George Washington: A Picture Book Biography…

George Washington: A Picture Book Biography (edition 1998)

by James Cross Giblin (Author)

Examines the family life and career of the first American president, also discussing myths and legends, monuments to Washington, and Mount Vernon.
Member:christie311
Title:George Washington: A Picture Book Biography
Authors:James Cross Giblin (Author)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1998), 48 pages

George Washington: A Picture Book Biography by James Cross Giblin

jB
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
I would use this book as a read aloud for a third grade classroom because it will be a great introduction for students to learn about the history of America. I will have the students participate in a class time line where they will identify the main events from the story and write them correctly along with a brief explanation as to why these events were important. I would also have the students take part in a readers theater where they will write their own script about one of the events they have listed on the class time line. This activity will help the students practice their fluency and understand more about what the people during these events could have been feeling. I would also assign this book as an independent read for fourth graders because it matches their reading level and they will be able to comprehend the importance of these events. I would have them select two characters from the story and create a t-chart that will include information about both of these characters. They will need to provide specific details about these individuals and may need to conduct their own research. Once all the research from the book and own research, they will begin to make connections between the two individuals they have selected. Each student will write a paragraph using specific details and examples that show how, why, and when these individuals met. Then the students will share with the class who they researched and explain why this connection was important and how it effected events. I would also use this book as a read aloud for a fifth grade class because I want to emphasis the different forms of government that are presented in the book. I would have the students focusing on the differences between the government that the United States wanted and the government that England colonies were currently under. Then I would go into a lesson that discussed the different branches of government and why our system is the way it is. This activity will allow the students to further understand how our government works and can be given example problems that will help students identify what branch of government it will fall in. ( )
  Jbrochu | Mar 30, 2017 |
detailed description and life of George Washington and his childhood. for older children.
1 book
  TUCC | Oct 10, 2016 |
Here is George Washington's story. Beginning with his childhood in a large, close-nit family on a Virginia farm, we follow him through his life. There is a tragedy with the death of his father, then his adored half-brother. After he grew up, George joined the Virginia militia and fought bravely in the wild Ohio country. Returning to Mount Vernon, he met and married the widow Martha Custis. But soon there came a new call to duty.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
Summary: George Washington was our nation’s first president. George grew up on a farm in Virginia. He attended school, was athletic, and even struggled with his lessons. When George was a young adult he joined the Virginia militia and fought in Ohio. When he returned to his home in Mount Vernon he married Martha Custis. They had no children together, but Martha had two children that George loved as his own. George became the commander in chief of the Continental Army. George led America to its independence and became the first president of the new nation.
Personal reaction: George Washington has always been one of my favorite historical figures. This book is perfect for any kid to read and the pictures depict the main points of George’s life very well. The paintings are beautiful and have great detail in them.
Extension ideas:
1.You could have the children make a timeline of George’s life.
2.You could read this book to the class around or on President’s Day.
  Alicia917934 | Jul 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,708,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible