Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

Alexander Hamilton

by Ron Chernow

2,294None2,781 (4.26)86

Ron Chernow is the master architect when building biographies. His reconstruction of Alexander Hamilton's life is as detailed as it is complete. Chernow had plenty to work with as Hamilton's early years were as rich with intrigue as his later political years. But, Chernow doesn't stop there. Besides given a thorough snapshot of the political and historical times, he dips into the biographies of the influential people around Hamilton as well: John Adams, George Clinton, Elizabeth Schuyler, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and of course, Aaron Burr, to name a few. As an aside, I was surprised to learn that Hamilton enjoyed settling disputes with duels. He was quick to suggest them, enough so that his encounter with Burr was not the first, but definitely his last. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Feb 25, 2014 |
180 people have already said this book rocks...: I am #181. This biography blew me away. Athough the duel and outcome were not a surprise to say the least (I live in Weehawken, for one), I found myself crying my eyes out for Hamilton in the end. Add a half a star to the 5 if you've been a New Yorker -- because your enjoyment will be that much greater.

My only problem was not with Chernow -- it was that the print was small and the huge paperback unwieldly. As I read this while pregnant, I found reading this particular book physically challenging and would take breaks with other books. But as the book was amazing and I vowed I'd finish it before I launched, I reached the finish line in month 9.

Hurrah for Hamilton and Chernow!
  mugwump2 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Alexander Hamilton is my favorite founding father--if he weren't, I might not have found this book as fascinating as I did. Though this book is very long, it managed to keep my interest. I loved the sections on his early life best. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
This biography took me well over a year to read, but I kept returning because it was just that good. All of our governmental and financial institutions can find their origins in the mind of Alexander Hamilton. Ron Chernow did an excellent job showing Hamilton's brilliance and also the narcissism that ended with his inability to avoid the duel with Aaron Burr. And if you think politics is rough and dirty now you should review how our "founding fathers" tried to destroy each other. ( )
  Joanne53 | Oct 22, 2013 |
Phenomenal! Start reading it today. In our collective American memory this man deserves a much better reputation than he has. And it's sad that he's mostly known for having been shot by Aaron Burr. His contribution to our country far surpasses that of Jefferson. ( )
  sergerca | Oct 6, 2013 |
To Valerie, best of wives and best of women.
In the early 1850s, few pedestrians strolling past the house on H Street in Washington, near the White House, realized that the ancient widow seated by the window, knitting and arranging, was the last surviving link to the glory days of the republic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143034758, Paperback)

Building on biographies by Richard Brookhiser and Willard Sterne Randall, Ron Chernow’s Alexander Hamilton provides what may be the most comprehensive modern examination of the often overlooked Founding Father. From the start, Chernow argues that Hamilton’s premature death at age 49 left his record to be reinterpreted and even re-written by his more long-lived enemies, among them: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and James Monroe. Hamilton’s achievements as first Secretary of the Treasury, co-author of The Federalist Papers, and member of the Constitutional Convention were clouded after his death by strident claims that he was an arrogant, self-serving monarchist. Chernow delves into the almost 22,000 pages of letters, manuscripts, and articles that make up Hamilton’s legacy to reveal a man with a sophisticated intellect, a romantic spirit, and a late-blooming religiosity.

One fault of the book, is that Chernow is so convinced of Hamilton’s excellence that his narrative sometimes becomes hagiographic. Nowhere is this more apparent than in Chernow’s account of the infamous duel between Hamilton and Aaron Burr in 1804. He describes Hamilton’s final hours as pious, while Burr, Jefferson, and Adams achieve an almost cartoonish villainy at the news of Hamilton’s passing.

A defender of the union against New England secession and an opponent of slavery, Hamilton has a special appeal to modern sensibilities. Chernow argues that in contrast to Jefferson and Washington’s now outmoded agrarian idealism, Hamilton was "the prophet of the capitalist revolution" and the true forebear of modern America. In his Prologue, he writes: "In all probability, Alexander Hamilton is the foremost figure in American history who never attained the presidency, yet he probably had a much deeper and more lasting impact than many who did." With Alexander Hamilton, this impact can now be more widely appreciated. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:18 -0400)

Publisher's description: In the first full-length biography of Alexander Hamilton in decades, National Book Award winner Ron Chernow tells the riveting story of a man who overcame all odds to shape, inspire, and scandalize the newborn America. According to historian Joseph Ellis, Alexander Hamilton is "a robust full-length portrait, in my view the best ever written, of the most brilliant, charismatic and dangerous founder of them all." Few figures in American history. have been more hotly debated or more grossly misunderstood than Alexander Hamilton. Chernow's biography gives Hamilton his due and sets the record straight, deftly illustrating that the political and economic greatness of today's America is the result of Hamilton's countless sacrifices to champion ideas that were often wildly disputed during his time. "To repudiate his legacy," Chernow writes, "is, in many ways, to repudiate the modern world." Chernow here recounts. Hamilton's turbulent life: an illegitimate, largely self-taught orphan from the Caribbean, he came out of nowhere to take America by storm, rising to become George Washington's aide-de-camp in the Continental Army, coauthoring The Federalist Papers, founding the Bank of New York, leading the Federalist Party, and becoming the first Treasury Secretary of the United States. Historians have long told the story of America's birth as the triumph of Jefferson's democratic. ideals over the aristocratic intentions of Hamilton. Chernow presents an entirely different man, whose legendary ambitions were motivated not merely by self-interest but by passionate patriotism and a stubborn will to build the foundations of American prosperity and power. His is a Hamilton far more human than we've encountered before-from his shame about his birth to his fiery aspirations, from his intimate relationships with childhood friends to his titanic feuds with. Jefferson, Madison, Adams, Monroe, and Burr, and from his highly public affair with Maria Reynolds to his loving marriage to his loyal wife Eliza. And never before has there been a more vivid account of Hamilton's famous and mysterious death in a duel with Aaron Burr in July of 1804. Chernow's biography is not just a portrait of Hamilton, but the story of America's birth seen through its most central figure. At a critical time to look back to our roots, Alexander. Hamilton will remind readers of the purpose of our institutions and our heritage as Americans.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible