Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers

Have His Carcase

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:AnnaClaire
Title:Have His Carcase
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers (Author)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:broken subject headings, fiction, mystery, @ 823, @ PR

Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers

English (39)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (43)
This mystery was good - not a straightforward, easy-to-solve one - but some parts lingered on for longer than I would have liked. I love codes and codebreaking, but even so, some of the discussions about solving the code were just way too long. The banter between Wimsey and Harriet was good. More of that, please! ( )
  Lindoula | Dec 27, 2015 |
I believe this was the first Peter Wimsey novel I read, in a copy belonging to my parents. I was drawn in by the pseudo-Ruritanian plot (as I loved and still love Ruritanian adventures) ; at the time I knew nothing of the novel's place in the whole Wimsey-Vane saga. I have seen a critic refer to this books "longeurs" but actually I think it gets off to a faster start than several of the others and has some interesting twists. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 22, 2015 |
In this book, Sayers gets back to the Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane romance, and provides a pretty complicated murder mystery as well. The story starts with Harriet taking a walking tour, and while walking on an isolated beach she discovers a body. She tries to get help, and finally makes it to town where she heads to the police station. Mysterious strangers she meets along the way add to the list of possible suspects. Of course Lord Peter comes rushing to her aid. (Not that she wants it). The dialog between the two characters is charming, and Harriet still keeps saying "No" to Wimsey's proposals of marriage. Bunter is once again on hand to help with the detecting. Very enjoyable.

In the author's note, Sayers says that "In The Five Red Herrings, the plot was invented to fit a real locality; in this book the locality has been invented to fit the plot." ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Harriet Vane, on a walking holiday, discovers a body on a rock about to be washed away by the tide. She examines and photographs it. The police have to decide if it was suicide or murder (the body is eventually recovered) and Sir Peter Wimsey travels down to assist and vouch for Harriet. Overall very enjoyable, especially the relationship between Harriet and Peter. The plot is pretty convoluted and far-fetched, but it moves along briskly for the most part, although I did skim various paragraphs about timings and horses and speeds and skipped an entire chapter in which a cipher is broken. Bunter shadowing a suspect was a lovely chapter. My enjoyment was slightly marred by the fact that my copy is missing four pages and I somehow managed to remember the fact which is the key to the whole thing from the last time I read it, about 25 years ago! ( )
  pgchuis | Jul 15, 2015 |
Another good mystery featuring Wimsey and Vane. Not quite as good as Strong Poison, perhaps, but still a nice read with some very amusing moments. ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 26, 2015 |

Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Næsted, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The best remedy for a bruised heart is not, as so many people seem to think, repose upon a manly bosom.
"I have seen unpleasant cases, difficult cases, complicated cases, and even contradictory cases, but a case founded on stark unreason I have never met before."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043524, Mass Market Paperback)

The mystery writer Harriet Vane, recovering from an unhappy love affair and its aftermath, seeks solace on a barren beach -- deserted but for the body of a bearded young man with his throat cut.From the moment she photographs the corpse, which soon disappears with the tide, she is puzzled by a mystery that might have been suicide, murder or a political plot. With the appearance of her dear friend Lord Peter Wimsey, she finds a reason for detective pursuit -- as only the two of them can pursue it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:22 -0400)

"The mystery writer Harriet Vane, recovering from an unhappy love affair and its aftermath, seeks solace on a barren beach -- deserted but for the body of a bearded young man with his throat cut. From the moment she photographs the corpse, which soon disappears with the tide, she is puzzled by a mystery that might have been suicide, murder or a political plot. With the appearance of her dear friend Lord Peter Wimsey, she finds a reason for detective pursuit -- as only the two of them can pursue it."--Amazon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,037,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible