Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Mitch Albom

Member:monika868
Title:Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Anchor (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom (1997)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie: In His Own Words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (278)  Spanish (7)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (293)
A very moving and "real" book. I was truly and profoundly affected by many teachers and understand the love the author felt for the subject of the book. The professor was a model, an ideal. He was a man way before his time, or, is that stuff just cyclical? We need to heed the messages in this book, in my humble opinion, but it is hard to do if you are struggling to pay the utility bill or such. Glad I read it. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
(4) I read this for something related to work, but I am so glad I did. I remember this in real time in the late 1990's and the 'Nightline' episodes or at least I think I do. I think it first raised my awareness about ALS although I would have just become a doctor then. Anyway, Morrie was lovely. I can't get over the image of him dancing by himself with his eyes closed with a towel around his neck in nightclubs as an older man, alone. I can't shake the almost cartoonish sentimental idea of a little bird on your shoulder asking you "Is this the day that you die?" This book in many ways should seem too precious or twee, except that it doesn't. It just seems honest.

What struck me most is something that Morrie did not come up with and that I have been exposed to before - the Buddhist notion of indulging in an emotion or an experience fully in order to more easily detach from it. It is hard to get your mind around that concept - I have been exposed to the concept now enough times that it finally makes some sense to me - especially the way Morrie and Mitch presented it. You can only be truly happy if you are not too attached to anything; including life. Other things that the book impressed upon me: Mindfulness, intentionality with everything you do. The rejection of traditional accolades, accomplishments, possessions -- how liberating.

Anyway, on the surface, a small, quickly read, tear-jerker that is engagingly constructed but the book is almost like a spell - the unadorned prose seems simple and straightforward - but before you know it - you are changed, thinking and living just a bit happier and better. ( )
  jhowell | Jan 15, 2019 |
This book bored me. It's not that it's a bad book, I just found it boring. I felt like it was trying to be too deep and it over shot it a little. But I found it boring and it unremarkable. I read the whole book, and was involved in a few weeks of discussion on the book, but I am still just left with a nondescript feeling of boredom. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I have read this book more than once, and I have seen the play a few times. I have always loved this story. I find it sad but uplifting at the same time. It's simply beautiful. ( )
  nicholthecat | Oct 13, 2018 |
This is a memoir but I can't help feeling the whole book's rather contrived. Nevertheless, the book did remind me of the need to keep in touch with my friends and motivated me to call up a close colleague the day after I finished it. ( )
  siok | Oct 7, 2018 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.
“I believe in being fully present,” Morrie said. “That means you should be with the
person you’re with. When I’m talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on
what is going on between us. I am not thinking about something we said last week. I am
not thinking of what’s coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another
Koppel show, or about what medications I’m taking. I am talking to you. I am thinking about you.”

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible