The House at Riverton: A Novel by Kate…

The House at Riverton: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate Morton

Info:Washington Square Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 473 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:gothic novel, fiction, England, WWI, ebook

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (2006)

1920s (40) 2008 (16) 2009 (21) 2012 (20) ARC (16) British (17) ebook (14) Edwardian (29) England (146) family (33) family secrets (31) fiction (361) gothic (32) historical (54) historical fiction (181) history (16) Kindle (17) library (20) mystery (122) novel (27) own (22) read (44) read in 2008 (21) read in 2011 (14) romance (30) secrets (30) servants (52) sisters (22) to-read (96) WWI (75)

English (162)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (175)
While it’s no secret that I am obsessed with Kate Morton, I had some reservations going into this one. Most reviews that I’ve read have stated that they didn’t quite like Morton’s first novel as much as her later ones. Now, maybe it was the fact that I had gone into this with some doubt, but I found this novel to be highly engaging, haunting, and very well written. Truth be told, I liked it more than The Forgotten Garden, and about the same as The Secret Keeper. I have still yet to read The Distant Hours, so it remains to be seen whether this may become my favorite of Morton’s works.

My Full Review Here ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
Hmm...not sure how to write this one up. I feel disloyal to Morton, one of my favorite authors, by saying that I was disappointed in this one. However, I also must give myself a little relief by noting that this was her first work and, had I not already read her second and third, I wouldn't be holding her to such a high standard. On the other hand, it is VERY difficult to surprise me as I'm one of those discerning ones who figures the entire story out just by reading the back cover.

I pretty much had this one figured out before I'd gotten a quarter of the way into it. Granted, there were a few particulars that I hadn't quite picked up on, and I was wrong about a couple small details, but, for the most part, I was spot on.

The reason why I'm frustrated, I think, is because I can't decide which part of the story Morton meant to be the "clencher". Several "secrets" were subtly brought out, others were firmly "revealed", but none was a knock you out of your chair sort of surprise.

Still, I love this genre, and Morton is exceptional, so I'm glad I read it and I'll gladly add it to my permanent collection. ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Feb 25, 2014 |
A story of a family during WWI and the years following, told primarily through the eyes of a woman who was originally a housemaid. Nicely done, interesting read.

A Bookcrossing book: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8513975/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
4.5 stars

Grace is 99 years old and there is going to be a movie made about some events at the house she worked at when she was young. She was 14-years old in 1914 when she was sent to live at Riverton as a domestic, the same place her mother had served before Grace was born. At Riverton, she became "close" to the young sisters Hannah (also 14) and Emmeline (10), at least as close as a servant might come to the people she serves. As they grew up together, there are plenty of secrets to be uncovered.

I really liked this. The first half was mostly set-up with some hints thrown in, but it really picked up in the second half of the book. I don't think I liked it quite as much as The Forgotten Garden, but I liked it more than The Distant Hours. This will make my favourites list this year. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
The House at Riverton reminded me of Downton Abbey. Kate Morton has a gift for telling engaging historical stories and for bringing past worlds to life, even if her books seem to run a little long. Definitely worth a listen. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Jiménez, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Davin, who holds my hand on the roller-coaster
Last November I had a nightmare.
Originally published in Australia as "The Shifting Fog." Name changed to "The House at Riverton" for publication in the UK and US.

A story of love, mystery, and a secret history revealed. Summer 1924. On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999. Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories-long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind-begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.
Secrets aplenty
In the house at Riverton.
All will be revealed.
(passion4reading)

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline. In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they--and Grace--know the truth. In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young director who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible