Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (1997)

by Mitch Albom

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie: In His Own Words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (277)  Spanish (7)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (290)
I have read this book more than once, and I have seen the play a few times. I have always loved this story. I find it sad but uplifting at the same time. It's simply beautiful. ( )
  nicholthecat | Oct 13, 2018 |
This is a memoir but I can't help feeling the whole book's rather contrived. Nevertheless, the book did remind me of the need to keep in touch with my friends and motivated me to call up a close colleague the day after I finished it. ( )
  siok | Oct 7, 2018 |
A nicely written story with good insights of some of life's aspects. ( )
  artvandley | Sep 30, 2018 |
I must be a hard case as I did not get teary eyed or felt enlightened and renewed in purpose for life like so many apparently got from this book. I listened to it as a audiobook. The messages were simplistic to me, shun the material, embrace the human emotion. Of course if you have no material to begin with that may not resound with you.

We will all die, that is for sure, the one certainty in life. Some of us will go peacefully in our sleep some will go in agony as in the ALS sentence or other such grisly way. Morrie's sermons to Mitch are lessons we should all take note for sure. I will certainly keep them in mind, as I was aware and needed only a reminder. ( )
  knightlight777 | Sep 4, 2018 |
Mitch Albom was really crazy popular with this book for a while and he's since sort of faded into the distance. I think it had plenty to offer in the way of people thinking about the life they're leading and how they want to 'go out' or look back on it in their older years. It was good, but I think the hype surrounding it took over a bit. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.
“I believe in being fully present,” Morrie said. “That means you should be with the
person you’re with. When I’m talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on
what is going on between us. I am not thinking about something we said last week. I am
not thinking of what’s coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another
Koppel show, or about what medications I’m taking. I am talking to you. I am thinking about you.”

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,597,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible