Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (1997)

by Mitch Albom

A sportswriter conveys the wisdom of his late mentor, professor Morrie Schwartz, recounting their weekly conversations as Schwartz lay dying. Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class", lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, ahtwedt, pbaumann, AnnieCathryn, vallecruz123, LisaTimpf, Cricket856, juliarum
    The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie: In His Own Words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (292)  Spanish (8)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (309)
The most beautiful place in the world. ( )
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
why did my school insist on making us read all these lifetime books. UGH. i hate them all on principle now. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
Asks hard questions, makes you reassess what is important to you and whether what you're doing is what you should be. For this alone, read this book once a year.
Well-written but occasionally a little pompous. ( )
  Chiara_Quinn | Apr 13, 2020 |
A beautiful journey towards death by a uni professor and one of his students from years before. Sitting together each Tuesday to talk about the important things in life as Morrie's health and life leaks away. Lots to take from the lessons of a great teacher. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Apr 2, 2020 |
Interesting book that follows a man who goes back to visit a former college professor who is dying from ALS. Is very a touching book in how the professor never seems to get down even on his bad days and wishes to see the best in people ( )
  ChrisWeir | Mar 22, 2020 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

Mitch Albomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vaccaro, ClaireDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
To my brother, Peter,
The bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.
“I believe in being fully present,” Morrie said. “That means you should be with the person you’re with. When I’m talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on what is going on between us. I am not thinking about something we said last week. I am not thinking of what’s coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another Koppel show, or about what medications I’m taking. I am talking to you. I am thinking about you.”

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible