentioned by Professor Morrie without giving the thought, and comparing the supposed best state laid by Morrie with rare worst state of everyone else while pretending that rare state is common one, gives impression that banalities uttered by dying professor are newly discovered truths.

If you distil away lessons from the book, you will come with importance of love and compassion, holding on to your values, not running in rat race, and not give too much meaning to money or material possessions. Unless you had your head buried in sand for your life and not had even tiny bit of introspection, you would have known this already. Difficulty is not in knowing but in following through. Unfortunately, Morrie doesn't provide such example from his own life. All his wisdom came to him in moments before dying. As being drunk makes one philosopher, so in his case being on the verge of dying made him philosopher. And a pretentious one at that who wrote down and shared his "aphorisms" with rest of world, with tone of teaching others to live. Just like drunk, when sober, goes on to his life forgetting everything, so was Morrie living his life oblivious of his own wisdom before he came to know about his ALS.

His decisions of not being embarrassed and ashamed of his illness and disability is praiseworthy, but only if you consider alternative that everyone else with this illness is just crying all the time. Indeed doing what he was doing at this stage is most logical way, for he had no other viable option. He is provided for litany of personal care nurses and best of medicines, surely funded by money, and yet claims money means nothing. His own career isn't banner advertisement of living for others or social charity. His advice on marriage is to love, respect, and compromise. Aha, I didn't know that NOT! His advice on forgiving, if taken literally, is perfect excuse for not thinking through your life and just doing anything. I could go on, but the point is that author just didn't think through what Morrie was saying before framing everything and putting on pedestal. I did shed a tear or two in the end though, for what it is worth.

Read it if you are kind of person who needs reassertions of obvious from someone else, and who doesn't give much thought to hypocrisy of medium but rather appreciates the self evident message. It's a quick read anyway, so you have not much to lose. ( )
  ashishg | Sep 22, 2014 |
This was the only book that brought a tear to my eye every time I picked it up...even more so than "Falling Leaves." It definitely puts life into perspective. ( )
  kchung_kaching | Sep 1, 2014 |
Just finished rereading this book. The first time I read it because I felt I should. It's one of those "new classics" that you're expected to know. I got my copy and went through, but didn't connect.

However, this time it was a "right place, right time situation." So inspiring, so many great lines of wisdom, such an endearing reminder of the fragility of life in under 200 pages.

Really, really glad I came back for round 2. ( )
  Bricker | Aug 28, 2014 |
A very touching book with many different lessons and mantras for life. I read it for school, but I'd read it out if I was given the chance, too. ( )
  silkpanda123 | May 14, 2014 |
Great book. Really makes you think about life & how you approach it. I still see Morrie paralyzed & unable to move, but still happy & thinking about others. I saw the original story from Nightline. I love the part where Morrie talks about needing someone to "wipe my a**." The best part about this, they weren't trying to write a best seller. They just wanted to pay Morrie's medical expenses. Maybe that's why the book is so successful. It's real. ( )
  jmcgarry2011 | May 9, 2014 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:55 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible