The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff

The Hound of Rowan (2007)

by Henry H. Neff

4972920,537 (3.65)2 / 13
Recently added byminderz95, amellus, private library, Schnee-Eule, greensled, HeatherLINC, Rose.Wallin

English (27)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
This book never really grabbed my attention. I found Max to be an unworthy protagonist, not only did he deceive his father but he had quite a temper and was extremely immature and irritating. However, I did like Max's room mate, David. He was by far a much more interesting and likable character. Will not bother with any more books in this series. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Apesar das eventuais parecenças a Harry Potter, devido ao colégio de Rowan, tudo o resto é inovador e muitíssimo interessante.
A história acompanha um rapaz, Max, que descobre que consegue ver coisas que aparentemente parecem não existir, mas que estão ligadas à utilização das energias humanas. Ele é então recrutado por uma escola após realizar um conjunto de testes para avaliar o seu potencial.
A entrada na escola de Rowan tem muitas semelhanças com o universo Harry Potter, com o sniffing ritual pela Bruxa de serviço à cozinha e a criação dos quartos (das mais interessantes ideias que já li até hoje).
Na escola ele confronta-se com desaparecimentos de crianças potenciais que estão ligadas a uma luta antiga entre o bem e o mal e a uma figura central maléfica, chamada Astaroth, que os seus súbditos tentam trazer à vida.
Vale muito a pena ler, em especial para quem gostou do universo Harry Potter ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
An inventive, often surprisingly dark take on the "Magic Boarding School" genre. The plot was somewhat muddy and lacked a strong through-line, and suffered from a generic bully and a shadowy villain revealed too late in the book. Still, I enjoyed it enough to seek out the sequels. ( )
  MadameWho | Nov 3, 2014 |
For my family, friends, and students
Max McDaniels pressed his forehead against the train window and watched storm clouds race across the yellow sky.

MAX MCDANIELS LIVES a quiet life in the suburbs of Chicago until the day he stumbles upon a mysterious Celtic tapestry. Many strange people are interested in Max and his tapestry, and his discovery will lead him to Rowan Academy, a secret school where great things await him.

But dark things are waiting, too. When Max learns that priceless artworks and other gifted children are disappearing from around the globe, he finds himself in the crossfire of an ancient struggle between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:26 -0400)

After glimpsing a hint of his destiny in a mysterious tapestry, twelve-year-old Max McDaniels becomes a student at Rowan Academy, where he trains in "mystics and combat" in preparation for war with an ancient enemy that has been kidnapping children like him.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible