The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

The House at Riverton (2006)

by Kate Morton

Recently added byNatsirema, mgPaul, private library, Grumpasaurus, Havelock.Library, MaraBlaise
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (mrstreme)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (Littlemissmops, starfishian)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (mrstreme)
    Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (shelfoflisa)
    The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies (mrstreme)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (OneMorePage)
    Death in the Garden by Elizabeth Ironside (chilirlw)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: There is a passage in The Shifting Fog which describes the relationship between Hannah and Emmeline as a "string that bends, it will eventually snap and the points will separate; if elastic, they will continue to part, further and further, until the strain reaches its limits and they are pulled back with such speed that they cannot help but collide with devastating force." In The Dark-Adapted Eye, the sisters are Vera and Eden whose inexplicably interdependent-but-destructive relationship embody the aforementioned elastic string. The story is told from the perspective of their niece who accompanies the reader on the events leading up to the devastation.… (more)

English (167)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (180)
Solid historical with a satisfying ending.
  SusanBNM | Nov 23, 2014 |
A solid book which picked up its pace and characterisation at the last third of the book. I enjoyed the use of Grace as the narrator/witness to the unfolding events but I would have preferred her involvements/connections to be more detached and for the story to not focus on her later achievements/family - Ruth, Marcus, why bother? Although Alfred was a sweet touch - as they all seemed so redundant and pulled away from the atmosphere of the story (half a star off).However, I cannot begrudge portrayals of women who are interested in furthering their education.

The device of having a movie being made in 1999 based on the events of 1924 seemed unnecessary - what was the point of Ursula, really - , but that's because I don't enjoy having screenplays cutting up the flow of stories, much less as an opener (newspaper clippings and letters, however, are fine for some reason) (half a star off). The first half of the book was spent on building up the supposed special bond - The Game is a big "signifier" of this but it didn't sound like it was anything other than make-believes that children have been doing for ages, but it was supposed to be more special here somehow because of the special rules? - between the siblings and their personalities which took too long and was not so convincing. (a star off)

There were a few sections where the reveal of the twists were a bit too heavy-handed, for example when Grace spends a few pages having a stream of consciousness and figures out who her father is all the time while being proposed to and other times, unnecessary, for example Ursula is Hannah's descendant which did not really justify the necessity of her place in the book (half a star off). I did however like the role of shorthand.

Lest it be thought that I did not like the book, the last third and especially the last hundred pages really made up the the rest. I may be a little unfavourable towards the book as all throughout, I was comparing it to [A Dark-Adapted Eye] which kept the cast of characters more compact and more relevantly and I was more convinced of the "special bond" between the sisters. ( )
  kitzyl | Sep 18, 2014 |
The House at Riverton is narrated by Grace, a former servant of the long established home, but the story is really about two sisters, Hannah and Emmeline, and the aristocratic way of life that is vanishing following World War I. Grace is the same age as Hannah and meets the girls, along with their brother David, during their visits to their grandparents at Riverton Manor. Told in two time periods, the reader is first introduced to the elderly Grace, living out her last days in a nursing home. When she is contacted by a film directer creating a movie about the sisters and a mysterious death that occurred at Riverton, the secrets she has kept all her life rise to the surface and she feels the need to release the burden of the truth before her time ends. Read my full review at http://thekeytothegate.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-house-at-riverton-by-kate-morton... ( )
  rebeccaskey | Jul 7, 2014 |
This was the never ending book. It went on and on. although I enjoyed the description of life in the house at the turn of the century, the pure length of the book was excruciating. I listened to it - all. About a woman that falls in love with her brother's friend and how all those events unfold. ( )
  csobolak | Jun 30, 2014 |
This was fun. An absorbing read - part historical fiction, part mystery, party romance. It's a familiar format to me. It's constructed from the point of view of a woman in present time dying and looking back on her life as a servant to an old English family during and after WWI. It's mainly just an absorbing story, but Morton does touch on some deeper themes of the shell shock that the men in WWI dealt with upon returning home.

Overall, this was fun and enjoyable - a good diversion. I'll look for more of Morton's work when I want an easy to read, absorbing book. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 8, 2014 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible