Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers

Have His Carcase (edition 1995)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:Lnatal
Title:Have His Carcase
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperTorch (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:**

Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers

English (41)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  English (45)
Have His Carcase by Dorothy Sayers is the seventh book in her Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series and I enjoyed this one a great deal. Harriet Vane moves front and center in this story as she discovers a dead body on a beach. The second he hears of this, Lord Peter is there is assist her and ferret out the truth - is this suicide or a murder?

An entertaining puzzler that moves Harriet and Lord Peter’s relationship along. He is still throwing marriage proposals at her and she is still refusing but, the reader can’t escape that sparks are flying between these two and it is pretty obvious that the lady is on the cusp of falling in love. The mystery was intricate and inventive. The banter between Lord Peter and Harriet was crisp, funny and irresistible. These two characters are made to be together and I look forward to reading more about them.

I have enjoyed all of the Lord Peter mysteries but I would have to say Have His Carcase is my favorite one so far. This complex mystery combined with it’s charming romance made for a delightful read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 4, 2016 |
I read this as a buddy read with Keishon, who is slowly working her way through Sayers. It is the second of the four Lord Peter & Harriet Vane books, and I didn't remember liking it very much. I'm very glad I reread it, though, because except for one scene whether they really snipe at each other, the relationship develops nicely. Lord Peter asks Harriet to marry him a bit too often, but most of the time they're detecting.

It's a complicated mystery, with a body that seems to have been placed somewhere no one could have reached, and the investigations lead to several red herrings. But it's fun watching the strands get untangled and in the end the murder makes sense. Bunter has a great scene following one of the suspects.
  Sunita_p | Mar 5, 2016 |
Whimsy and Harriet Vane work together to solve another murder she's stumbled upon. I love their conversations, which are both natural and incredibly witty. There are some misunderstandings between them, but it is so obvious that they belong together that I squee whenever they're on the same page. Contains some great quotes about relationships, including "But you must remember that one may have an important love for an unimportant person." As to the mystery, I had the key fact figured out within like 10 pages, so eh. Sayers, get more ingenius! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I believe this was the first Peter Wimsey novel I read, in a copy belonging to my parents. I was drawn in by the pseudo-Ruritanian plot (as I loved and still love Ruritanian adventures) ; at the time I knew nothing of the novel's place in the whole Wimsey-Vane saga. I have seen a critic refer to this books "longeurs" but actually I think it gets off to a faster start than several of the others and has some interesting twists. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 22, 2015 |
In this book, Sayers gets back to the Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane romance, and provides a pretty complicated murder mystery as well. The story starts with Harriet taking a walking tour, and while walking on an isolated beach she discovers a body. She tries to get help, and finally makes it to town where she heads to the police station. Mysterious strangers she meets along the way add to the list of possible suspects. Of course Lord Peter comes rushing to her aid. (Not that she wants it). The dialog between the two characters is charming, and Harriet still keeps saying "No" to Wimsey's proposals of marriage. Bunter is once again on hand to help with the detecting. Very enjoyable.

In the author's note, Sayers says that "In The Five Red Herrings, the plot was invented to fit a real locality; in this book the locality has been invented to fit the plot." ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |

Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Næsted, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The best remedy for a bruised heart is not, as so many people seem to think, repose upon a manly bosom.
"I have seen unpleasant cases, difficult cases, complicated cases, and even contradictory cases, but a case founded on stark unreason I have never met before."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043524, Mass Market Paperback)

The mystery writer Harriet Vane, recovering from an unhappy love affair and its aftermath, seeks solace on a barren beach -- deserted but for the body of a bearded young man with his throat cut.From the moment she photographs the corpse, which soon disappears with the tide, she is puzzled by a mystery that might have been suicide, murder or a political plot. With the appearance of her dear friend Lord Peter Wimsey, she finds a reason for detective pursuit -- as only the two of them can pursue it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:22 -0400)

"The mystery writer Harriet Vane, recovering from an unhappy love affair and its aftermath, seeks solace on a barren beach -- deserted but for the body of a bearded young man with his throat cut. From the moment she photographs the corpse, which soon disappears with the tide, she is puzzled by a mystery that might have been suicide, murder or a political plot. With the appearance of her dear friend Lord Peter Wimsey, she finds a reason for detective pursuit -- as only the two of them can pursue it."--Amazon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,719,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible