Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

The House at Riverton (2006)

by Kate Morton

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (mrstreme)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (Littlemissmops, starfishian)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (mrstreme)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (OneMorePage)
    The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies (mrstreme)
    Death in the Garden by Elizabeth Ironside (chilirlw)
    Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (shelfoflisa)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: There is a passage in The Shifting Fog which describes the relationship between Hannah and Emmeline as a "string that bends, it will eventually snap and the points will separate; if elastic, they will continue to part, further and further, until the strain reaches its limits and they are pulled back with such speed that they cannot help but collide with devastating force." In The Dark-Adapted Eye, the sisters are Vera and Eden whose inexplicably interdependent-but-destructive relationship embody the aforementioned elastic string. The story is told from the perspective of their niece who accompanies the reader on the events leading up to the devastation.… (more)

English (213)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (228)
Despite its length, it was actually a very quick read -- it moves at a nice pace and the level of detail (especially about the time period) is perfect. Sometimes novels in this space get bogged down with that -- as though the author wants to prove how much research they did at the expense of the story. I thought this was really balanced. This is her debut novel, and I liked it much, much more than I liked [The Distant Hours] when I read it a few years back. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Apr 2, 2019 |
This is the story of a maid (Grace) who served a British aristocratic family for many years. The story is told by the maid because a young filmmaker contacts her because she is making a film about the house and the family. The maid starts recording her memories of serving the family because her grandson, Marcus who has lost his wife/finace is traveling and she wants to tell him her story before she dies. The writing is superb, good character development and good editing. This is only the second book I have read by this author but have enjoyed both books I have read by her so much I will be reading more of her books. Highly recommend this book and author. ( )
  CrystalToller | Mar 5, 2019 |
I had previously read one of Morton's books that I liked, the others I attempted to read I put down, I wish I had put this one down as well, but I wanted to know the outcome.

Although I liked the premise of the story and found the plot interesting, I also found it tedious & drawn out.... I really didn't feel drawn or connected to the characters...

Grace was once the maid in a Great House... she became a "friend" of the oldest sister & as they grew up they shared each other's secrets.

A film company has come to make the movie of what happened the night the two sisters were found by the lake next to the body of a young man who had apparently committed suicide.... Grace being the last living person who knows the truth of what happened that night. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 5, 2019 |
If you are a fan of Downton Abbey or Upstairs Downstairs, then this is the book for you. It's the story of Grace Bradley, who at the age of 14 goes to Riverton to start her employment as a housemaid. I love the way that is it written by Kate Morton, dabbling in the present day of 99 year old Grace and going back to a forgotten time of pre WWI. She masterfully weaves her characters personalities, some of the stories outcomes are predictable, yet others are delightfully surprising. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to starting The Forgotten Garden which I hear is even better. I wish that Kate Morton would write a second book about Grace and her life from WWII on. I'd recommend this one for an enjoyable read. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
I love her books but I had a little harder of a time getting into this one, especially at first.

I love how mysteries and secrets slowly unfold in her books.

Grace has a part in a rather infamous moment in history. A famous poet shot himself while in the company of the family she worked for.

Grace knew way more about what really happened than she could ever let on.

In the present day, Grace's story and the truth of what happened begin to slowly unfold.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Breuer, CharlotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible