Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Mitch Albom

Member:heggiep
Title:Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Doubleday (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Interviews, Philosophy

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom (1997)

Recently added bymsjudy, LTFL_UWCSEA, kayleewhite.texas, private library, Felicity-Smith, Saxon451

English (254)  Spanish (7)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (266)
A little schmaltzy, a lot cheesy, but somehow it's one of those books that I can't not love. I cried, I laughed, and took inspiration from Morrie's courage... ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
My neighbor, who is eighty-seven years old and an avid reader, is gifted with a large box, filled-to-overflowing with books, every month or so. I've had tuesdays with Morrie on my "to-read" list for years; sadly, as my list grows longer (and longer!), the books added years ago are dropping off! When the newly-arrived box o' books was opened, perched atop the stack was tuesdays with Morrie . . t'was a message - loud and clear!

Mitch Albom (an award winning author, journalist, screenwriter, dramatist, radio and television broadcaster and musician) documents his weekly meetings with his mentor, and former professor, Morrie Schwartz. Morrie was dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease); Mitch had reconnected after seeing Morrie being interviewed on national television. Albom's book documents Morrie's final days.

I fully expected to hold the book in one hand and a box of Kleenex in the other; that simply didn't happen. Yes, Morrie cried - often! I imagine that I will cry, often, when my time comes. Did his tears, his homilies and his aphorisms (his original thoughts were, for me, memorable) render this a "sappy" book? I think not! Morrie had a HUGE zest for life . . a life he would soon leave behind . . he was entitled to his tears! As for me, those aspects of the book often left me - a woman who has lived well over half of her life span - nodding my head in agreement . . and smiling!

Ted Koppel grew close to Morrie after interviewing him, numerous times, before his death. On November 22, 2005, Koppel stepped down from Nightline after 25 years with the program and left ABC after 42 years with the network. His final Nightline broadcast did not feature clips highlighting memorable interviews and famous moments from his time as host, as is typical when an anchor retires. Instead, the show replayed the highly acclaimed episode of Nightline with Koppel's 1995 interviews with retired Brandeis University sociology professor . . Morrie Schwartz.

After I finished the book, I watched those interviews . . touched to see Ted Koppel, the ever-stoic news commentator and journalist, enter Morrie's study to conduct one of their final interviews. The first order of business was, for Mr. Koppel, giving Morrie a heartfelt hug and a kiss on the cheek . . THAT made me cry.

I highly recommend this book.

idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Not my favourite, in fact I found Mitch hard to take at times, but nevertheless a recommended read. ( )
  junepearl | Mar 4, 2016 |
One of my first reads and everytime I feel a little off, this is the book that I aways come back to. ( )
  euniceangeli | Mar 3, 2016 |
An inspirational book about Morrie Schwartz, an old professor of Mitch Albom's. He found out he is dying from ALS and Mitch goes to visit him. This leads to regular visits every Tuesday where various life lessons are discussed.

jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,926,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible