Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Mitch Albom

Member:heggiep
Title:Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Doubleday (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Interviews, Philosophy

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom (1997)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie : in his own words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (261)  Spanish (7)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (274)
Audiobook performed by the author.
5***** and a ❤

The subtitle is the perfect synopsis: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life’s Greatest Lesson.

Morrie Schwartz had been a professor of sociology at Brandeis University. Mitch Albom had been his student. Despite promises to keep in touch, Mitch found that as his career took off, he had lost contact with Morrie. So he was stunned to see his old professor on Ted Koppel’s program one evening. Morrie was dying of ALS. Mitch hopped on a plane and went to visit his old mentor. It was a Tuesday, and he came back on successive Tuesdays to talk about life, living, dying, families, money, regret, emotion, forgiveness, and love.

Those discussions form the basic life lessons of this book. They are at once simple and profound. Obvious and hard to understand. Easy and difficult to really put into place.

Albom narrates the audio book himself, and he does a fabulous job. I don’t know how he managed to read this without breaking down, because I was certainly in tears just listening. As a bonus, at the end of the book one of the tape recordings Mitch made of his discussions with Morrie is played, and the reader can hear Morrie Schwartz himself imparting his words of wisdom.

This little book packs an emotional wallop. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 25, 2016 |
As a college student, Mitch Albom grew close to one of his professors, a man named Morrie Schwartz. Although he promises to keep in touch at graduation, Albom doesn't reconnect with his teacher until many years later, when he catches sight of him one evening while flipping channels on his TV. Albom realizes Schwartz is dying, and finally calls him. He begins to visit Schwartz weekly, on Tuesdays, crafting a final thesis on how to live a good life. In this warm memoir, Albom presents the lessons he learned in the final months of the life of Morrie Schwartz.

Schwartz is learning how to die, and through his growing awareness teaching Albom how to live. This is a feel-good book full of simple observations about life. Love one another. Don't get caught up in the rat race. Spend time on crafting relationships, not collecting things. None of these lessons is revolutionary or new, but great pains are taken to distill the ideas into simple words and easy to understand paragraphs. Freed from ties to a particular religion or system of beliefs, the lessons are universal.

I guess I'm not a very sentimental person. I know that Morrie Schwartz was a wise man, and the words Albom recorded are full of great wisdom. But inspirational, feel-good books don't interest me, and Schwartz's sentiments echo what I hear in church or read in books on Christian living. Indeed, the book is so brief that he is unable to go into any sort of depth on each topic, so actually acting on his suggestions will require greater meditation or seeking out another book.

This is one of those books that I think will live on for years as a graduation gift, the sort of reliable tome like The Giving Tree and Oh, the Places You'll Go! one pulls out when a relative finishes high school and a gift must be given. You read it, you feel good, you move on. ( )
  makaiju | Jul 20, 2016 |
Mitch
  StPaulsChurch | Jul 19, 2016 |
Amazing! ( )
  bpeters65 | Jul 16, 2016 |
5 things to have in life

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago.
  christinejoseph | Jun 23, 2016 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible