Breakfast with Buddha: A Novel by Roland…

Breakfast with Buddha: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Roland Merullo

Member:chefcmore
Title:Breakfast with Buddha: A Novel
Authors:Roland Merullo
Info:Algonquin Books (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 323 pages

Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo (2007)

Recently added byherzogm, KT53Lam, koprek, private library, jslantz1948, alo1224, beanwarrow, loftuskm89, Sanne31

So so. Interesting read for the most part and then we arrived at the last sentences and he totally disappointed me Maybe I am just too old for this. ( )
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Wonderful! ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
So different, quirky, and fun to read -- yet at times touching and soulful. The characters are warm and I enjoyed the messages the author sneaks in.

Highly recommend this book to those who can think outside the spiritual box we sometimes put ourselves in through the teachings of our church or religion and find themselves wishing for a little of the serenity the characters discuss in the book.

It is not a book about buddhism, but truly a "road trip" novel about one character's self-discovery.

Placing on my "keep" shelve in my library. ( )
  kglattstein | Aug 18, 2017 |
Wonderful. Not many books can claim to be funny and mystical, but this one nails it. I can't wait to read Dinner with Buddha. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Humor is a prelude to faith and
Laughter is the beginning of prayer.
--REINHOLD NIEBUHR
Like the lark that soars in the air, first singing, then silent, content with the last sweetness that satiates it, such seemed to me that image, the imprint of the Eternal Pleasure.
--DANTE, "Paradiso"
Genuine belief seems to have left us.
--WALT WHITMAN, "Democratic Vistas"
I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear.
--WALT WHITMAN, "I Hear America Singing"
For
Arlo Kahn
and
For
Michael Miller
My name is Otto Ringling (no circus jokes, please) and I have a strange story to tell.

When his sister tricks him into taking her guru on a trip to their childhood home, Otto Ringling, a confirmed skeptic, is not amused. Six days on the road with an enigmatic holy man who answers every question with a riddle is not what he'd planned. But in an effort to westernize his passenger---and amuse himself---he decides to show the monk some "American fun" along the way. From a chocolate factory in Hershey to a bowling alley in South Bend, from a Cubs game at Wrigley field to his family farm near Bismarck, Otto is given the remarkable opportunity to see his world---and more important, his life---through someone else's eyes. Gradually, skepticism yields to amazement as he realizes that his companion might just be the real thing. In Roland Merullo's masterful hands, Otto tells his story with all the wonder, bemusement, and wry humor of a man who unwittingly finds what he's missing in the most unexpected place.

At the behest of his sister, Otto Ringling finds himself reluctantly accompanying her guru, an enigmatic Mongolian monk, on a trip through Middle America to their childhood home, introducing his passenger to some American "fun" along the way.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible