AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David…

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail (2006)

by David Miller

Recently added byNickiNicki, jason.rathburn, morville, BrieAnn, weber93, 1Randal, rayski, private library

This book could have been much better if Miller spent more time describing the hiking trail, the equipment, the do's and don'ts and less time naming other AT hikers. OK we get it, people take on pseudonyms but do we really need to get everyone you passed into the book or was that a way of selling more books? How did he prepare and get in shape for this? He said he rarely hiked and wasn't in shape but I find it hard to believe he went from the couch to the trail the next day.

All that said I still found Miller's writing style easy and enjoyable. However I was always left wondering if the next passage would include equipment descriptions or some helpful information about the next segment of the trail. Instead the book is little more than a story. You might say so what, but the book is advertised as the manual for hiking the AT. ( )
  rayski | Aug 1, 2014 |
ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have always had a fascination with the Appalachian Trail. When my oldest son was in boy scouts he and I made a pack to hike the trail some day. He is now a grown man with a career and family and I am middle aged and hate to exercise. Hmmm....we still claim we'll do it some day but for now I entertain myself reading every book that comes across the desk about the trail.
Miller aka AWOL is a father with a wife, young children and a job who decides to thru hike the trail. With the support of his wife he quits his job and fulfills his dream. This books is his journey and it is full of information about the trail and the people he encounters. I enjoyed this book because he wasn't on a spiritual journey or in any way preachy about his adventure. This was the right thing for him and he shares it with the reader. ( )
1 vote Daydrm | Feb 12, 2013 |
David Miller, packed up his things and prepared for the 2,172 miles of the Appalachian Trail. The chronologically written, non-fiction story, AWOL on the Appalachian trial by hiker himself, is written to show his day-by-day experiences on the trail. In order to fulfill his dream, of covering every mile from Georgia to Maine he must endure happiness and pain to reach bliss.
David Miller, also known by trail name 'AWOL' began the trail as an unfit man in a cubicle. He is a very spur of the moment type of guy and does not back down to the many struggles the trail has to offer. AWOL is simply a thru hiker, one that does all 2,000 or so miles in one stretch of time. He is known as a purist, because he believes every part of the trail must be walked upon in order for the title of 'thru hiker' to remain true. The book is based on his highs and lows of the green tunnel (Appalachian trail). He does the hike on his own, however he has the privilege to meet many great people, hikers and hostel owners along the way. The book A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson is a book that can be compared to this one. They both take place on the Appalachian trail, and take you on the journey following the white blazes. However, Bills journey is a little different, and is also accompanied by someone as he tells his story of the riveting experience. David Miller's informational foot notes and scattered pictures keep you even more mesmerized by his accomplishment of hiking the AT.
This book, for me, was an udder inspiration. Every free chance, this book would be in my hands. The uplifting way he comes through such struggles, leaves you hooked and wanting to know more. Although he faces mental and physical downfalls, I always wanted to be on the trail following in his foot steps. Mature, readers with an eye for travel and adventure should read this book, to see a precisely written journal of a man dedicated to fulfilling his dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail. ( )
  abbiesue8 | Jan 13, 2013 |
This wasn't my favorite AT journal, but it wasn't bad. The author is pretty bland, but every once in a while his wit made me snicker aloud. ( )
  FireandIce | Nov 29, 2012 |

"In 2003, software engineer David Miller left his job, family, and friends to hike 2,172 miles of the Appalachian Trail. 'AWOL on the Appalachian Trail' is Miller's account of this thru-hike from Georgia to Maine. On page after page, readers are treated to rich descriptions of the Appalachian Mountains, the isolation and reverie, the inspiration that fueled his quest, and the rewards of taking a less conventional path through life. While this book abounds with introspection and perseverance, it also provides useful passages about hiking gear and planning. This is not merely a travel guide; it is a beautifully written and highly personal view into one man's journey..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

152 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,485,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible