The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton

The Shifting Fog (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Kate Morton

3,8642061,335 (3.85)309
Member:boabflower
Title:The Shifting Fog
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Allen & Unwin (2007), Edition: First Thus, Print on Demand (Paperback), 551 pages
Rating:***

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (2006)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (mrstreme)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (Littlemissmops, starfishian)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (mrstreme)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (OneMorePage)
    The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies (mrstreme)
    Death in the Garden by Elizabeth Ironside (chilirlw)
    Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (shelfoflisa)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: There is a passage in The Shifting Fog which describes the relationship between Hannah and Emmeline as a "string that bends, it will eventually snap and the points will separate; if elastic, they will continue to part, further and further, until the strain reaches its limits and they are pulled back with such speed that they cannot help but collide with devastating force." In The Dark-Adapted Eye, the sisters are Vera and Eden whose inexplicably interdependent-but-destructive relationship embody the aforementioned elastic string. The story is told from the perspective of their niece who accompanies the reader on the events leading up to the devastation.… (more)

English (192)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (206)
Kate Morton "weaves" stories and pulls you in! This is my 2nd Morton book and her writing is magical. A must read! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Kate Morton weaves an atmospheric WW1 tale of the secrets of a former housemaid and the secrets of those who employed her, and the price paid for keeping those secrets. The story is told in flashback, as the woman is now old and close to dying. I love these glimpses into what life was like living in a very structured class system. I only wish that the narrator would have questioned certain circumstances and events that happened to her, and that she have been a little more assertive overall..............but then that would have been a completely different novel.

This book follows a similar storyline to the BBC miniseries Downton Abbey (I saw the series before I read this novel). Characters in the novel will remind you of characters in the tv series.

I read The Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton's second book, prior to reading this. Ususally second books are weaker than the first, but I found The Forgotten Garden to be a much stronger book. Having said that, I did enjoy this book and I will definitely read more of Kate Morton's work in the future.

Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
Told in the style of Jane Eyre or Rebecca, Kate Morton writes a suspenseful story set in Edwardian England on the eve of the First World War. The House at Riverton focuses on the narrator Grace Bradley, who is nearing her death and decides to record a audio tape for her grandson Marcus telling him the time when she served as a lady's maid to the young Miss Hartfords at the Riverton Manor andtthe events that lead to the mysterious death of the young poet who was involved with the Hartford family. Her writing is beautiful and whimsical. She weaves together the past and the present. More specifically, how events in the past have consequences in the future. I loved the time period this story was set in and the characters, especially the women were compelling. ( )
  Clair_de_Lune023 | May 3, 2016 |
As with other Kate Morton novels I found the repeated shift in time a little difficult to follow at first but once I was familiar with all the characters and the flow of the changes I loved the story. Lots of twists and turns that kept me turning the pages, and as usual a surprise ending. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
An interesting mystery that I think descends into a tawdry romance and then triangle; the ending is perhaps a little hard to believe. But has rather the enjoyable Morton themes of darkness, fog, gothic blending of shadows. Not her best but still pretty good. Also as always with audiobooks I must commend the reader who does an excellent job with the various accents of the characters making the story come alive. ( )
  charlie68 | Apr 3, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,199,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible