The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

The House at Riverton (2006)

by Kate Morton

3,7472031,389 (3.86)303
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (mrstreme)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (Littlemissmops, starfishian)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (mrstreme)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (OneMorePage)
    The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies (mrstreme)
    Death in the Garden by Elizabeth Ironside (chilirlw)
    Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (shelfoflisa)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: There is a passage in The Shifting Fog which describes the relationship between Hannah and Emmeline as a "string that bends, it will eventually snap and the points will separate; if elastic, they will continue to part, further and further, until the strain reaches its limits and they are pulled back with such speed that they cannot help but collide with devastating force." In The Dark-Adapted Eye, the sisters are Vera and Eden whose inexplicably interdependent-but-destructive relationship embody the aforementioned elastic string. The story is told from the perspective of their niece who accompanies the reader on the events leading up to the devastation.… (more)

English (189)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (203)
As with other Kate Morton novels I found the repeated shift in time a little difficult to follow at first but once I was familiar with all the characters and the flow of the changes I loved the story. Lots of twists and turns that kept me turning the pages, and as usual a surprise ending. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
An interesting mystery that I think descends into a tawdry romance and then triangle; the ending is perhaps a little hard to believe. But has rather the enjoyable Morton themes of darkness, fog, gothic blending of shadows. Not her best but still pretty good. Also as always with audiobooks I must commend the reader who does an excellent job with the various accents of the characters making the story come alive. ( )
  charlie68 | Apr 3, 2016 |
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton; (3*)

I enjoyed this one a bit more than The Lake House as I was able to follow the characters more easily & thus keep my head in the story. The more I read of Morton's work, the more I find that her 'houses' & gardens become characters of the books in their own right. I quite like that. ( )
  rainpebble | Mar 16, 2016 |
I liked this better than The Forgotten Garden. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
What to day and which rating to give?
I did enjoy reading this book but did not like the little bits we got about Grace her life as it was now. As someone else mentioned, if she wanted to do that, give us more about how Grace transformed from a maid who loved to serve, to a very independent woman.

The story was told very slowly but this author has such an interesting way of telling it, I enjoyed it.
It felt annoying that both 2 main characters were very accepting of what happened to them in their lives. Not the right word, submissive is better. Like Hannah who lets Deborah rule her life, and Grace who chooses for Hannah to rule hers in a way.
3.5 ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible