AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David…

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail (2006)

by David Miller

Recently added byTassin, private library, PJGraham, jf1989, smallbrownbushbird, sandra.k.heinzman

Another great book about hiking; my third in two months. This one is by a man and his solo adventure of five months on the AT. It convinced me that I'm not interested in doing such a long and arduous hike myself, although I would like to do a much less challenging one myself someday. David Miller had an incredible supportive wife, as he quit his job and left her and their three young daughters in order to do this hike. I liked his writing style and thoroughly enjoyed myself as I vicariously hiked along with him, lol, the length of the trail. I recommend this book, especially if you enjoy travel adventure as I do. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
This book could have been much better if Miller spent more time describing the hiking trail, the equipment, the do's and don'ts and less time naming other AT hikers. OK we get it, people take on pseudonyms but do we really need to get everyone you passed into the book or was that a way of selling more books? How did he prepare and get in shape for this? He said he rarely hiked and wasn't in shape but I find it hard to believe he went from the couch to the trail the next day.

All that said I still found Miller's writing style easy and enjoyable. However I was always left wondering if the next passage would include equipment descriptions or some helpful information about the next segment of the trail. Instead the book is little more than a story. You might say so what, but the book is advertised as the manual for hiking the AT. ( )
  rayski | Aug 1, 2014 |
ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |

"In 2003, software engineer David Miller left his job, family, and friends to hike 2,172 miles of the Appalachian Trail. 'AWOL on the Appalachian Trail' is Miller's account of this thru-hike from Georgia to Maine. On page after page, readers are treated to rich descriptions of the Appalachian Mountains, the isolation and reverie, the inspiration that fueled his quest, and the rewards of taking a less conventional path through life. While this book abounds with introspection and perseverance, it also provides useful passages about hiking gear and planning. This is not merely a travel guide; it is a beautifully written and highly personal view into one man's journey..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

124 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,985,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible