Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young…

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Mitch Albom

Member:heggiep
Title:Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Doubleday (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Interviews, Philosophy

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom (1997)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie : in his own words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (258)  Spanish (7)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (270)
5 things to have in life

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago.
  christinejoseph | Jun 23, 2016 |
Also reviewed here: http://porcelainulairi.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/review-tuesdays-with-morrie/

This is the story of a dying old man and his thoughts on life as he tells it to Mitch. If you couldn’t tell by the name, this is a true story. Mitch was once a model student, and he liked to think he modeled himself after his favorite teacher, Morrie. When he graduated, he promised to keep in touch, but eventually life caught up to him and they never spoke. Then one day, while surfing channels on the television, he stumbles across a story about Morrie. He’s dying. Mitch flies out to see him, and then spends every Tuesday helping to write their “final thesis.” They talk about everything, from the best day to marriage. I think it goes without saying that Morrie passes away, but Mitch learns everything he wanted to know about life and death.

I am sort of a softie. So I guess it goes without saying that I teared up a little. Morrie is a very sweet old man, and in some ways he reminded me of my own grandfather, whom I lost five years ago.

There are some great ideas in this book. Don’t dwell on the little things. Enjoy family and friends. Live life to the fullest. Don’t fear death. While I found some of them improbable for this day and age, the moral stands true. For instance, Morrie often tells Mitch that he spends too much time working and dwelling on keeping up with the Jones-es. It’s true that many of us are too concerned with material things, but he seemed to give Mitch too hard of a time. While Morrie is sitting on his death bed, he can see what is truly important in life. For those that are still living, and may live for a long time, we need to be concerned with having enough money to survive. I can see it both ways.

This book is similar in many ways to Albom’s other novel, The Five People You Met in Heaven. I liked that one as well, but it tends to get a little preachy. In the end, Tuesdays With Morrie is a touching story. I recommend picking it up. It is a very quick read at around 200 pages. It is very sweet, but be prepared to be a little sad at the ending. ( )
  Ulairi | Jun 16, 2016 |
One of my favourite reads from school.
It was really touching and eye-opening - I'd definitely read it again. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Jun 8, 2016 |
FINALLY got around to reading this one over the last couple of days. It was a fair book, although I found "The End of Your Life Book Club" to be a better story of companionship and dying. Not a lot of great truths in this one that we don't already know, but Morrie was certainly an admirable and hardy spirit. ( )
  glade1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book, I fell in love with Morrie. I found it incredibly moving, especially the last few pages that deal with Mitch's last visit to Morrie and his death. ( )
1 vote KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

This book is dedicated to my brother, Peter, the bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790592X, Paperback)

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible