The House at Riverton: A Novel by Kate…

The House at Riverton: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate Morton

Info:Washington Square Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 473 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:gothic novel, fiction, England, WWI, ebook

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (2006)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (mrstreme)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (Littlemissmops, starfishian)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (mrstreme)
    The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies (mrstreme)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (OneMorePage)
    Death in the Garden by Elizabeth Ironside (chilirlw)
    Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (shelfoflisa)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: There is a passage in The Shifting Fog which describes the relationship between Hannah and Emmeline as a "string that bends, it will eventually snap and the points will separate; if elastic, they will continue to part, further and further, until the strain reaches its limits and they are pulled back with such speed that they cannot help but collide with devastating force." In The Dark-Adapted Eye, the sisters are Vera and Eden whose inexplicably interdependent-but-destructive relationship embody the aforementioned elastic string. The story is told from the perspective of their niece who accompanies the reader on the events leading up to the devastation.… (more)

English (183)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (197)
F2F Oct selection (2012)

For decades, Grace Reeves has held the truth of a poet's violent death by the lake at Riverton House.
Approached for an upcoming film's accuracy, Grace relives her adult life as a house maid to the family.
We follow the Hartford family in a suspenseful tale of war, financial failing, love (licit and otherwise) etc.

Skillfully written, intriguing characters..... ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 31, 2016 |
F2F Oct selection

Skillfully written, intriguing characters..... ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 26, 2016 |
I did like the book. It is the second I have read by this author, both of which are meaty multigenerational stories where the past haunts the present and future through memories. I think because I read both lengthy books close together, I felt this dragged in places, but not sure I would have felt the same if I had taken a longer break between them. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I got swept up in the mood of this book; it brought back half-forgotten memories of Upstairs, Downstairs and simillar stories. I enjoyed the writing, the characters, the story, everything about it. It's a beautiful portrait of a time and way of life not-so-long gone. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible