The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey

The Big Bamboo (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Tim Dorsey

Member:DrLed
Title:The Big Bamboo
Authors:Tim Dorsey
Info:Harper (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 381 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery-Crime

The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey (2006)

One of the very few books that made me laugh out loud. Probably because I listened to it and the reader was fantastic. ( )
  andsoitgoes | May 4, 2012 |
I think this is the weakest of this series so far, largely because it strays from Florida. California, especially Hollywood, is understood to be full of crazy people, but part of the charm of these books is the way Dorsey pulls real Florida characters and scenes and spins their internal craziness out into the "real world." I also felt that the plot depended way too much on Serge moving toward a single goal for way, way too long. He has the general attention span of a gnat, and while he does show some of his usual ping-pong behavior here, it is all while participating in a complicated interaction with lots of characters. While there is no doubt that Serge is smart enough and creative enough to pull this off, he would also change his mind and start an equally complex scheme to take over the world sun screen market after about four hours.

That said, and even that much of the plot isn't obvious until the last few pages of the novel, it's a wild, fun ride, and Serge is a homicidal hoot. ( )
  teckelvik | Apr 12, 2009 |
This was terrible. No two ways about it. The plot sounded interesting, and could have been very good. But the dialogue was atrocious with lines like "You just murdered the famous actress Alley Street" or "Look there's boy band heartthrob Jason Geddy" . And with "current" celebrity references to Cher and Cindy Crawford, along with swipes at tourists and their "instamatics", and you can see this is cutting edge stuff. I gave up before I got to the Bernie Getz and Ronald Regan jokes. ( )
  erikschreppel | Dec 30, 2008 |
Serge and Coleman do Hollywood (California). Although Serge doesn't temper his high octane madness in this visit to the other, and Serge might say lesser, Hollywood, it is almost subsumed by the inherent local insanity. In Los Angeles Serge almost isn't the craziest one in town. He still finds inventive ways to murder the opposition, and manages to outwit those he doesn't kill. He temporarily transfers his obsession with Florida history to Hollywood and the film industry. But in the end, Serge just doesn't seem like Serge outside of his Florida. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jan 7, 2008 |
Not really my cup of tea. Trods the same ground as Carl Hiaasen, only not as well. Serge and his drug addict buddy travel to California from their native Florida, meet up with redneck and Japanese Mafia-types, shaft a movie studio. I will say I absolutely hated this book at page 100 but that it did grow on me a bit by page 200 or so. The plot was very thin on the ground, but the humor worked enough to keep me turning the pages. Would I read another of Dorsey's novels? Maybe, but I'd have to be in the right mood, and I expet to do so no time soon. ( )
  worldsedge | Aug 29, 2006 |

Tim Dorseyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, George K.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No one goes Hollywood--they were that way before they came here. Hollywood just exposed it.

--Ronald Reagan
For Lawrence McConnell
You think this is a game?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060585633, Mass Market Paperback)

His marriage plans fizzled, so Floridaphile serial killer Serge A. Storms is on a new mission: to convince the West Coast movie industry bigwigs to do their business in his beloved Sunshine State. So it's off to Tinseltown with his substance-sustained sidekick, Coleman—to schmooze with craven cokehead producers and visiting Yakuza, who are wrestling to salvage the most disastrous big-budget stinkeroo in the history of celluloid . . . and to radically reduce the rampaging population of true Hollywood slimeballs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:10 -0400)

Putting his failure to find everlasting life behind him, loveable serial killer Serge Storms and his stoned-out sidekick Coleman head west in order to put the Sunshine State back on Hollywood's radar.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible