The Immaculate by Mark Morris

The Immaculate (1992)

by Mark Morris

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but the cover of a book is the very thing that grabs my attention, which gets me to turn the book over to the blurb on the back. I liked the blurb on the back, but the story itself disappointed me. There were chilling parts that I DID like, but there weren't enough of them for me, and some of the character's actions were downright wimpy (for lack of a better word.) Then there's another character who's so mean and vile, but I don't think it's ever revealed WHY? Then there's the ending. It's a twist I didn't see coming, but once revealed, it left a bad taste in my mouth. ( )
  MrsLara | Aug 24, 2009 |
The book is about a writer who returns to his hometown after his abusive father passed away. When he starts having bad dreams and hears his father's voice through the phone I just knew it was going to be THAT kind of story.

I was wrong.

I couldn't for the life off me have expected where this story'd wind up. I won't spoil it for you, but it was brilliant, and much more mature than similar efforts from someone like Herbert, who always likes to have the blood and guts flying. You wont find that in this novel.

this doesn't go for the gross-out, but it's good supernatural horror, with strong psychological and social overtones.
  tanthonyam | Mar 27, 2007 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible